AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased a toshiba 42rv530u several months ago from best buy, and decided to buy 4 year product service plan, since it seemed like a good idea at the time. after reading up on it, apparently their psp's are a rip-off, but i still feel it might come in handy.

recently, i noticed an issue with some banding in the upper right hand corner, which appears on all inputs and appears to be a defect with the lcd. i was wondering whether i should go through toshiba or best buy to have it serviced. i was leaning towards best buy, since they're more local, but after reading some horror stories online, i'm a little hesitant to leave my tv in their care. on the other hand, i haven't heard anything about toshiba's customer service. any opinions?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, unless your warranty is a little different, Best Buy will pick up the warranty after the manufacturer's runs out, normally a year.

If this is the case I think you have to use Toshiba first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently had a repair situation with Toshiba. My 42 HL167 developed a verticle band down the center of the screen. Called toshiba cust. serv who hooked me up with local Toshiba repair shop. They had difficulty getting the band to show up but did eventually get it to show. Toshiba required that the repair shop show proof of the defect in form of a photo. Once Toshiba received the photo they authorized and shipped an entire new display panel. I am supposed to have my set back in a few days. My set was under factory warranty, only one month left at the time of defect. I would recommend that you establish documented contact with Toshiba Immediately if you havn't done so already. Secondly, take some digital photos of your defect in case repair shop has difficulty making it show up, this would have saved me a month of waiting. I am worried about the quality of my TV after having such an invasive repair done to it. Does anyone know if replacing a display panel is a plug and play type of repair of if their more potential for further damage?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been through 4 service calls to BB for TV issues (3 for Westy's, 1 for Sharp). I had purchased 4 yr. service plan and each time I called BB they came out, made up an exchange form, and I went in and exchanged the TV. The Sharp replacement was a bit different, the service guy had to go through Sharp and get authorization from them to do the exchange, and they needed pics of course. But the thing to keep in mind is that BB has the Serial # of the TV you now own and that is the one tied to the service plan, I would think if you bypassed BB, and in the process got a new TV from Toshiba that serial # won't match the service plan then. I'm not sure how that would affect the terms of the warranty.

My suggestion is to call BB first, they've done well by me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts