AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running all my wires through a 2" PVC before I finish my ceiling. It would be easier to install the cables I will most likely need now even though I could run more at a later date. Initially I will be using a HD cable box from Time Warner and a Yamaha DVD-S1200.

What have those of you with 12S2s found to be the most necessary cables?:rolleyes:

Thanks

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Hi there - did you get your S2 yet? What do you think of the picture? How happy are you!?

I'd have to assume that component cables would be your best bet. Since you can eaisly pull another wire later it would probably be best to hold off on DVI until you a) have a source to send via DVI to the pj and 2) until the cost of the long run DVI comes down.

For component cables you may want to consider making your own from RG-6, especially if you have a run of say 30 or more feet. There are entire discussions dedicated to this in other forums on AVS - let me know if you want help finding the topic.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Just to add, try and make sure you don't have any hard 90* turns--it *really* makes pulling a large cable bundle very difficult if you don't have gradual "soft" turns with large radii. I have two "long elbow" 90* turns (which I thought would make it easy to pull cable) going to my projector, and it was still a major PITA to pull anything...I wish I had broken the turns down into two 45* turns, with a bit of pipe in between the ease things out. Also, the connectors for DVI are larger than VGA DB-15 connectors, so they can be difficult to pull as well. Learn from my mistakes! :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be picking up the PJ and screen in a couple of weeks. I have the component cable and I have a 2" PVC installed. I had one 90 degree bend that I had to make and I did use two 45 degree bends to make it. I was concerned about pulling a bundle through a tight 90.

My concern about the DVI cable besides the cost is the connectors. The 15 pin termination is what seems to be the standard now but I have nothing to run it to and down the road the 15 pin standard could change. For that reason until I have a device to connnect to I am thinking I'll wait. Although you make a good point about the larger connectors being more difficult to pull.

The PJ dealer suggested running 2 sets of 3 RG6 for future use. What would the possible uses be? RG6 is very inexpensive and I might as well run it now if I really might have a future need.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.