AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to install an auxillary vga/3.5mm connection to my htpc. I'm going to run a svga cable from my projector to a wall outlet and then run a 3.5mm patch cable from the wall outlet to the computer.

Since I have not been able to find the cable lengths I want, I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction I need to go to make my own SVGA cables.

Making my own will help in running the cable through the 2X4 top plate in the wall because the SVGA terminal is pretty big. I have found some parts for svga stuff but not the cable terminals.

Does anybody know where I can find some solder on terminals for svga cables?

What kind of cable do I need to use for this application?

Will CATV work? I have a ton of that stuff lying around.

Adam

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I finally found the "hood" pieces that I need for the connections. I would have never thought to search for hood.

I still need info on the cable. I'm pretty sure the cat v won't work. I have found the SVGA plenum cable, but it is kind of expensive. Is that my only solution?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi there

You seem to be on the wrong path. If "3.5mm patch cable" means a mono (1 channel) or stereo (2 channel), unshielded audio, then this is not what you need. You need cable to carry RGB signals, so CATV coax and (twisted pair) Cat5 won't work.

The SVGA plenum cable would be ideal. Fire/building codes usually require riser or plenum rated cable when it is installed in walls.

Instead of "hood" or "terminal" look for "HD15 connector" or "VGA connector".

Have you considered buying a long VGA cable that is already terminated at both ends with HD15 connectors (from a vendor like Monoprice), and then just cut off one end? That way 50% of the work is already done.

Regards

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt /forum/post/0

I finally found the "hood" pieces that I need for the connections. I would have never thought to search for hood.

I still need info on the cable. I'm pretty sure the cat v won't work. I have found the SVGA plenum cable, but it is kind of expensive. Is that my only solution?
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...&keywords=DB15

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.