AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed Copy a Work in Progress

Quote:
Some of the Blu-ray Discs consumers are buying today have a feature built in that isn't advertised and can't be accessed.

Managed copy offers consumers the ability to make at least one full-resolution, DRM-protected copy of the Blu-ray content they own, a requirement of the new licenses content owners sign with the Advanced Access Content System Licensing Administrator (AACS-LA), the industry consortium in charge of licensing AACS copy protection used on Blu-rays.

But while managed copy is now required, several issues are keeping it from being immediately and widely available. . .
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/dig...progress-18513

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Managed copy is working just great for me. I manage to copy what ever I want.

My media server and my media extenders are all Linux boxes and no matter what they choose to do with managed copy it is going to require you own either Windows or possibly a Mac. Any solution they come up with will leave me doing exactly what I am doing now, the way I do now so they can keep fiddling while Rome burns as far as I am concerned.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blu-ray's Managed Copy Is Finally Coming Next March

Quote:
The managed copy requirement was initially required to go into effect Dec. 4, as part of the final licensing agreement for AACS, the copy protection used on Blu-ray discs. However, the live date has since been moved to March 31, 2010 by AACS-LA. From March 2010, studios will be required to offer consumers a backup copy of every Blu-ray disc they buy. However, no Blu-ray players in the market yet have the capability to make the backups. This means that PC drives will likely to be the first products to support managed copy.
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=26972

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Why in gods name would anyone want to fork over their credit cars to the studios again, for a DRM'ed copy with restricted playback to only those "authorized devices" the studios deem acceptable?

Instead consumers should just fork over their credit cards to Slysoft and give themselves un-managed copies they can do with as they please and playback on any device supporting the codecs or they can re-encode to any format they need.

Remember the WMV-HD experience where licensing servers were shut down. Does nayone really expect the managed copies to playback long term?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

Quote:
Managed copy is also not working with Apple products since there's been no AACS-LA submission from Apple, at least until now. However, some studios have worked with Apple to provide Digital Copy for iTunes, affording customers who purchase DVD and Blu-ray movies with an additional iTunes Digital Copy of the movie.

Just like movies purchased from the iTunes Store, an iTunes Digital Copy can be transferred to iTunes and then viewed on a PC or Mac, iPod with video, iPhone or on wide screen television with Apple TV.

So how long until Microsoft or some one else gets the bright idea that they can use managed copy to drive customers to their proprietary store rather than making managed copy work the way it was designed. This has train wreck written all over it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Managed Copy has been a complete fiasco from the start. I'll be amazed if even 1% of Blu-ray buyers ever make use of it. Heck, I don't even mess with the "digital copy" they keep pushing on us. Too much hassle by far.

Every day I'm more glad that I invested in the Antiguan solution for my media center needs. Every piece of media purchased by me, and I'm accessing it on my own terms.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Managed copy was a good idea, but was implemented to late. Other software companys has already given us the ability to do managed copy that works with any form of playback device.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Now that Walmart is buying Vudu, I think they will frown upon managed copy and want it to go away. I am just not sure how much pull they have with the studios.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog /forum/post/18188394

Now that Walmart is buying Vudu, I think they will frown upon managed copy and want it to go away. I am just not sure how much pull they have with the studios.

Managed Copy works from a BD disc you buy. It has nothing to do with VOD/PPV

And WM has BIG pull with the studios. They sell 40% of the DVDs sold and 30% of the BDs sold

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18189800

Managed Copy works from a BD disc you buy...

Um, while true, that is misleading. You do not watch a managed copy from a BD disc. You "copy" it to an AACS protected device so that you can watch it without using a BD player at a later time.

With VuDu you "copy" a movie (via the Internet) to a VuDu device so that you can watch the movie at a later time (you have 30 days and 24 hours after it first starts).

As more and more TVs, BD players, and other devices support VuDu, IMHO, Walmart will promote that it is a better way to watch movies than from a managed copy. Why make a copy from a disc when you can watch something on multiple devices that support VuDu (for a small fee and limited time)?

btw, I am not a fan of VuDu, but can see Walmart as promoting it to an alternative to BDs with managed copy.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Managed Copy is a disaster. If you want to do backups or use a media server get 3rd party software to rip the content. They'll make MC such a pain for the consumer that it'll be a checkbox feature with little real world usage.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog /forum/post/18190264

Um, while true, that is misleading. You do not watch a managed copy from a BD disc. You "copy" it to an AACS protected device so that you can watch it without using a BD player at a later time.

That is one option of MC. The other is to make an exact copy of the BD on a BD/R/RE. Now you have two "copies" of the movie you bought at the store - the original and the clone you made.

Quote:
With VuDu you "copy" a movie (via the Internet) to a VuDu device so that you can watch the movie at a later time (you have 30 days and 24 hours after it first starts).

Nope - not anymore. Vudu is now a streaming service. Their widget is imbedded in HDTVs and BD players - no hard drive needed. Just some buffer memory. Works the same as On Demand from CBL and SAT with a regular STB - no DVR needed.

Quote:
As more and more TVs, BD players, and other devices support VuDu, IMHO, Walmart will promote that it is a better way to watch movies than from a managed copy. Why make a copy from a disc when you can watch something on multiple devices that support VuDu (for a small fee and limited time)?

You are comparing apples to bricks - VOD/PPV to buying a BD from a store then making a copy of it to play on other CE equipment. Each BD has it's own serial number. You aren't going to be able to rent a BD from Netflix then preform MC. The serial numbers for all rental discs will be loaded in the AACS-LA servers. When it sees a serial number that corresponds with a rental disc - it will not allow a copy to be made.

Quote:
btw, I am not a fan of VuDu, but can see Walmart as promoting it to an alternative to BDs with managed copy.

Again - apples and bricks.

Vudu is going to compete against VOD/PPV from CBL/SAT/TELCO and Amazon. And iTunes. Anyone who is offerring a PPV service. Not Neflix's streaming because there is no additional charge for that.

They offer D/D streaming. In both HD and SD

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18190861

You are comparing apples to bricks - VOD/PPV to buying a BD from a store then making a copy of it to play on other CE equipment. Each BD has it's own serial number. You aren't going to be able to rent a BD from Netflix then preform MC. The serial numbers for all rental discs will be loaded in the AACS-LA servers. When it sees a serial number that corresponds with a rental disc - it will not allow a copy to be made.

First most apples and bricks come in shades of red, They are also avaiable in other colors such as yellow, brown and green.

Second, I though managed copy was going to be mostly marketed as follows:
Quote:
...a fast and easy way to enjoy your favorite Disney movies, anytime, anywhere on your PC, Mac, or compatible portable device. Disney fans can watch their DVD in the living room and enhance their mobile lifestyle with DisneyFile Digital Copy and bring their movies on the go!

Isn't that what Walmart will want with VuDu? ...a fast and easy way to enjoy your favorite movies, anytime, anywhere on your TV, CE device, etc..

Now it is true many here just want a backup of their BD to store away, but I doubt that the magority of people will be doing that. They want more ways to acces a video.

Quote:

Vudu is going to compete against VOD/PPV from CBL/SAT/TELCO and Amazon. And iTunes. Anyone who is offerring a PPV service. Not Neflix's streaming because there is no additional charge for that.

They offer D/D streaming. In both HD and SD

I agree, except for the Netflix part. If Walmart finds a good way to offer a suscription service, then in the future they will compete with Netflix.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts

Quote:

The PPV model of Vudu did not seem to be doing very well and I think Walmart will put little emphasis on that business model. FREE is where its at, movies (older titles) that are supported by commercial interruptions that can not be skipped over.

Now, back to our scheduled
over Managed Copy.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog /forum/post/18191188

Second, I though managed copy was going to be mostly marketed as follows:

Isn't that what Walmart will want with VuDu? ...a fast and easy way to enjoy your favorite movies, anytime, anywhere on your TV, CE device, etc..

AFAIK, MC was only announced for BD. That Disney info - isn't that their "Cloud" solution?

Vudu works from:

1. Vudu STB

2. HDTV's with their widget embedded

3. BD players with their widget embedded

If you are watching a movie on your new HDTV with the Vudu widget - how are you going to get it from the HDTV to some other device? It's in streaming mode.

Quote:
Now it is true many here just want a backup of their BD to store away, but I doubt that the magority of people will be doing that. They want more ways to acces a video.

And MC allows that - at a reduction in resolution. Only a BD clone will maintain HD. If you copy it to a DVD or WMV, you are at SD resolution. And of course, no HD audio.

Quote:
I agree, except for the Netflix part. If Walmart finds a good way to offer a suscription service, then in the future they will compete with Netflix.

Netflix doesn't offer D/D titles with their streaming. Only catalog titles. Vudu does. Which will be important with the 28 day delay that WB has instituted.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/18191608

The PPV model of Vudu did not seem to be doing very well and I think Walmart will put little emphasis on that business model. FREE is where its at, movies (older titles) that are supported by commercial interruptions that can not be skipped over.

Now, back to our scheduled
over Managed Copy.

It wasn't doing very well when you had to buy a Vudu STB at $150. Now you don't have to. Just get a CE device with their widget installed. And this change is very recent.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/18175885

Managed copy is working just great for me. I manage to copy what ever I want.

My media server and my media extenders are all Linux boxes and no matter what they choose to do with managed copy it is going to require you own either Windows or possibly a Mac. Any solution they come up with will leave me doing exactly what I am doing now, the way I do now so they can keep fiddling while Rome burns as far as I am concerned.

And this is how it should have been. The cat is well and truely out of the bag and if Hollywood really thinks that they can control this, then they are living in the films that they create.

Once someone comes out with a one stop ripping (including selecting just the film and just the HD track), compressing (if required) and burning app, that will burn to DVD or BD, then it's game over. We have the first part of this with AnyDVD HD, but the rest is a bit skecthy to say the least.

The only thing that stops this from being more previlant is the complexity of turning a ripped film into something that can be played elsewhere.

And I look forward to that day. Maybe then Hollywood will be forced to actually be reasonable about how people can use media that they bought in their own homes or with their own devices.

Seggers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts