AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is going to Shanghai next month and I want to buy a region free DVD player. Mainly used for HK Movies. Malata and Skyworth, which one is better?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Malata owners will say MALATA and Skyworth owners will say Skyworth. If you want to view Hong Kong films, then the PAL "HONG KONG LEGENDS" dvd releases are an absolute must, as they are vastly superior to anything else out there. No contest.

That means, unless you can do native PAL on your setup, the MALATA is your only choice between the two, as it does a CONVERSION to PAL. The Skyworth does not.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It uses the C-Cube ZiVA-4.1. Its used in the Aiwa XD-DV370KN. I have only seen one review, which was very positive about video quality. However, that player is not (apparently) progressive. On the other hand, about any decoder would be better than the Mediamatics decoder (see: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-2-8-2001.html

).

Interestingly, there seems to be a discrepancy between the description on hizone and the manufacturers website: www.av-bbk.com. Its the matter of onboard DTS decode.

Ernie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.