AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found reason to use manual record for the first time when I noticed that the guide was 6-hours off because VH1 posted their schedule in EST only. Does anyone else out there have reason to do manual recordings?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have used a manual recording when the show is not in the guide. The guide has only two weeks worth of programming information. Web sites (HBO, Showtime) display a whole month or two. So if I see a movie that I want to record I can either wait until it is in the guide or set up a manual recording.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I use manual recording for Charmed, because ER always starts a minute before the hour, and I want to pad it at the beginning to get that minute. If I scheduled Charmed the regular way, the overlap would prevent one of them from recording. So I schedule a manual recording from 9-9:59 on the WB.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Once a week, My local cable company airs a sports show I can't use the guide because it doesn't show the proper name. If I try to record all episodes, it records everyday. With manual record, I get the show once a week.:)

·
Registered
640 Posts
>Nothing like an HQ recording of "Stargate" or "Buffy" off the uber-res analog sat feeds.

Sure, but I'll still try for Stargate when it airs, so I can feed 5.1 audio into my H-K surround system. (I have a 4DTV). It'll be a shame to lose that 5.1 when Stargate goes to the SI-Fi channel this June. (Sigh).

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have an RCA DTC100 connected to input 2 (S Video) on my Replay 3060 and a Bell ExpressVu 6000 connected to the Input 1 port. The DTC100 is controlled by the 3060 via a serial port connection.

Since the Replay can only control one box, I use the standard program guides to record DTC100 SD content and manual recordings to capture ExpressVu content from the BEV6000.

Of course this necessitates setting timer events on the BEV 6000, but one nice feature of the "Dish"6000 is that unlike the DTC100, the user can pre instruct the BEV6000 to output in SD mode and it will automatically switch from HD output to SD output when the timer event is executed.

The ReplayTV manual record has many uses and I use it all the time. It would be nice if the end user could annotate the content so if several manual recordings were made, one could distinguish among them without having to rely on a good memory (mine, not the 3060's), but this is really a minor problem.

Dave

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use it to do a negative "padding" on the end of a show to allow the beginning of another without a conflict. The local ABC often starts a minute early while the other "on-time" channel is still doing trailers for the next week. If they are back-to-back on the same channel, no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NetFlix + ReplayTV = The Perfect Combo. When a DVD arrives, I set up a manual record, then mail back the DVD. That way we have a nice assortment of movies to watch whenever we feel like it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have two conflicting nightly shows, The Tonight Show and

Politically Incorrect. Usually, P.I. starts during the middle of

T.T.S., and since I usually just want only the first half ot T.T.S.,

I have to set up a manual record for MTWThF 11:35PM to

12:06AM, then P.I. starts TWThFS 12:06AM to 12:37AM.

Sometimes P.I. runs late and the last-minute change does

not get into the guide, so I set another manual record from

TWThFS 12:37AM to 01:15AM. Normally I get a rebroadcast

of the previous 11:00 News if P.I. didn't run late.

I agree with L.C.Dave; I wish we could enter our own

program info for these manual recordings to differentiate

them!

Take care... blabber:cool:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blabber
ISometimes P.I. runs late and the last-minute change does

Why don't you use padding for this?

Quote:

them!
That feature was added on the 4K.

·
Registered
493 Posts
(((quote from barmar))):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by blabber ....

Sometimes P.I. runs late and the last-minute change does

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(((Why don't you use padding for this?)))

There's method to my total madness; I like keeping the

programs in different buckets so I can dump them out

when not needed without affecting the others... some-

times I don't watch them right away and they take up

memory.

quote:

them! :)

(((That feature was added on the 4K.)))

Great. I'm too cheap to buy a 4K right now and using a 2K.

Someday, perhaps. :D

Thanks! ... blabber:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.