AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Holidays All.

Can some of the experienced amongst us give an idea of release cycles for displays from manufacturers like Samsung, Toshiba & Pioneer. Is there a particular month or event that products are announced or released in?

Thx

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Pioneer no longer is making displays and hasn't since 2008. Samsung, LG, and Panasonic are the only companies still producing plasma panels (some OEM 3rd party companies may be selling the above panels with their own frames and electronics inside). In general, CES in january is when new displays are announced, and April is when you start seeing them show up in stores... but it's usually a bit staggered. Most common/big seller displays show up first, and then the higher end/larger size/etc... models churn out over the summer.

But that's not a hard and fast rule. Some companies do things differently, and I'm sure if you're talking about LCD's there's new displays coming out all over the place year round just due to how many companies make them these days.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dlp'l' I was trying to anticipate when the arrival of panasonics with the Kuro tech may be released. And thanks for correcting me I had meant to ask about panasonic not pioneer.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/19547564

Pioneer no longer is making displays and hasn't since 2008. Samsung, LG, and Panasonic are the only companies still producing plasma panels (some OEM 3rd party companies may be selling the above panels with their own frames and electronics inside). In general, CES in january is when new displays are announced, and April is when you start seeing them show up in stores... but it's usually a bit staggered. Most common/big seller displays show up first, and then the higher end/larger size/etc... models churn out over the summer.

But that's not a hard and fast rule. Some companies do things differently, and I'm sure if you're talking about LCD's there's new displays coming out all over the place year round just due to how many companies make them these days.

Pioneer went through Q1 '09; still 'long ago' in 'tech. time', though.

In '10, AFAIK, the big three plasma cos. (Panasonic, Samsung, and LG) released all of their models and sizes of plasmas from late Feb. through end of May. (So, late Winter and Spring.) I kept track of some, others are by memory. If you recall differently, please let me know.

Panny has promised to be even earlier in '11 than to compete better with Samsung, which were ~1 mos. earlier. If so, we might see them all out by end of April. (In '09, Panasonic 58 and 65 were mid-Aug., but they obviously 'corrected' that in '10. Probably won't see that again, if Panny can help it.)

Why would he be asking about LCD; this is the Plasma Forum section.
Even some LCDs are out starting in ~mid-Feb., and then yes, depending on the manufacturer, one can see some released as late as end of Oct..

Once in a while, there are new TVs (Plasma and LCD) in Nov., Dec., and Jan.; I recall a few.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts