AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the obvious point that I should go with the one that impresses me the most I'd like other's opinions which of these two everyone thinks would be the better projector. I am assuming that the street price will be similiar. My room will be finished late next month and will have a Mits rear projection unit with the projector used for movies and some HD material.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Randy

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Randy, I suggest you look at both in a room similar to yours to get an idea of what they will look like.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Since the 7205 isn't shipping yet, no one is going to be able to give you an opinion formed by intimate knowledge of this PJ. I have an SP7200. Based on my experience with it, I am confident that I can at least make the following recommendation:

If you want/need a PJ that can overcome some ambient light, get the Infocus. It is at least twice as bright, and can do this. The Marantz really can't. The Marantz is designed to give a fantastic picture in a totally dark Ht, and it does.

If you want to drive a very large screen, the additional brightness of the Infocus will allow you to do this. The Marantz may or may not. It depends on how big a screen, and on your personal tastes regarding brightness. I have seen an S2 on a 133" D firehawk. In high power with a new bulb, it was bright enough for me, and it was a thing of beauty. In low power, it was too dim. As the bulb ages, it dims. So even if the S2 starts out bright enough for a very large screen, that may change as the bulb ages.

If you have a smaller screen (100" D or less) and complete light control, you might very well find the Infocus to be brighter than you want. In this case you might prefer the S2. It is largely a matter of personal taste regarding the relative importance of black level vs brightness. One thing about the Infocus is that you can add an ND filter to lower the brightness down to the level of the Marantz, but you can't raise the brightness of the Marantz up to the level of the Infocus. However, manually swapping the filter and refocusing may be more inconvenient than you wish to live with.

The Marantz component input is slightly fuzzy when passing HD. I have not seen this, but have only read about it. My impression is that it is probably hardly noticeable. If you have a Sat/Cable HD source using Component outputs the Infocus might give you a little sharper picture. However, DVI connections are the future of HD connections. And most new HD sources have them. The Marantz and Infocus both have DVI inputs and these inputs would be prefered on both of these PJs. So this is only a factor if you have a current HD component source that you wish to keep.

The Infocus has twice as many inputs as the Marantz. This may or may not be a factor for you. I have 3 component sources, including HD cable. The Infocus has 5 inputs capable of accepting Component output. The advantage for me is that I don't need a component switcher. I don't have to worry about a component switcher having sufficient bandwidth to pass HD (many of them don't, especially those built into receivers). Since each input memorizes the PJs calibration settings seperately, I can calibrate each input's source to optimize PQ once. Every time I switch back to that input, the PJ recalls that specific calibration. With the Marantz, I would need a switcher and I would have to change the calibration manually every time I switched sources. This is certainly do-able, but is a little less convenient.

The Marantz and Infocus are optimized for different types of HTs. The Infocus is better for very large screens and ambient light. The Marantz is better for smaller screens and total light control. I have an HT and screen of the first type and bought an SP7200. If I had an HT and Screen of the second type, I would have choosen the S2 over the SP7200.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Bravo Glenned,

Very nice comparison and summary.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Randy:

One other difference is that the InFocus has a built in off set so you can mount it above or below the top or bottom of the screen without using the keystone adjustment ( which degrades the picture quality ). The Marantz needs to be centered on the screen for optimum picture quality, this may make mounting difficult for some applications.

I am an InFocus dealer and I think that the 7205 will be better than the 12S2 but not the 12S3. Of course the 12S3 will be much more expensive than the 7205 :) You will be very happy with either one. :)

Just be sure you choose the right screen , type ,brand and size for your projector and application to get the most out of your projector.

·
Premium Member
25,403 Posts
"The Marantz needs to be centered on the screen for optimum picture quality, "

I believe the Marantz has lens shift taht allows the lens to be placed anywhere within the screen height.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Although it is stating the obvious, the IF 7205 has the new HD2+ chip, and 7 segment color wheel which eliminates dithering, and the FLI2310 chip allowing 2:2 pulldown. The claimed CR is much improved over the 7200.

The Marantz 12S2 has the HD2 chip and a 6 segment color wheel, and the FLI2300 chip. But I believe the CR on the Marantz is greater than the 7200 or 7205.

Of course, until the 7205 is released in 1st Q04, you really won't know the answer to your question.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by noah katz

I believe the Marantz has lens shift taht allows the lens to be placed anywhere within the screen height.
Yep, that's correct....

I have mine ceiling mounted and the lens is leveled with the upper end of the screen - looks great!

_____

Axel

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Glenned, I meant that when the 7205 comes to the market to look at them. If chillman can't find a place to see firsthand, then ask some of us at the forum. Also, Randy, can you please tell us your room size and desired screen size?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I was set on the Optoma H-76 since the person doing my basement is also the Northern VA rep for Optoma but he has told me the two things they are still trying to work out with the unit and even he thinks it's 50/50 that we ever see it in production.

I am using a 110" motorized Vutec screen with I'm pretty sure 1.1 gain. Due to being over budget already, a motorized Stewart screen is just not an option.

My room has good light control though not complete. I will have two windows with room darkening shades, both windows are under the deck which further reduces the light. The room is approximately 15 x 35 with a bar area in the rear on a 6" riser. I am concerned with the 12s2 and lack of keystone correction. If the Marantz is hung low then it will interfere with those at the bar area.

Does anyone know if the light spill issue was resolved with the 7205? It looks like the shipping date is too far off for me to wait but we'll see.

Also does anyone have suggestions on where to see the Infocus or Marantz unit up and running anywhere in VA, MD, or DC. Or for that matter within a half a days drive. I have only found Sharp's 9000, 10000, and Sony's 12ht in the area.

Thanks

Randy

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Axel:

Correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is that when you use the lens shift you then need to use keystone correction to square up the image which will degrade the picture quality.keystone correction should be avoided at all costs on DLP projectors. Not to say that most will not have a problem using it, but for purists it is a no no.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Allen, lens offset doesn't cause the picture to need keystoning. It's only when you move the PJ out of the range of it's offset that you need to use keystoning. For example, the IF7200 has a (edit: fixed) lens offset. If you mount the PJ and screen correctly, then you don't need keystoning.

In other words, lens offset is just the term for where the lens of the PJ lines up with the top (or bottom) of the screen. If there is a manual adjustment for this, then you have greater flexibility on mounting the PJ in relation to the screen. It is only when you must mount the PJ out of the range of the lens offset that you will need keystoning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.