AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with the idea of a FP setup in the living room of my condo. It is a multi purpose space so a fixed screen is out of the question. The only options are to ceiling mount or go portable. I prefer not having to find a space to tuck away a 100" screen so ceiling mount is the way to go. Given that I am renting, I would rather not spend for a high end model at the moment because I do plan on moving to a bigger place at some point and would then replace it with a bigger screen.

From the reading I've done, it seems manuals are prone to waves and electrics are less prone. Would I be better off with a tensioned manual or a non tensioned electric? Elite seems to be the best bang for the buck brand. I also noticed Favi makes a tab-tensioned model. Does anyone have suggestions for anything $250-300 that will be mostly free of waves?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I am toying with the idea of a FP setup in the living room of my condo. It is a multi purpose space so a fixed screen is out of the question. The only options are to ceiling mount or go portable. I prefer not having to find a space to tuck away a 100" screen so ceiling mount is the way to go. Given that I am renting, I would rather not spend for a high end model at the moment because I do plan on moving to a bigger place at some point and would then replace it with a bigger screen.

From the reading I've done, it seems manuals are prone to waves and electrics are less prone. Would I be better off with a tensioned manual or a non tensioned electric? Elite seems to be the best bang for the buck brand. I also noticed Favi makes a tab-tensioned model. Does anyone have suggestions for anything $250-300 that will be mostly free of waves?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Favi-120-16...427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339f5c4cdb

No one can guarantee no waves with any screen but I've been using a Focupix branded screen that I'm sure is identical to this one (NON-tensioned) for over 4 years and it's never had any waves or wrinkles--just a bit of "curl-in" on the edges that you have to look from the side to see. It's been up & down a zillion times & still operates just fine. There's also a 100" listed there (Ebay) for $150. I have seen where others have had waves with Favi's so maybe I just got lucky. For the $$$ it's worth it to try especially as you'll be moving on.
JMHO, hope it helps.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts