AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to keep my component/vga (dvd), s-video (cable tv), and rca (playstation) inputs plugged into my receiver and x1 and toggle b/w then as necessary. I thought I could simply run the cables from the components to the receiver and from the receiver to the x1 and simply toggle using my receiver remote, but it isn't working--it seems the x1 is confused by the multiple feeds. I just get a blank screen.

Any suggestions for how this can be accomplished? I sure don't want to plug and unplug cables depending on the component I'm trying to run.

Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
well the connection you feed the X1 has to be the equivalent of what you get. Each one should have it's own seperate connection because they are all different. You need the component to come out of the rec as component, the s-video needs to hook up to the X1 via Svideo and the Ps2 to go composite.

You may as well hook each right to the X1.

If you needed 3 of each you could do it, like 3 s-video and one s-video out of the rec, that would be ok.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
I just read a better explanation.

"Your receiver will NOT convert one video type to another. Anything you send via SVideo will only be visible on the SVideo Output. Same with Composite. Same with Component."

Hope that is simpler than what I wrote.

·
Banned
539 Posts
The VGA side of the X1 only accepts progressive scan input. Regular TV is interlaced, so it won't work. Not sure about your game machine, but the same applies (actually it takes one interlaced resolution and that is 1080i HDTV.)

It sounds like you already have all three hooked up and working. Why not just continue toggling through your choices with the X1 remote.

Where you will really need some kind of splitter is when you get HDTV and want to continue inputting your progressive scan DVD player over the VGA/component connection.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simmike
Where you will really need some kind of splitter is when you get HDTV and want to continue inputting your progressive scan DVD player over the VGA/component connection.
There is one more situation:

If you want to use the Infocus Component-to-S-Video cable (interlaced - this has a special 7-pin configuration), you cannot feed it through the S-Video of the receiver without losing the extra pins.

I wish Infocus provided a good Y-splitter add-on to circumvent this problem.

EJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
If someone wanted to switch between two HDTV sources to the x1, say a progressive dvd player and an HDTV reciever using the one VGA input on the x1, would a standard computer monitor A-B switch work? Assuming that all sources were using the 15 pin HD connector and all pins were being simulatanously switched, I can't see there being a problem, other than maybe some signal degration. What do you guys/gals think??

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'm using the cheapest VGA manual A/B switch I could find and it works fine for me between my computer and my HDTV 1080i. Others have reported that some switches give them ghosting. I'd say try one, and if the first one doesn't do the job then return it and try another brand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must be doing something wrong b/c, when I run all three inputs into the x1 (component/vga, s-video, and rca) and I get no signal. I've tried to override the autosource manually (for example, by selecting computer to get the component signal) and it doesn't worl. Only when I unplug the other two inuts can I get one of them to work.

I am not mixing the signals and trying to convert from, say s-video to component. Shouldn't i just be able to leabe the x1 on autosource and toggle with my receiver?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Does your receiver really switch all 3 source signals and have outputs for each: composite (RCA); S-video; and component (3xRCA)?

Can you be a bit more detailed about what cables (connector type, not make) are run from the sources to the receiver, what the receiver is (make/model), and what cables you are running from receiver to X1?

Has each source worked individually on the X1? And have you tried all 3 to the X1 at once (manually selecting the correct source on the X1 remote) without the receiver in the middle or only through the receiver?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not sure which receiver that you are using, but I'll explain my setup:

I have a Pioneer Elite receiver that all of my components are plugged into. The receiver accepts component, s-video and composite signals, in and out).

Those components that are capable of progressive scan (DVD and XBox) are connected via component cables and I have component cables that go from the "Monitor out" port to the X1. I connect them to the x1 using the component => vesa adapter.

The non-progressive signals (sat, vcr) are connected to the x1 using a standard s-video cable that is run from the receiver "monitor out" to the x1's s-video input.

Switching is done through my receiver and everything works great. It does take the x1 about 10 seconds to re-sinc when I change sources before the picture comes through. One nice feature of the x1 is that it remembers the screen layout of the source (dvd: 16 x 9, sat: native, etc...), so I do not have to change it each time I switch sources.

You might want to contact the customer service department of your receiver manufacturer and explain your problem. It seems that if your receiver does the switching, it should work the same way with your x1 as it does with any other component.

Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd like to add all the things I've tried that definitely don't work, unless someone can point out an adjustment I don't know about.

I have an Onkyo HTR500 (ok, so it's not a Pioneer Elite) and a Sharp DVD-RW recorder w/ progressive playback.

6 ft s-video cable from DVD to X1, 480i: Superb!

6 ft s-video cable to onkyo, 6 ft s-video from onkyo to X1, 480i: Yech!

6 ft component cable from DVD to X1 using progressive playback, 480p: Looks ok, but no competition for Faroudja here. It looks slightly better in 480i.

6 ft s-video from VCR or Tivo to X1: As good as I have ever seen a VCR or Tivo.

6 ft s-video from VCR or Tivo to DVD recorder, 6 ft s-video to X1; picture is noticeably darker with less definition.

20 ft s-vhs cable from pccables.com: yech.

I love the X1, but it's almost too good. So far anything but a short thick direct pipe to the projector reduces the quality to where my non-videophile eyes just can't accept the compromise. My ultimate objective is to put the components 30+ feet from the projector and switch them on a remote with an imperceptible loss in video quality. Is that possible for a price that doesn't dwarf the cost of the projector?

Jim

·
Registered
351 Posts
Most of you already know this but keep in mind that picture quality will vary depending on:

1. Quality of original material's signals and equipment. You can't get good signals from craps.

2. Type of signals from best to worst: 720P or 1080i, 480p & 480i.

3. signal formats from best to worst: Progressive Component Video, Interlace Component Video, SVideo and Composite Video.

4. Losses/interferences due to number of connections and/or components.

5. Losses/interferences due to cables and connectors

Rule of thumb,

1. Start with best available source materials (HDTV, good progressive DVD player etc...).

2. Go with the best signals and signal format that is available from the source device(see above).

3. Limit the number of connections and devices between source and pj. Ideally, go direct from source to PJ without going through another components such as DVD writers, VCR, Receiver etc...

4. Use quality cables and minimize interference (RG6 double/quad shielded component video cables for long runs).

Some examples from Oldfella's setup:

1. Oldfella is using S-Vidio 480i instead of Interlace component video which is also 480i. He should be able to see improvement bet. the two. He is using too many S-Video signals which may be the cause of the unacceptable video quality.

2. His DVD player's quality maybe in question if the progressive signals are not better than 480i. Its been told that not all DVD players are created equal.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The reason for 480i being better in this case is all the Faroudja in the X1. It does a better job deinterlacing than the non-Faroudja deinterlacing in the DVD player. Even with the DVD player having the advantage of doing everything in the digital domain, and the Faroudja having the disadvantage of not even having component input to work with. Not that the progressive output of the Sharp is all that bad, it's just not as good as the Faroudja

But, it sort of makes sense that projectors at $900 + have different economics than mass produced dvd players and even apparently a $400 dvd recorder. After seeing the difference I poked around to see what a Faroudja based DVD player would cost. There are very few available, and getting fewer as apparently companies are more concerned with cost cutting than quality improvement. The few that are out there are $200 more than non-Faroudja equivalents.

The S-video vs component is a valid issue, but the problem is that the component adapter for 480i goes into the S-video port. So you either get 480i hookup or S-video hookup, but not both. I want to play VCR material, so I either have to up-convert that to component (make a bad signal worse) or down convert the component DVD material to S-video (making a good signal slightly worse). Not an easy choice.

Jim

·
Registered
351 Posts
Oldfella,

I connect my 480i thru X1's S-Video connection and VCR thru. the composite connection. I know composite is not as good as Svideo, but I don't want much VCR materials anyway.

I don't have a progressive DVD so I can't comment on 480i vs 480p DVD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.