1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
They are both High Speed certified so on their own they are capable of all that. HDMI spec does not have a long list of optional features that cables can support or not support.

Keep in mind that High Speed capability becomes more difficult at longer lengths (25') and connecting certified cables together in a chain doesn't mean the end result will retain High Speed capability.

In your case I think you will be safe though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 /forum/post/20814243

They are both High Speed certified so on their own they are capable of all that. HDMI spec does not have a long list of optional features that cables can support or not support.

Keep in mind that High Speed capability becomes more difficult at longer lengths (25') and connecting certified cables together in a chain doesn't mean the end result will retain High Speed capability.

In your case I think you will be safe though.

What does high speed do anyway? Also notice that the HDMI is 28AWG and the extension is 24AWG though the tech from monoprice told me that there's no issue about it, i just wanted a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
From HDMI.org:

Standard (or category 1) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.

High Speed (or category 2) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23
From HDMI.org:

Standard (or category 1) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.

High Speed (or category 2) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).
what will happen to this "doesn't mean the end result will retain High Speed capability." Did you mean if the HDMI is too long it can become just a standard speed?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Though nothing will actually 'happen' to the signal your Source is Outputting!

Output 1080p over a High Speed cable and all should be fine!

Output 1080p over the majority of Standard cables and again all should be fine - if not you will see Sparkles, image drop out or colour casts due to the cable attenuating the signal, you can then choose to either replace the cable or drop the Source back to 1080i.

Joe

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i decided not to go with more longer cable,, my question now is what is the recommend lenght for high speed hdmi.?

I was thinking to try Monoprice cable, heard their cables are high quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.