AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately TV is already mounted. Picked it up at BB at a clearance sale this week. I can't see the back of the TV anymore - I only have the serial # - is there any way to tell the manufacture date without unmounting the TV (Sony 46" XBR8)?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
idk but over a year at least because sony stopped making them over a year ago

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18175991

idk but over a year at least because sony stopped making them over a year ago

really? i read in a few places they were manufacturing them up till about Sep/Oct 2009.....

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodude23 /forum/post/18175996

really? i read in a few places they were manufacturing them up till about Sep/Oct 2009.....

i'm not positive when they stopped making them but i do know they have been discontinued for well over a year now. you can still find them in stores that had them because of their cost vs similar samsung and LG sets that perform as good/almost as good they have never been a good seller and that is why sony discontinued them

simply put though if someone was looking to spend that much money on a TV they would have bought a Pioneer plasma or a projector system for their HT rather than the XBR8 because they perform better but as with any TV that high priced you can even still find pioneer plasmas in local stores brand new and pioneer stopped making plasmas over a year ago as well

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
you know you could prolly still check the sticker on the back of you TV with it mounted if you have a small mirror or something similar you could put behind it

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18176102

i'm not positive when they stopped making them but i do know they have been discontinued for well over a year now.

That's simply not true. Sony sold them via their website until December or so.

Quote:
you can still find them in stores that had them because of their cost vs similar samsung and LG sets that perform as good/almost as good they have never been a good seller and that is why sony discontinued them

They weren't good sellers initially because they were overpriced and there was a ridiculous price lock by Sony preventing competition between stores.

The only LCD competition in that time was the Samsung A950 which was cheaper but had some technical problems initially (requiring a hard- and/or software update). It also had a glossy panel that not everybody wants.

Then the price of the Sony gradually came down and the LG LH90 may indeed be one of the reasons, as could be the Toshiba SV670 or the Vizio local dimming models. All of these came a full year later to the market than the Sony.

Quote:
simply put though if someone was looking to spend that much money on a TV they would have bought a Pioneer plasma or a projector system for their HT rather than the XBR8 because they perform better but as with any TV that high priced you can even still find pioneer plasmas in local stores brand new and pioneer stopped making plasmas over a year ago as well

I can't agree here for several reasons and, frankly, you should know better, too:

- First of all comparing a projector with a flatpanel display is like comparing apples with oranges. Not everybody wants a projector in their living or bedroom.

- Secondly, the Sony XBR8 has a semi-matte panel - something that is desired by a lot of customers as it reduces reflections in brighter rooms.

- And third, the 46" model of the XBR8 has become quite affordable last year (less than $2000) while the prices of the last Kuros were more or less stable.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny42 /forum/post/18176191

I can't agree here for several reasons and, frankly, you should know better, too:

- First of all comparing a projector with a flatpanel display is like comparing apples with oranges. Not everybody wants a projector in their living or bedroom.

- Secondly, the Sony XBR8 has a semi-matte panel - something that is desired by a lot of customers as it reduces reflections in brighter rooms.

- And third, the 46" model of the XBR8 has become quite affordable last year (less than $2000) while the prices of the last Kuros were more or less stable.

right on, i was thinking along the lines of people looking for the best HT displays and last time i was in my local best buy the 46" XBR8 was still being sold for 2600 big ones compared to 3000 for a pioneer 60" 6020FD that they still have and is their center piece in the magnolia section I think most people seriously considering either would buy the pioneer but hey as of a few weeks ago they were both still there so

the problem today is still that in stores they ask way to much for the XBR8 and most people will buy a cheaper LCD/plasma or want something bigger than 46" and rightfully so

I know if i walked into best buy and got to choose any display they had there as tempting and neat it sounds to me to own an XBR8 and i am actually quite fond of Sony TV's I think my top 2 choices would be the Panny 65S1 or the Pioneer 6020FD because size really does matter most

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18176253

I know if i walked into best buy and got to choose any display they had there as tempting and neat it sounds to me to own an XBR8 and i am actually quite fond of Sony TV's I think my top 2 choices would be the Panny 65S1 or the Pioneer 6020FD because size really does matter most

yea - i only bought the 46XBR8 because it was on clearance for $1500 and it looked like a good deal. just trying to figure out manufacture date to make sure its not a refurb. i'll try the mirror but its pretty tight back there - not sure i'll be able to see it. sony should be able to tell me the date based on serial number, no? (that, i do have).

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodude23 /forum/post/18176309

yea - i only bought the 46XBR8 because it was on clearance for $1500 and it looked like a good deal. just trying to figure out manufacture date to make sure its not a refurb. i'll try the mirror but its pretty tight back there - not sure i'll be able to see it. sony should be able to tell me the date based on serial number, no? (that, i do have).

yeah at the price you paid its a great deal, it was new in box i take it?

i'm not sure if they could tell you but they should be able to, i highly doubt it was a refurb, i've bought sony refurb's before and have seen them many times as well they always put them in plain white boxes with minimal printing on them and clearly say refurbished on the box.

my local Fry's actually had a bunch of refurb large PS3's for sale and they still have a hand full and I've been tempted to go buy one at 240 bux

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18176322

yeah at the price you paid its a great deal, it was new in box i take it?

i'm not sure if they could tell you but they should be able to, i highly doubt it was a refurb, i've bought sony refurb's before and have seen them many times as well they always put them in plain white boxes with minimal printing on them and clearly say refurbished on the box.

my local Fry's actually had a bunch of refurb large PS3's for sale and they still have a hand full and I've been tempted to go buy one at 240 bux

yes - it was NIB, last one that BB had besides floor model. The box was a little ripped though when it was delivered but they said it was brand new and it did come in the original Sony box. I think they were clearing it out for the new XBR11s possibly. I guess at $1500, thats a good price either way but just am curious about the manufacture date.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18176322

Don't do it - get one of those slim ones as it has better audio support, a larger hard disk (doh!) and is often a bit more quiet.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny42 /forum/post/18176428

Don't do it - get one of those slim ones as it has better audio support, a larger hard disk (doh!) and is often a bit more quiet.

yeah well IDK if i will buy another PS3, i used to have a large one and got rid of it because i rarely played games on it. i have a BD player so that means i would probably use the PS3 even less

if they came out with some more great games on the system i might consider it, its just pretty tempting to get one for that cheap ya know

noise was never an issue on my large PS3, my XB360 sounds like a small airplane due to my fan modifications i made to keep it from RRODing itself

·
Banned
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18176442

yeah well IDK if i will buy another PS3, i used to have a large one and got rid of it because i rarely played games on it. i have a BD player so that means i would probably use the PS3 even less

The Playstation 3 only does everything.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodude23 /forum/post/18175982

Unfortunately TV is already mounted. Picked it up at BB at a clearance sale this week. I can't see the back of the TV anymore - I only have the serial # - is there any way to tell the manufacture date without unmounting the TV (Sony 46" XBR8)?

To come back to your original question...

Here's a photo of the backside to make searching for the manufacturing date a bit easier if you have a small mirror:

The date should be on a sticker located near the left middle (see red arrow).

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
I bought my (European X4500) 46XBR8 a week ago,it was assebled in Slovakia (Eastern

Europe),date of manufacture 11/2009.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny42 /forum/post/18176508

To come back to your original question...

Here's a photo of the backside to make searching for the manufacturing date a bit easier if you have a small mirror:

The date should be on a sticker located near the left middle (see red arrow).

ah thank you - that should make it a little easier.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodude23 /forum/post/18176732

ah thank you - that should make it a little easier.

ok knowing the location and having a small mirror worked. it was manufactured in Sep 2009. So if it has been discontinued for a year, does this mean I bought a refurb? Everything looks new except the TV stand which is slightly scratched at the bottom and didn't have plastic film. The TV itself came with all the original plastic film.

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
The tv stand should have plastic film,when the label says it manufactured in sept 2009

than its manufactured sept 2009 unless someone replaced the label,you can check

if its a original Sony label..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/18177219

The tv stand should have plastic film,when the label says it manufactured in sept 2009

than its manufactured sept 2009 unless someone replaced the label,you can check

if its a original Sony label..

how do i know if its a sony label? i managed to squeeze my blackberry back there to take a pic....

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
I do have the european version,the label on my tv is BLACK with white letters,my label is not the same as Benny42 label,no

reason to panic.

The tv-stand could be old,that does not automaticly mean the tv is old.

You could call sony if you do not trust it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts