AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning to those easily bored… this is a history of my HD education…

After many months of “lurking†on this site, I finally decided to register so that I could thank everyone that ever took their time to answer questions posted to the site. Although I am a “techie†by training, it still took me countless hours of reading, and digesting thousands of posts and FAQs, and visiting many local merchants to learn what I needed to know to make informed decisions on HD hardware. On Feb 28th I ordered a PDP-503CMX from Dell. On Mar 7th it arrived (after a 1 day snow delay) and I also had Comcast HD cable service hooked up that same day. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning and have been in absolute AWE ever since.

The improvement in picture quality over my 32 inch JVC was absolutely astounding. Although I didn’t have all of the necessary cables to properly hook up the AV components, I still wanted the plasma hooked up immediately so I used what I had. I connected my Sony DVD player (not progressive scan) using the component connections on the player and the plasma, and all I could say – when I picked my jaw up off the floor – was “Oh My Godâ€. The display was (and still is) flawless – no dead/stuck pixels, no tinges of green or any other color– just perfect. There are only two component connections to the plasma, and I did not have a 15 PIN VGA to component cable to connect the HD cable to input 1, so I used the s-video connection. The picture quality of the HD channels on the plasma was unbelievable, but the regular cable was just OK. Many posts indicated that regular cable would be a disappointment, so it came as no surprise. Since I do have to work to pay for my toys, a couple of weeks passed before I finally got the 15-pin VGA to component cable. I never expected the picture quality that I got, but the result absolutely took my breath away. In fact, I could still sit for hours in a trance watching the HD Demo station.

I found out about Comcast HD cable on this site, and decided to dump RCN in favor of Comcast – I am sooooo glad that I did. Comcast did not provide a user’s manual with the box, but a reference to it on this site made me download and read it. Lo and behold, the signal from the box to the plasma can be set to 1080i or 720p for HD and 480i or 480p for other channels. I didn’t notice much difference between the 1080i and 720p setting in HD – both look superb, like moving photographs, but the 480p setting for non-HD channels made a huge difference. Some of those channels now look like the HD picture I got through the S-video connection (I know, in comparison, not great but still a BIG improvement). I still have the DVI connection to look forward to when Comcast turns it on. I can’t wait to see the picture from that digital connection.

Finally, I just purchased a progressive scan DVD player. I didn’t have the cash to go high end, but many threads on this site indicated that I didn’t have to (I want to save up for blue-ray anyway). Having researched the chroma bug, etc, I opted for a Panasonic model. I got a terrific deal on a CP-67 and it has made a huge difference in picture quality – even when it was sending an interlaced signal. The progressive scan picture is so good it’s hard to believe that it isn’t HD.

It’s been a long time coming, but I want to send my heartfelt thanks to all of you that spend time and exercise extreme patience answering what must seem at times like an endless streams of amateurish questions. I want all of you to know that your collective input guided me successfully through what would otherwise have been an impossible set of decisions to make successfully. I am now in HD heaven and happier than anyone on earth deserves to be.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You are welcome here. Good to see that you have registered.

You are one of us now, post counts don't matter here as long as we keep the hot conversations, intelligent....

Enjoy the plasma now & get ready to upgrade in two years for the 1080p unit.

Best,

-MAB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.