AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if it's me or if I am crazy. I am seeing more rainbows now with my S2 than I did when I had my S1. Is that possible? Could it be that they are using a faster/different color wheel that causes me to see more rainbows? Maybe the increased contrast ratio is creating the additional rainbowing? Or maybe this is all in my head and is just my imagination. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
you're gonna have to bring your s2 to anthony's on the 14th to be sure. I'll drive.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
that's what I was gonna say! come on eric, what do you say...15+ people to test this theory!

TM

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Nothing different in the color wheel or motor. My guess is that, since rainbows are the most visible on extremely high contrast material (whenever I want to show them to someone, I just use the focus crosshatch) it is the way better CR on the S2.

DM

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
I've had my S2 for about 3 weeks now and have not seen any rainbows. I've read that it's a personal thing and some viewers 'Persistance-of-Vision' is more susceptible to the effect than others.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan I lost you there. Are you saying that since the contrast ratio is greater on the S2 and that rainbows are more visible on high contrast material that it is indeed quite possible that I am correct and that I could very well be seeing more rainbows as a result of greater Contrast?

It isn't really an issue IF I am seeing more rainbows, to be honest I KNOW I am but, I am just wondering why. Is my above statement a correct interpretation of your reply?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hallo Eric,

I believe Dan may onto something. I have the Sim2 HT300 and I'm very rainbow sensitive. However, I see them infrequently. A good friend of mine see's no rainbows on my pj. However, he has seen the latest HT300+ and like yourself, saw rainbows. It is very likely that the higher the contrast ratio, the more pronounced the rainbow effect becomes. As your eye flicks across the screen, the brighter, now more pronounced edges and concentrated pools of light (like candel flames, headlights, street lights ect) 'catch' and the resulting 'drag' of light becomes the rainbow. Why some people are more sensitive to this than others is currently beyond my understanding.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Eric,

I have yet to see rainbows in the 3 weeks, or so, I've owned my S2. I am not particularly sensitive to them, however.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.