AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Malata DVP-520, and am extremely happy with it except for one glaring problem: the output is too red. I'm not talking just a little bit; it's extremely noticable.

Before receiving the Malata, I calibrated my TV with AVIA using a Toshiba 3109 connected via component; using the color bars and the decoder check, I could get it nearly perfect.

When I plugged in the Malata via the same component cables, though, the color was just horrid. I calibrated with AVIA using the Malata's hue and saturation controls, but I couldn't get it even close (didn't want to use the TV color controls, as my TV doesn't have separate settings for each input): if I got the color bars set up correctly, the red was way off the scale on the decoder check (something like +25). To bring the red down to an acceptable level, I had to crank saturation down to below 130, which of course throws the blue and the green way off.

Has anybody else noticed a similar problem with their Malata, or did I just get a bum unit? I tried searching for a similar problem, but couldn't find anything.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Malata are made in China, some of the models are being discontinued like the N-996 and some 520. I bought the Toshiba SD-4800 so I wouldn't have to buy a discontinued or problematic machines such as the Malata are noted for.

·
Registered
180 Posts
DPlatt,

Just a shot in the dark, but if the 520 is like my 996, you have to go into the menus and tell it to use a component connection. By default, it is set for Composite/S-Video. The first time I connected via component w/o doing this, my color was also way off.

Change from "CVBS Y C CVBS" to "CVBS Y Cb Cr/Y Y Pb Pr".

If you already knew this, or if the 520 is not similar, please excuse my ramblings! :)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip, sbarnhar, but I don't think that's it-- I changed that setting when I first hooked it up. The entire screen was red before I changed it, but now it just appears to have an *extremely* bad case of red push.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.