AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Hoping someone can help...
I have a client who uses Windows 10 build 2004 with three mapped network drives to a local Buffalo Terastation.
There are no restrictions, no servers and just this user. Three shared folders are mapped, the issue is at random days they fail to connect with a not accessible in use message.
There is no software, it is not the daily backup, I did the registry removal and remapped, I remapped and it is OK for a short time. Signing out and back in doesn't work, restarting doesn't, it always seems to want to disconnect and remapping.
Any help will be so appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Do you have to enable SMB 1.0 on the Win10 in order to connect to the NAS? If so, Win10 will also automatically remove the SMB 1.0 support if it found it is not in -use for a while by default because SMB 1.0 is incredibly unsecure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you have to enable SMB 1.0 on the Win10 in order to connect to the NAS? If so, Win10 will also automatically remove the SMB 1.0 support if it found it is not in -use for a while by default because SMB 1.0 is incredibly unsecure.
If there are three shares mapped to the NAS, I'd call it "in use" constantly.

2004 seems to have numerous external storage issues (both shared and USB devices). I haven't been able to unmount a USB hard drive for a while now. My SMB 1.0 shares are working better than my SMB 2.0 shares but both can be finicky at times.

·
Registered
49 Posts
just an idea, something to try. I don't know your drive letters or unc pathnames so this is going to just be an example

From an administrative command prompt: (start -> type cmd, right-click-> run as administrator)
First, manually delete a drive mapping, for example, drive "e" - type

net use e: /delete

Now remap it, but persistently

net use e: \\buffalo\share1 /persistent:yes

replace the drive letter "e:" and the "\\buffalo\share1" with your terastation name or ip and share name.

This "might" fix your problem. I make no guarantees. In the long run I've always found it easier to access things by unc pathnames rather than mapping drives, but I know there's software out there that requires drive letters.

Edit: wait, I just re-read your post...is this not network attached but USB attached? I don't know why they'd call it a NAS then (N = network). If so then none of this applies, and I apologize...I do believe buffalo has a utility to attach/map drives...are you using that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts