AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on picking up an Onkyo 609/360 in the next week or so for my HT and hope to use the Zone 2 out to push another two pair of speakers (one in my kitchen and another outside on the deck).

The 609 doesn't allow you to run a full 7.1 (which I'll be using in my new HT) AND push Zone 2 speakers. Either I give up my surround backs pair or purchase a dedicated Zone 2 amp.

If I give up the Surround Backs and use the line level then the only reasonable solution I came up with was purchasing a speaker selector and using that to choose which of the Zone 2 pairs I was going to use, if not both. But with it being an Onkyo, I worry about impedence issues and over cooking the receiver.

I've also considered a second, Zone 2 only, amp but the volume controls will be hard to reach and not as integrated into the initial AVR amp that will have a Droid app controlling it.

Any suggestions on home wiring and how to integrate this my Zone 2 speakers into this? Are there wall switches that could help?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That product looks outstanding.. and the wall plate is quite cool. Unfortunately to build out that setup appropriately, it will probably put it out of my price range.

Any other thoughts?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
You might check out the owners manual(I know the "upper" receivers can pull this off...but a 609....eh)...

You might be able to use the 6/7 amps to run the second zone while using the 6/7 pre-out to actually run speakers. Depends if the 609 gives you that...or not.

Either way(with a 7.1 receiver) you need the extra amp anyway. Just in your case if the 609 will allow that, good for you and the 609.

The other issue with the 609(and this is purely a guess based on my 1007) is the Zone 2 pre-out is fixed...meaning the amp has to have volume control.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
If you can solve the amp issue (also look at the nice and very cheap AudioSource amps, available all over eBay for a good zone2 amp) - if the Onkyo receiver has network support, there's also the iPhone/iPod app for controlling them. IIRC they have the zone2 controls on them...

Jeff

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recognize that I'm not getting a fully functioning whole home audio solution with an Onkyo 609 (or their Denon 1912/Pioneer 1021 counterparts), so I realize I'm trying to make lemonade our of lemons.

I'm content with losing any signal out of my surround backs when when I'm pushing Zone 2 audio in another room, and I fully intend on using my Android phone to manage the Zone 2 stuff there.

I still have my Denon 3803, though I considered selling it to help pay for some of my new HT gear, so I could have the pre-outs on the 609 go into that and push the Zone 2 speakers in the kitchen. Perhaps use the A and B speakers on that Denon? Seems like overkill to keep a whole 7.1 receiver for what amounts to 2 channel amp stuff, but I know it has the juice to push those speakers.

Any idea if the 3803 can be set up to manage multiple pairs of speakers? Or if there are automation tools like wall switches that could help easy managing them?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
You won't be the first person using their prior AVR to slum it running Zone 2...

By the way, if you go look over on Ebay and set the search filter for "completed listings"...you won't be too impressed at what the 3803 has been snagging.

But, look at the brightside. You could connect it to 6 pairs of speakers and do "all channel stereo", which I assume the 3803 has...then when you only need 2 pairs up...switch it to speaker A/B(that kind of thing would only take 10 seconds to accomplish)...and to boot. If somebody wants to connect an ipod and listen, there won't be any reason to even include the Zone 1 HT at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great points schan.

Not that you have a great deal of experience with this, but any experience with the 3803 and isolating which speakers (or zones) can play a given set of music. I figured that I can use 6 channel stereo, but if I only want to use it in the kitchen I don't want to blast out those on the deck or in the cellar.

And any ideas how to augment using the 3803 with speaker volume knob wall plates or something? Maybe turn on 6 channel stereo on the receiver with some sort of opt out volume switch wall plate for each set?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
If the 3803 also does multizone, then you already have the ability to do Zone 2 and Zone 3. So, that my be your answer already.

If not you can get in-line volume attenuators(I call then attenuators...they be called volume control). Those can be in the wall with the room...or at the rear of the 3803, just depends on what is more convenient for you.

Edit:

Yeah I just looked, the 3803 does have a 2nd zone...so...

You can get a receiver that does Zone 2 and 3, then run each pre-out into the 3803, then activate its own own Zone 2...with a 2nd set of independent controls.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong here schan... but I go from line level out of the 3803 to these switch boxes and control volume there, independently?

I assume I'd leave the 3803 usually at a set volume and then vary sound level in each zone based upon those switches?

That sounds like the best bet if that's possible.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
You can do it either way you want. Won't make a bit of difference.

If it is easier to set the 3803 and adjust the gain into it...or use speaker attenuators afterward...so be it.

IF it is easier to just run the line out to the 3803, then use its two volume controls...so be it.

Both are the correct choice.

I've never heard anybody complain about having "too much control" over their multi-zone.

If you do buy a Zone 2 out(and not a Zone 3) you can always RCA split the signal into the 3803, then you have 2 different volume controls, without having to buy anything but RCA splitters...
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-AH96PBN-Pi...3528880&sr=1-3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.