AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going with a Da-Lite cinemascope screen for my new theater. I'll be doing side making for 16x9 manually, with custom made fabric on slim rails above and below the screen. (at least for now - I may get fancier later)


1. Has anyone got good close-up pictures of this type of masking done well?


2. I can't figure out which Da-Lite frame to go with. I want it to be not too "deep", so that the masking fabris is close to the screen, but at same time want it solidly built. Thoughts?


Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,441 Posts
I used a cheap corded curtain track for my side masking, and stitched a thin wooden dowel into the leading edge of the curtains to keep them straight and vertical. It worked quite well and the cost was very small. My other half made the curtains for me from black velvet, but you might be able to buy some that need some altering by the shop to fit the size you want.


Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, you're right re the Seymour AV screens - the masking panels they have available look great, simple, attach with magnets and are very reasonably priced. I may just go this route. Love that you can put on dark black or AT ones too! (see pic)


I had not planned on an AT screen originally, but I've decided I want to go 133" diagonal in a 15'4" wide room - the more I think about it I figure I'll probably have to. This Seymour setup sure makes the whole thing easier...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,958 Posts
Who's screen pic is that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
On the above picture of the Seymour AV screen, I presume those are the AT masking panels as I can see the screen easily through the panel at that particular picture angle.


What size is that scope screen?




...Glenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsearles /forum/post/20800147


Wow, you're right re the Seymour AV screens - the masking panels they have available look great, simple, attach with magnets and are very reasonably priced. I may just go this route. Love that you can put on dark black or AT ones too! (see pic)


I had not planned on an AT screen originally, but I've decided I want to go 133" diagonal in a 15'4" wide room - the more I think about it I figure I'll probably have to. This Seymour setup sure makes the whole thing easier...

I made a pair of masking panels just like that for 30 bucks...I will post pics later...Al
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmcclan /forum/post/20799712


I bought Seymour AT 2.37AR screen with 16:9 masking panels. You can see their website for panel pictures.

So how does that work? Does the 16:9 frame fit over the existing 2.37? -Or do you actually remove 2:37 frame and replace it with the other? It's not too clear from Seymour's website. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann /forum/post/0


On the above picture of the Seymour AV screen, I presume those are the AT masking panels as I can see the screen easily through the panel at that particular picture angle.


What size is that scope screen?



...Glenn

That picture is from the Seymore AV website. The near side has the AT masking panel, the far side has the dark velvet non-AT panel - to show the difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Get the square frame -- you will have a much easier time inserting masks. The tapered frame will not allow masks to be inserted. Regards, James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Ran into Chris at CEDIA this year and he showed off the new panels. They are pretty cool! Here's a couple pics (I gained the images a bit so you could actually see something).


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
You can see a pic of my DIY masking panels here


A few posts into it I put a few more pics of the panels and a breif description. I'm not sure about attatching to a manufactured screen, but it shouldn't be too difficult.


-Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN /forum/post/20937911


You can see a pic of my DIY masking panels here


A few posts into it I put a few more pics of the panels and a breif description. I'm not sure about attatching to a manufactured screen, but it shouldn't be too difficult.


-Sean

Brilliantly done!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top