AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my current plan for my HT (colours are probably way what' they'll be and the black lines in the pillar actually represent "light"):

Wherever there's gray, i'd like that to look like it's made of stone. Not "individual stones", but more of a stone texture everywhere. I probalby won't have the pillars & arches coming out of the wall very far because i don't want to waste room space.

What i would also really like to try is mimicing the "door to moria" look by having designs in the rock lighting up. I'd try to accomplish this by making the pillar slightly hollow, and cutting the design all the way through the surface of the pillar, re-filling the holes with some sort of translucent material, and finally putting lights in the hollow part.

The ugly black lines in the first picture represent fancy designs in the pillars, as do the triangles at the top of the arches

Pillar idea with lights in the hollow part.

Door to moria for people who don't know what i'm talking about (shame on you if you don't :p):

So...

My main questions are:

What's are the best ways to get a convincing rock "look"? Can drywall be covered with putty of some sort or cement that can be textured & painted to look like rock? Would it stand up to "thin" cuts for the designs? Maybe using wood or that fiberboard stuff would make a better base than drywall?

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
It might be easier to project an image of the door's glowing outline from a slideshow projector onto your faux stone wall.

You could use a holiday yard projector that people shine on the side of their house... recess it into your ceiling... wired to a dimmer that you control:

and get a slide made from the basic outline :

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You could probably build the columns out of MDF and then use a tectured paint applied with a trowel. This will give it an uneven look, sort of like venetian plaster. Then use a faux painting technique to really bring out the tecture irregularities. Essentially a glaze can be applied that tends to settle in the cracks and groves to make it resemble rock.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,653 Posts
As for getting the stone effect check your local schools (art and adult ed) for faux finishing techniques and go take a class. Or just read up on it and practice.

For the gates effect I would think about using that paint that glows when exposed to a Black Light.

Here is the first google hit:

http://www.clearneon.com/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good ideas, doing it with paint or a stenciled light sounds like a lot less work. The only problem with the stenciled light is that i was hoping to put a design on the door, which i would look funny when you opened the door.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found this site on how to make artificial rocks with cement, they use "texture mats" molded from real rocks to get the proper rock texture.

http://www.artificialrock.ca/sculpting2.html

Does anybody know if cement would stick to drywall? (my first guess would be no)

but I would assume some other type of material would do the trick (would stick to drywall or wood & work with a texture matt), I just don't know which one. Does anybody know if regular drywall putty/mud would work?

·
Registered
138 Posts
What a timely post. I'm working to solve the same issues for my LOTR themed HT. But you appear to be farther along than I am. I 'm brainracing using GM stretched over dowels and wires to simulate a craved stone. For Durin's Door I had thought of carving/routing out the design and using aluminum leaf as an inlay. But the camera/paint ideas have got me rethinking that. I'm a couple of months from starting the deconstruction of my basement. Gotta get the budget past the WAF approval board....

·
Registered
35 Posts
someone on avs had this done with some sort of UV/blacklight/fluorescent paint. the image was only visible when a special lamp was on.

i'll dig around to see if i can find a link, the only detail i recall is the owner was in colorado.

edit: the user is Orc Hunter and here is a link to a pic of his doors

edit: and here is a link to a post where he describes his setup

-miked

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
I 'm brainracing using GM stretched over dowels and wires to simulate a craved stone.

Were you planning to have that make up the bulk of the wall space? I thought of trying to do a stone look for the whole wall, but i thought it might be too hard to get a good stone look & good acoustics at the same time. I didn't research that too much though.

I'm not particularily making mine a lord of the rings theatre, but i'm taking things i like from lord of the rings (and other places). One option for you might be to put up murals like in rivendell to make up the bulk of the wall space (painted on some sort of fabric), not sure what the price of that would be though.

Quote:
someone on avs had this done with some sort of UV/blacklight/fluorescent paint. the image was only visible when a special lamp was on.

i'll dig around to see if i can find a link, the only detail i recall is the owner was in colorado.

edit: the user is Orc Hunter and here is a link to a pic of his doors

edit: and here is a link to a post where he describes his setup

Thanks!

From those pics it looks a little dimmer than i would have liked, but i probably can't trust a picture. I'll probably order some and test it out as it currently seems like the best option.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You could check out this page as a starting point for scenic painting techniques Rosco . It assumes some knowledge of scenic painting, but it should serve as a starting point for the stone look. For the light-up lines you could consider side-emiting fiber-optic, you could basiclly embed it into your wall texture and probably even put a really light glaze of the paint over it so that it would be nearly invisible with the fiber not lit, but when you lit it up it could still glow thru. Forgive me if any of this is too vague, I work in live theater and these are the kinds of things we deal with all day long.

Good luck on a great idea, I bet it will look cool however you do it,

Brian

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts

AngrySaki said:
Were you planning to have that make up the bulk of the wall space? I thought of trying to do a stone look for the whole wall, but i thought it might be too hard to get a good stone look & good acoustics at the same time. I didn't research that too much though.

I'm not particularily making mine a lord of the rings theatre, but i'm taking things i like from lord of the rings (and other places). One option for you might be to put up murals like in rivendell to make up the bulk of the wall space (painted on some sort of fabric), not sure what the price of that would be though.

My thoughts right now are the do the columns only by this method. I'm looking of the rough hewn look.

For the upper walls I am planning to go with murals or flags/banners with my collection of LOTR swords. There is a german website with a full line of LOTR flags and banners.
http://www.flaggen-pehl.de/

The door leading into the theater would be Durins Gate.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the links gobler. I've searched online for foam and how to do stuff with foam before, but haven't had much luck. But i have one question.

In your first link that links to a bunch of foam, which one is the polystyrene foam?

I ask partly because most of the foam on that site is pretty expensive, except for the Melamine foam, and i'm trying to get an idea of the cost.

Thanks.

DJMarceau:

That flag store is pretty cool, i think i might have to get some of those. I was going to try to maybe make some myself with my own design, but it sounds like a daunting task.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I put up that link to show the types of foams and the fact they have acoustical foam. For your walls I would suggest going to your local Lowe's/Home Depot and buy the 2 inch thick blue (not available in Cal) foam or the white styrene foam They come in sheets 4x8 feet and 1 or 2 inches thick. You can use an electric carving knife or make a wire cutter (using the links above for that info) to cut the boards. Take measurements and use a fine point sharpie to draw the patterns. You can use a wood burning tool to carefully carve your patterns. DO THIS OUT DOORS as the fumes are toxic. We use a two part polly foam mix to fill in gaps but you can use the "Great Foam" in a can found at any hardware store or Wally Mart. Take your time and after you have the walls attached where you want with the foam, brush (or use a spray gun) to apply the hard coat. Any more questions feel free to ask, I will do my best to answer. Best of luck and btw, I named our HT The Mirkwood
just need to build it

Cheers,

Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.