Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)

I want to buy a DVD player that can convert PAL to NTSC. I am not new to this and have been using various means of converting PAL to NTSC but it seems that the best solution is either a MALATA or JVC since they seem to work mostly the same.

However, I am leaning towards the MALATA since it has x-y scaling. I was looking at the MALATA DVP-520 on the HKFlix web site and they claim the newest firmware update was May 30, 2002

I am curious to hear from other MALATA DVP-520 owners who have this firmware version (or newer) and if their MALATA seems to be working well.

Any JVC people want to try and convert you are welcome if you can convince me that the JVC is better than the MALATA. If I do go with a JVC it will probably be a XV-S500 or XV-S502 which I understand are the same (more or less) otherthan one is black and one is silver.

Anyways, MATALTA owner's please speak up :)

- John "FulciZombieFan" Coleman

P.S.

I need the ability to play back DVD-R discs does the MALATA and JVC do this equally well?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
John, I have the Malata N996, which has worked very well for me. The x-y scaling & perfect PAL-NTSC conversion make this player a must-have for me. The Malata 520 has the same features, but is less tweakable than the N996. The JVC may be a more stable player, but it lacks x-y scaling. All these players have the same Mediamatics chip inside.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I believe you can find hacked versions of the JVC with x-y scaling. Malata 996 is likely still the best option (if you can find one).

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Since I happen to be a JVC XVS500BK owner

I don't have to convince anyone including the fulci fan!

My cool running JVC mod will x, y, scale only *PAL* anamorhphics, no cheap always in the shop Malata made in China for me. AVS member told you about his Malata N-996, but failed to tell you they're *discontinued*, too much *heat* problems.

I have a *cool* running Toshiba SD-4800 that will handle non-A in Region 1, you can believe me or not, I don't have to prove myself to anyone! I have a long track record here at AVS for telling the truth!:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Easy on the N996-bashing, pals. Ye Fulci enthusiast is thinking of buying the Malata 520, not the N996. Heat issues have been resolved in newer Malata models.

I happen to own the N996. I lucked out insofar as I own one of the sturdier examples of that machine. I've never had an overheating problem and the model itself is ridiculously flexible in terms of what it can do (has the expert audio menu the 520 lacks plus all of its best features, etc.). And X-Y is useful for watching *all* DVDs on a normal TV, not just the PAL anamorphic kind.

Still, if I hadn't had the option to test this exact machine before buying, I'd have gone with the JVC (not the 502 but the 600/2). So far as I know, JVCs feature zooming but not X-Y scaling. What they will do is non-squeezed PAL anamorphic conversion. That and the zoom feature should take care of most of what you need.

However, my current player of choice is the Phillips 963SA, which goes for more ($399) but also makes CDs sound incredible due to 192/24 upsampling, can be hacked to be Macrovision free, ships from Norway region-free and with PAL conversion, and is bound to be more durable than either the JVC *or* the Malata. I'll be picking one of those up next year, but I'll keep my Malata for special problematic DVDs.

Also: Having a Samsung (Tetra?) television will eliminate the need for anamorphic conversion, since the television itself resolves the ratio problem. There's a cheaper clone sold on Best Buy that does the same thing (sorry, don't know the brand or model). I imagine you could use any multi-region DVD player you wanted with either of those two sets.

And by the way: I just spent the past few weeks re-watching Fulci's House by the Cemetary, The Beyond, Don't Torture a Duckling and City of the Living Dead. Tonight, I intend to waft into unconsciousness watching Bava's Blood and Black Lace. I can't understand how other people fall asleep without counting bodies.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Guess I lucked out too with my Malata N996 (& I have one of the older ones) -- it doesn't have the overheating problems & has been running great.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This is for John's benefit: ( many of you have probably read my comments on the Malata before).

I have the Malata 996 and have never had a heat problem. It has never been in the shop. The x,y scaling feature is fantastic. If you have an ounce of "tweakers blood" in you, you will love the Malata.

For the life of me, I can not understand why one of the major brands does not use this feature? The newer machines have a built in upgrade feature if needed. The 996 is my only DVD player.

John, if you have any further questions, please let me (us) know.

Regards, Tom B. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
If I buy the JVC XVS500 at Best Buy, will it do PAL>NTSC? I realize it won't do all regions, but I don't need that. I'm just looking to play my region 0 PAL DVD-Rs on an NTSC TV. Anyone know if it will do this? To buy a modded one would cost me over $100 more, so I'd rather get it at BB if it can do PAL>NTSC.

·
Registered
27,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Blizzard
I have the Malata 996 and have never had a heat problem. It has never been in the shop. The x,y scaling feature is fantastic. If you have an ounce of "tweakers blood" in you, you will love the Malata.
The first Malata 996 I had shipped to me arrived DOA. I blame that on the delivery service as much as anything. The replacement model has played flawlessly since arrival, never once overheating or giving me trouble.

As far as pure performance goes, its picture quality is middle-of-the-road, but for its PAL-to-NTSC conversion and wealth of features it is a fantastic machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a modified JVC XV-SA600 and so far so good.

It can zoom in and zoom out and the zoom out show that I am missing

only a little on the overscan of my 32" direct view TV.

I can play region 1 to 6 and the PAL converts into a great NTSC image.

I had the old Apex and the conversion was very poor and the machine

hung on many different menus.

Dear rnranimal, I don't think JVC out of the box will do the conversions

of PAL into NTSC for you. You may find a hack that will reset the region

of the player, but without being able to convert a PAL format to a NTSC

format, your US TV will not display the picture. The only other region that

uses NTSC format is region 2 discs for Japan only. Region 2 discs for UK

or Aussies are in PAL. I checked into buying a JVC 500 or 600 at best buy

and then sending it in for modification. Shipping out $20, modification $80

and shipping back $20. You are now up to the price that the modifiers

want to sell their unit for, net no savings.

I am still trying to find out if there is a way to switch back and forth

on the DVD-audio feature, but is because of having an old receiver.

·
Registered
27,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by echamorro
The only other region that

uses NTSC format is region 2 discs for Japan only.
Region 3 Hong Kong is also NTSC for home video. Although, oddly, they use PAL for broadcast TV.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rnranimal
If I buy the JVC XVS500 at Best Buy, will it do PAL>NTSC?
Absolutely not. Your best shot is to buy it at HKFlicks and use the free shipping option (if you can stand to wait, that is). I haven't found a better price. They sell the Malata 520, too.

The 963SA *will* come down in price eventually, but the machine hasn't even been released in the states yet. Everyone who has the 963 in their possession got it from soundform (or somewhere equally far off). And do note that, while shipping from the Netherlands is expensive, soundform offers the same price for the modded region-free unit as J&R and other domestic outlets do for the standard version.

Unlike JVC machines, a Phillips player can be hacked with a Palm Pilot or a Pronto remote (and perhaps a new model of Motorola cell phone). The Malata 520 and N996 don't need to be hacked at all, of course.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scrypt
If I buy the JVC XVS500 at Best Buy, will it do PAL>NTSC?
Why not try it and let us know. I have a few PAL Region 0 DVDs. They don't play on my Sony DVP-S7000, but play flawlessly on a JVC XV-S500 at local Circuit City, and on both JVC XV-S500 and JVC XV-SA600 at another local retailer.

My question: does any one know for sure if all Region 1 JVC XV-S500 and JVC XV-SA600 have built-in PAL->NTSC converters? Thanks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by echamorro
I have a modified JVC XV-SA600 and so far so good.

It can zoom in and zoom out and the zoom out show that I am missing

only a little on the overscan of my 32" direct view TV.

I can play region 1 to 6 and the PAL converts into a great NTSC image.

I had the old Apex and the conversion was very poor and the machine

hung on many different menus.

Dear rnranimal, I don't think JVC out of the box will do the conversions

of PAL into NTSC for you. You may find a hack that will reset the region

of the player, but without being able to convert a PAL format to a NTSC

format, your US TV will not display the picture. The only other region that

uses NTSC format is region 2 discs for Japan only. Region 2 discs for UK

or Aussies are in PAL.
Just to clarify that Australia is Region 4.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm in the market for a new player. Does the Malata 520 allow you to save a couple different scaler settings for easy access?

Basically, I'm looking for a player that can do it all AND do it easily (for the family to use). I want to be able set up the player so that I can easily switch between normal NTSC playback, scaling non-16x9 to 16x9 image, and PAL->NTSC playback in 16x9, and do them all in good quality progressive scan output. And I do not want to have to see a zoom icon or anything like that.

FYI, I will be using the player w/ the Panny 53wx42 TV, if that matters at all.

Thanks.

_Man_

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Man-Fai Wong
I'm in the market for a new player. Does the Malata 520 allow you to save a couple different scaler settings for easy access?
Yes, it does, Man-Fai Wong. What it doesn't do is give you the N996's expert audio menu. I've also heard there are pixellation artifacts. (Not so with my 996.)

On the other hand, it runs cooler than the 996 and is also smaller.

And remember: there's a newer Malata that also plays DVD-Audio but also gives you the rest of the features you want. You can ask the HKFlix guy for details.

Malata's no fly-by-night company and they're not about to fade. They're just far away.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Scrypt,

Are you sure the 520 can save scaler settings? From what little info I can find, it sounded like the 520 might not do it since it doesn't have the standby mode like the 996.

Also, if I scale non-16x9 DVDs to 16x9 for display on a 16x9 TV, will subtitles get pushed below/out of the picture like typical zooming functions?

My new Panny 53" TV has a zoom mode already, but the quality isn't good plus it pushes subtitles out of the picture.

Thanks.

_Man_

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
A new improved Malata is due out in Jan/Feb 2003. It will have improved Interlacing, subtitle playback and scaling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.