AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
flipflop created a hack to clock setting ability to the 2000 and 3000/showstopper series http://www.geocities.com/flipflop7146/#clock

Assuming you're trying to work around an inoperative modem. I'd like to encourage you to replace the motherboard instead of using it as a dumb VCR.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Anubus12,

If I were you I'd do what I'll dub 'all the way and bite the bullet'. See if you can arrange to have the lifetime service moved over to a 50xx in advance then cough up the cash and get a 50xx to put it on.

explained in detail:

>price 50xx's on ebay; know what kinda $$ you are looking at

>call replaytv and tell them your showstopper is messed up and you would like to move the service to a 50xx

>after and if they agree, get them to make a case # for you and ask them to put in the notes that the service transfer was OK'd

>call them back a few days later and ask a representitive if the OK is indeed in the notes

>after that buy a 50xx from ebay

>call replaytv back and get the transfer done

People have reported they were able to move a showstopper lifetime to a 50xx unit. YMMV (your milage may very)

if you try it please report your success or failure

P.S. Another weirder option you have is to go to radioshack and buy remote control that hooks up to your computer via USB and gets their version of the guide. The guide is stored in the remote control. The remote control was meant for recording shows on to a VCR. If you try this option check to see if the remote has codes for ReplayTVs. If it doesn't see if it is JP1 compatible. With a $15 JP1 cable you can program the remote pretty much however you want. It may be time consuming to learn JP1. A knack for programming could make a big difference whether you succeed or not. The remote is on clearence for $19.99.
I'm not sure how happy you will be with this remote, I have not tried using it myself. If you express interest I will dig up the catalog number of the remote for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
For three calls to DNNA, be prepared to spend at least 1-2 hours of your life on hold. And if they tell you "we don't do that anymore" or if they try to send you to tech support, simply complain about the terrible hold times and ask to be transferred to their supervisor.

Worked for me twice - once for my own 2020 that failed shortly after I got it recently (probably why it was being sold!) and once for a buddy's (who was too much of a softie to get on the phone and insist on the transfer, so I called for him). Both times, the escallated person simply said something to the effect of "okay, give me your serial numbers" and made it happen in about 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. a few questions.

if i were to transfer from my showstopper to a 55xx, what information do i need to furnish them as to reduce the amount of calls I need to make?

i have a 5000 series unit also and as i recall, the setup menu doesn't give me the "activation code" anywhere. I had to activate the unit via phone or web before connecting to the replay service. so what information do i need from a new 55xx unit? the serial number? or where can i see the activation code?

as for my showstopper, i have the activation code, but do i also need the serial number?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
238 Posts
All you need is the serial numbers from both units and a good explaination of why you feel your unit is not fixable - best would be to have a call logged with tech support, but if you have a valid problem that they will recognize as being non-fixable, and if you insist that you've followed all the advice from reputable forums, AND if you stick to your guns, they should take care of you. I don't know if the showstoppers are as easy to get transferred as a "normal" 2020, though. It seems like others have said before that they won't transfer a lifetime for a showstopper, so your mileage may vary.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.