AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I take screen shots from a DVD on my PC? WinDVD seems to send the signal directly with the video device rendering the normal ineffective.

Is there other software I need?

--Burke

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There are piracy issues involved here and I believe that is why you can't take a picture. Apple's DVD player is also set up to do this (you actually just get some sort of empty mask when you do - but it is very cool when you paste it as a desktop picture... DVD on the desktop!) :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I found my own answer...
http://www.opendvd.org/myths.php3

The CSS security protection prevents you from making screen shots. One of the criticisms of CSS is that it prevents "fair use"

Quote:
``Fair use'' is the term to describe using video clips in presentations or taking a screen shot from the video and using it elsewhere. Since you purchase the media, what is there to say you are only allowed to sit down and watch it through?
--Burke

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Thanks for the info, I wanted to take screen shots of a few movies but Print screen-> paste gave me a pink-nothing.

Steve

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is another answer (to my own question). WinDVD 4 has a screen capture feature.
http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVD...ure=customscap

The full product costs $50 but you can download the demo version for free. In the demo version, you can't play a movie for more than five minutes, but if you know what you want to capture, five minutes is enough to make a few screen shots.

--Burke

·
Registered
Dedicated movie room with front projection and 7.1 surround.
186 Posts
Actually, even my registered version of WinDVD 3 used to take great screen shots, but I had to resize the end result from 720x480 to 852x480. The output file was a regular bitmap. I upgraded to WinDVD 4 and not only does it decode better, but the screen shots come out at the correct 852x480 resolution. I run the shots through PhotoShop and the end result is quite good.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.