AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to understand all the terminology involved in satellite TV, so that I can figure out if HD satellites are in view in the sky at my place. My situation is that I have a good view of the West, but the East is completely blocked by a building. Anything between about 180 and 360 degrees on a compass with magnetic declination compensation is open sky for me, but 0 to 180 is blocked.

Here is my understanding of the current satellites:

DirectTV has 3 satellites at 101, 110, and 119 degrees West Longitude, at about the equator.

DishNet has 2 satellites at 148, 61.5 degrees West Longitude, at about the equator.

For a while, I thought the 101 degree satellite was named that because it would always be at 101 degrees azimuth no matter where one was. But now I know that 101 is the longitude measurement, describing how far west of Greenwhich the satellite is on the equator.

San Carlos, CA where I live is about 122 degrees West Longitude.

So all these satellites would be to the east of due South for me, and would therefore be blocked from my view. This was confirmed by entering my zip code into the directv website, which said that I should point at 131 degrees azimuth.

Therefore there is no way for me to get HD over satellite.

Does this all sound correct?

-Tom

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well you're more or less correct give or take a couple variables. Is the building to the east definitely blocking your true look angle? Is it alot taller than you are away from it?

Regardless if HD is your primary goal from satellite you could almost certainly see Dish at 148 which would be at about 220 on your compass and from that satellite you could get HBO HD, Showtime HD, HD PPV, and CBS HD if you qualified for it and or otherwise wanted it.

Now without being able to see their 119 satellite as well, you wouldnt be able to get any of their Core SD channels but maybe that doesnt matter to you anyway. And you can sub to those 2 HD movie channels on 148 just by paying for the respective HBO and Showtime packages (although you wouldnt get all the SD channels in those packages). You would have to pay whats called a Access fee for not subbing to one of their core packages but thats only 5.00 per month. CBS HD from L.A. would be another buck and a half if they let you have it, and you wanted it

Maybe you were partial to DirecTv anyway but as you probably know, their HD is at the 119 and 110 satellites so 148 from Dish might be your only choice for HD from satellite if you truly are SOL on that other part of the sky.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the reply Dan. It's good to know that the 148 bird would work. I called up dishnetwork and it sounds like that might be the way to go!

I wonder if there will be any problems if the only dish I have is pointed at 148... anyone know if there are program guides, control signals, or updates that only come on the other satellites?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. It sounds like the only thing I would be missing out on HDwise is the HDNet channel, which is only on direcTV, not DishNet, right?

As far as the non-HD channels, I'm fairly happy with my current analog cable connection, because that actually gives better resolution than digital.

-Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.