1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
STOP! looks like that patch is for the xe1 which is either the australian or european version of the xa2

those can be made region free. as far as i know none of the

us models including the xa2 has been ever made region free.

be careful not to brick your player.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng /forum/post/12892213

STOP! looks like that patch is for the xe1 which is either the australian or european version of the xa2

Mine is an Australian E1 - so it is likely to work, yes?

Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've made my XE1 region free. Even upgrading to 2.7 it kept my region free status, so I'm very happy with the player now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
you will not brick your player with the region free firmware it will help out some movies on your players, ive got firmware for all 3 plus ive got downgrade firmware for all 3 ....

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng /forum/post/12892213

+1

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxa1user /forum/post/12892860

you will not brick your player with the region free firmware it will help out some movies on your players, ive got firmware for all 3 plus ive got downgrade firmware for all 3 ....

So,this works on the european version of the XA2?

The link says works on US model too.

Anyone tried it on their XA2?

Would love to make the XA2 Region-Free for SD-DVD

·
Registered
111 Posts
this is my firmware and yes ive given it to a few in the usa and told not to talk about it .... im not into wrecking peoples hddvd players, it wont make it complete region free with pal movies but does let some play more from region 2,3,5,6

·
Registered
868 Posts
What the hell! So now its supposed to work with US players?

This would be handy and would enable me to get rid of the old Region 0 player.

Anyone make this work on the A2?

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxa1user /forum/post/12893003

this is my firmware and yes ive given it to a few in the usa and told not to talk about it .... im not into wrecking peoples hddvd players, it wont make it complete region free with pal movies but does let some play more from region 2,3,5,6

Thanks

Not playing pal movies is down side for me.

Still a cool hack

·
Registered
111 Posts
it will play some pal movies that what im saying , i dont know what it will play or wont... i know it has worked with some peoples pal movies and some it doesnt, as like the rce problem the others have that cant play rce disc

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The patched firmware will modify the drives firmware internally only, not the players firmware, as far as I know.

That's the reason, why firmware updates afterwards will keep the status "regionfree" as far as it has been modified.

Some advanced protection schemes will still be left behind / engaged.

Unfortunately the "regionfree" firmware is version is 2.51.

So if You have updated to 2.7 allready, You will have to downgrade beforehand.

This is kind of tricky... I have been told.

PS.: Well, does'nt seem so afterall.

Look at hdxa1user's next post.

·
Registered
111 Posts
the downgrade firmware i have has the region free firmware built already into it , so one downgrade then jump up to latest firmware...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
This is why I regret not having a few extra Sampo 631CF players in the attic: PAL DVDs are the only ones I have that need a region-free player. I do so love how the DVD rules remain the same despite the HD disks being less restrictive. One would think the marketing crap would start to grow old when a new format is spreading...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Figures, I guess...there's finally a region-free hack for HD DVD players, but it works on the one that's virtually impossible to find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i understand dvd decrypter will strip the region code when you copy a disc, but my player still says it's not an ntsc disc and won't play it.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Anyone with US XA2 brave enough to try this? Please take one for the team

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
plenty of info over at AVForums, i made mine region free but the only region 2 dvd i own is also PAL, and i was really hoping E1 software would of made my A2 PAL ready...well after many tries...it didnt!!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man /forum/post/12896089

plenty of info over at AVForums, i made mine region free but the only region 2 dvd i own is also PAL, and i was really hoping E1 software would of made my A2 PAL ready...well after many tries...it didnt!!

Not a peep of useful information on modifying US spec XA2 on that forum.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts