AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally my wife got her Swedish DVD's so we could try out the Malata. Problem is that when I go to the DVD menu so I can turn on English subtitles it's just a dark screen.

Any ideas why?

Tack (Swedish for Thanks),

Kevin

:confused:

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
We need more information that that.

What TV? How is it set up? Connected? What menu setting do you have the Malata set to?

Title of the DVD in question?

Have you checked out the MALATA BUSTING THREAD over HERE

Part two of the thread is HERE

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, didn't mean to be so obtuse. I assumed it was an easy, "Oh it's an idiot user, you just have to do this".

I will check system when I get home tonight and reply with specs. So far we've only checked the one DVD.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Checked out the Malata busting thread; boy i wish i had known more about this player before i decided to try one. If anyone is thinking about getting one: think twice (or more!)

I just got back from HK this week and bought my Malata at Fortress for $225US. However it's been a nightmare. It constantly freezes and or stops and goes to the welcome sign on a variety of discs (ntsc Shrek, pal to ntsc kung fu stuff, etc.) I looked in to sending it back after not being able to contact anyone over there by phone (yes, in their time zone!). But it would cost $111.00US to ship it by fed ex. I am going to send in the warrenty card and see what happens and also try calling the Canada service center number. I'm sure it will be months before this thing is even usable or I just might have eaten over two hundred bucks.

It took hours just to set this thing up because it there was very fast scrolling on the menu that I couldn't read. After tons of experimenting, I was able to get an all green signal off of a computer monitor hooked up through the vga. then i made the settings and got a pic on my set but the freezing/resetting started.

the reason i bought this player was for the Hong Kong Legends discs, but now i am afraid of buying any even if I get the Malata fixed. This player seems like a piece of junk that can go out at any minute; then I would be stuck with a bunch of dvds i couldn't play and definately wouldn't buy another Malata.

If anyone has any similar experiences or dealings with their warrenties, words of encouragement or advice please let me know! I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Dean

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
After tons of experimenting, I was able to get an all green signal off of a computer monitor hooked up through the vga.
skoolpsyk,

you must have a different production run/model than the one

imported into the states since the ones that came through

canada currently don't have vga output (no 15 pin connector).

Quote:
Finally my wife got her Swedish DVD's so we could try out the Malata. Problem is that when I go to the DVD menu so I can turn on English subtitles it's just a dark screen.
wannabeswede,

did you check to make sure that the malata is set for auto ntsc

conversion under the signal type?? i'm pretty sure that sweden

is PAL, so if your display can't handle PAL natively, the malata

will have to handle the conversion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
skoolpsyk,

I heard your malata has VGA port. Does it also have a switch to the right of the vga that says upgrade. Also to the left of the vga do you have a second set of left and right audio inputs with a video input. Last does your player have DVD Audio

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
yes, but the cineultra is confirmed to have DVD audio capability while the Malata is not DVD capable. Also the cineultra has an extra set of two channel composite outs and the VGA is switchable to accept upgrade. I wanted to know if his Malata not only has VGA but also DVD audio

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Malata N996 does not have VGA out or DVD Audio. So the poster above who had a nightmare experience does not own a N996. He has the Euro version, which is a different machine, from the same guts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Matt

Do you know if the euro version will output progressive through the component output or just the VGA output. I heard that the cineultra can only output progressive throgh VGA. Ihope this is not so for the Malata.

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Sorry, I am not sure. I have read a lot of posts that conflict with each other. I wish someone here had the machine, so that we could fund out for sure.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsiegel
Matt

skoolpsyk,

I read your post that you have a malata n996. Can you tell me if it is DVD-Audio capable. Have you tried any DVD-Audio disks? Also I have read that the cineultra which is very much like your player only outputs progressive signal through the VGA out. Can your Malata output progressive through the component output as well or just VGA output? Last does your machine have a second set of audio/video output to the left of the VGA and to the right of the VGA does it have an upgrade switch. I hope you get your Malta running soon

Your help is very much appreciated

Thanks for your reply
It doesn't look like it is DVD-audio capable. I don't have any discs but from what i remember of the rear panel and in the manual make me think it can play dvd-audio discs. It does have the upgrade switch on the back and a vga port. It can do progressive through the vga or componants. I can't answer the question about the second set of a/v outputs because it is double boxed and taped up at the moment...

I will keep you updated on how they handle my problem. I faxed and sent by global priority mail my warrenty info, etc. to Canada.

·
Registered
51 Posts
skoolpsyk

It is my understanding that units purchased overseas including china will not have a North American warrenty. Please let us know if your warrenty for a China machine is honored here.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsiegel
skoolpsyk

It is my understanding that units purchased overseas including china will not have a North American warrenty. Please let us know if your warrenty for a China machine is honored here.

Thanks
You are right; they told me today they will not honor it. I am going to contact my credit card company to see if they can help.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Malata N996 does not have VGA out or DVD Audio. So the poster above who had a nightmare experience does not own a N996. He has the Euro version, which is a different machine, from the same guts.
It is definately a N996.

There may be different versions of it out there but they must use the same model number for all of them.

It says N996 on the front of the machine, on the box, and on the receipt.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
It is definately a N996.

There may be different versions of it out there but they must use the same model number for all of them.

It says N996 on the front of the machine, on the box, and on the receipt.
i'll bet that malata has a different internal model/part number for it.

i suspect that this like the situation with toyota in different

world markets. even though the model names are the same,

the headlights from the euro models won't bolt into the

us or japanese models. (headlights from my landrover

are interchangeable between the different markets)

for fun, try fitting euro E-code head lights for an eclipse

into a US market eclipse. (the support structure in the

front end is totally different)

another example is the pioneer dvl-919.

the us market version is ntsc only, with a crippled remote.

the HK market version is PAL/NTSC with a jog and shuttle remote.

they have the same model number.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.