AVS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Can a HTPC do like some of the Bluray players are doing and have 2 HDMI outs, one for video to TV and other the audio to AVR? That would solve the issue with AVR's not being able to pass through 4k/60hz material, etc? Or am I missing something?
My HTPC does this. I have a Dell Precision Workstation which I moded with a GTX950 (one HDMI out and 3 DP outs) to use as an HTPC/Music DNLA server. The HDMI goes directly into my Samsung JS8500 (4K HDR TV, but GTX 950 is only 4K capable, no HDR from my PC) and a DP to HDMI converter cable from one of the DP to my Marantz SR6011 (though myAVR supports 4K and HDR, I just dont want the video go through AVR). If I want to play something on MPC HC player or JRiver with multi-channel sound, I just select Marantz as my Audio device in windows sound settings, video will play on TV as as the default monitor, audio will go to Marantz. I have played Atmos clips and videos and plays fine. So, in a nutshell, as long as your PC recognizes your AVR as a multi-channel sound device through the DP to HDMI cable ((which mine does), it is just fine as it is just another sound device for PC, (though not sure about your Denon and Video card). Running Windows 10 Anniv edition, all latest updates, drivers and FW on all devices.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Really? I don't have personal experience on the new model, but I have been using the first gen Samsung K8500 UHD disc player for one year, and I am happy to say I had no issues with it.
Take a look at the RS600 thread in the High End Projectors forum, there's been a lot of discussion of the various machines.

Here's a recent summary:
...I decided to fire up the Samsung 8500, firmware update and a quick A/B between the Samsung and UB900. long story short I should have boat anchored the Samsung a long time ago. Colors are still overcooked in HDR and overall sluggish performance vs the Panasonic.

I recommend keeping the UB900 and getting rid of the Samsung. All the calibration in the world isn't going to help this player. you may as well start with a good known baseline player before a full calibration.
I remember there was also talk of red push, but that might have been in the HDR->SDR conversion. Seems there was also talk that the Panasonic/Oppo were sharper as well. On top of that the Panasonic is still getting nice updates, recently they added a (I forget what they call it) adjustment that can boost the brightness in the mid tones which can help nicely with some of the darker titles.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Take a look at the RS600 thread in the High End Projectors forum, there's been a lot of discussion of the various machines.

Here's a recent summary:

I remember there was also talk of red push, but that might have been in the HDR->SDR conversion. Seems there was also talk that the Panasonic/Oppo were sharper as well. On top of that the Panasonic is still getting nice updates, recently they added a (I forget what they call it) adjustment that can boost the brightness in the mid tones which can help nicely with some of the darker titles.
Well, that is if one pairs it with a projector, probably due to HDR-SDR conversion that the player does not support. If pairs it with a UHD LED TV, there are no issues. I don't even notice the "red push" thing but I rarely watch 1080p Blu-ray anyway. I bought it for UHD disc playback and in that regard, it has been a great player.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Here's a recent summary:

Yes, Zombie and Javs and you and many others can see what my eyes can't.
the image looks beautiful on Sammy to my eyes. It does a great job upconverting. And for a $200 to $250 player, it has everything that I need: Netflix HDR (BTW looks great), Amazon HDR, Youtube 4k, and many others.

Not saying that Panny and Oppo are bad, just saying that those players don't have the features that Sammy has. If I like the picture that Sammy produces, don't think I want to care about other players that cost more than twice

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Well, that is if one pairs it with a projector, probably due to HDR-SDR conversion that the player does not support.
We're not talking about HDR->SDR conversion (which it does support, but does it very badly) this is with HDR capable projectors. I'm not trying to say anyone should change if they've already got a Samsung (though I'd at least research it), but I stand by my recommendation not to buy a Samsung if you're in the market, the Panasonic is a much better machine.

·
Banned
186 Posts

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Huh ??? none-sense!
I had a gtx960 before and it supports HDR.

https://developer.nvidia.com/getting-know-new-hdr
The 900-series pre-dates the finalized HDMI 2.0 spec and the 950/960 fall in at the end, just after HDMI 2.0 was fully locked down, and pack a different GPU design than the other 900-series cards. You can get some HDR functionality out of them, because of Nvidia's own early HDR software implementation that differs from the standard used in Windows 10, but they are not the same as the 1000-series, which fully supports HDR and has HDMI 2.0B to use it with UHDTVs and monitors that allow HDR over HDMI. There is no guarantee that you will get functional HDR from a 900-series GPU with any HDR display and people's own experiences with that generation of GPU connected to the HDR-capable UHDTVs clearly show that. Last year's HDR demos at Computex were all done on AMD cards and not Nvidia, because Nvidia didn't have HDR worked out and Pascal wasn't released until after Computex, so Nvidia had no HDR functional until this year's CES and Computex shows, where they used the 1000-series GPUs and rigged the demos with sub-par SDR displays to make their cards look favorable with HDR displays. If there's one thing the last few generations of Nvidia GPUs have taught us, it's that Nvidia loves to promise what they cannot deliver. Thus far, the 1000-series hasn't really shown any hardware issues like it's predecessors, but we're not at the point where new software and hardware functions have parity with one another to see what is what. By the end of the year, we'll have another HDR update to Windows 10 that may sort things out and we'll obviously have HDR monitors by then, so we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
880 Posts
We're not talking about HDR->SDR conversion (which it does support, but does it very badly) this is with HDR capable projectors. I'm not trying to say anyone should change if they've already got a Samsung (though I'd at least research it), but I stand by my recommendation not to buy a Samsung if you're in the market, the Panasonic is a much better machine.
I think everyone entitles to his own opinion. I can only speak of my own experience with the Samsung K8500, and I am happy with it and would recommend it. I am sure the Panasonic one is a good machine too, but I can't justify paying triple the price when I am happy with Samsung's picture. I am sure some people will prefer OPPO over Panasonic too.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts