AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a manufactured manual pull-down screen, i.e. Stewart, Draper, Da-Lite, that has horizontal masking built-in? I know that there are plenty of electric options, but my budget will not allow me to buy one. I am looking specifically for a six by eight foot manual pull-down with an additional pull-down masking shade.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Darren:

I have surfed the web and forum sites for all kind of masking options and I've never heard of such an animal. If you do find on, please let me know ...it would be great idea if its at a resonable cost. The electrics are so expensive. I use the ole foam board covered with felt and velcro it to the screen.....works but a little troublesome.

dre

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dre -

Thanks for the reply. I guess if we have both done our homework, and still have come up blank, then it must not exist. I assumed that posting in this forum would have given me some answers...but I believe that the echoing silence indicates that I need to find my own way to mask my manual screen.

I will probably buy an 8' by 6' Dalite Model B with video spectra fabric. I may mask it using your velcro method. I am also going to look into installing a black window blind directly in front of the screen. This will provide me the horizontal masking on the upper part of the screen. I can raise and lower the screen to accommodate the lower border...the wall behind the screen is dark blue. I intend on sizing the image to fill the width of the screen, so vertical masking should not be an issue.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven't actually try this, nor do I know anybody who has but...

What about buying a second (cheap) pulldown screen, cutting it appropriately, then painting it black? The only problem then would be possible shadow but that could be somewhat easily addressed.

Just a thought.

Flipper G.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flipperg -

Good suggestion...I believe that my idea of installing a black window blind in front of the screen is a similar solution...and probably cheaper. I'll post my results when I figure which way to go.

Darren

·
Registered
395 Posts
Darren and Flipperg:

I have thought of the same thing but I don't know how to get the pull down masking close enough to the screen to work. I guess I would have about 4 inches between the two. I'm working on the same idea....my wife has a window treatment business and she's seeing what she has avaliable to help. I'll let ya know if I figure anything also.

dre

·
Registered
216 Posts
I remember reading that some forum members have custom-ordered black blinds from Lowe's or Home Depot for this purpose. I believe some use two: one at the top and one at the bottom.

Randy D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Would it be possible to mount a roller shade to the back of the bottom rail of the pulldown of the screen?

This might be tough to do, but it would eliminate most, if not all of the gap between screen and masking.

-jp

·
Registered
332 Posts
One thought I've had (but I've never tried) is to cut appropriate sizes of rigid foam insulation for horizontal and vertical masking, apply black velvet or fabric tape to the front of them, some velcro strips to the back and on the screen frame, and stick them on as needed.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well I decided on a solution for my masking situation. I don't know if its the best but I think it will work well for me. I had been using 2 pieces of felt covered foam board velcro'd to the pull down model B screen but that got worn and cumbersome. So I called AJ at Projector People and ordered another model B manual pull down screen with an extra 7 1/2 inch black masking added to the top and bottom....that gives me a 45x80 viewing area in the exact center of the screen. Model B screens are light weight and easily removable hung with hooks. I now can leave my pj in one place and just change screens.....90% of my viewing is widescreen anyway. For the other widescreen formats I just ZOOM 1 time with the new 45x80 screen on my DVD player at it fits perfectly. It cost only $164.00 for the custom screen, reasonably priced I thought.

Always looking for new ideas !!!

dre

·
Banned
668 Posts
I currently have a Dalite Model B 4:3 glass-beaded that is ceiling mounted. I find that not having the exact 1.85 or 2.35 masking really takes away from the enjoyment. Plus the glass bead adds a texture to the image that I don't like.

I am seriously thinking of taking down the existing screen, and buy 2 Dalite Model B's matte-white, and mount one directly in front of the other. One will be masked for 1.85, and the other for 2.35.

A possible glitch is that my projector does not have focusing via the remote, and it will be ceiling mounted.

Comments anyone?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Instead of having to put up two screens, wouldn't it be nice if they manufactured a screen housing that accomodated two screens and you could pull down the one you wanted? This would seen easy enough to manufacture! I am going to experiment with a rollerblind in front of my 1.85 screen - I tried various velcro configurations but it is very inconvenient in my view.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.