AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am hoping somebody may be able to help me along here a little - I am not that familiar with the latest A/V equipment and how you connect everything - getting frustrated, been at it all day. I bought a Marantz SR6003 A/V receiver before chistmas and am just now - today - getting around to connecting everything - had to finish the room and mount the 5.1 surround sound system on the walls and run the cables etc... The speakers are M&K, K5's - for rears, K7's for front and center and a K9 S/W. My TV is a Samsung 46" LCD LN-T4665F, about a year old or so, and the DVD is a PS3. My problems are: I cannot get the TV and receiver to recognize/operate together - basically a blank screen with sound when playing a DVD. I can get the HDMI cable box to operate through the receiver onto the TV with sound and visuals. The Marantz manual might as well be written in Chinese - just not written for someone who is not savy about all things A/V. The receiver has three HDMI inputs and two outputs, I have the TV in the first HDMI input, the DVD is connected to the second HDMI input and the cable is connected to the third HDMI input. Does the TV HDMI cable connect to the receivers input or output - tried both with no difference? The manuals says absolutely nothing about where the TV should plug in? It does say something about the TV needing to support HDCP to veiw images in HDMI - could this be the issue? Also, and this one is really driving me nuts, I initially had surround sound from the DVD's at least but now it only wants to play in stereo, no back, S/W or center speakers. Any idea on why the audio is now in stereo instead of surround sound when playing a DVD - the speakers connections are all tight and correctly connected? I even tried using the Audyssey auto speaker setup which identified the surround setup up but the receiver will still only play DVD's out the front speakers - no surround. I'm ready to fix everything with a sledge hammer - any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated. I have read through the manual several times and tried many different options to no avail.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Bill,

You definitely want to go receiver hdmi output to tv hdmi input.

In your receivers menu there should be something like audio through on hdmi.Turn that off.

If you're still having problems after this try posting in official Marantz 6003 thread.

Andy

·
Registered
1,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualab /forum/post/15514085

Hi,

My TV is a Samsung 46" LCD LN-T4665F, about a year old or so, and the DVD is a PS3. My problems are: I cannot get the TV and receiver to recognize/operate together - basically a blank screen with sound when playing a DVD. I can get the HDMI cable box to operate through the receiver onto the TV with sound and visuals.

That proves your TV is not the problem.

Does the TV HDMI cable connect to the receivers input or output - tried both with no difference? The manuals says absolutely nothing about where the TV should plug in? It does say something about the TV needing to support HDCP to veiw images in HDMI - could this be the issue?

The Samsung supports HDCP so that's not the issue. Your input/output question tells me you

have minimal understanding of AV. (not being rude just factual). You have a nice setup so my suggestion would be to get some help from a friend or

where you purchased. Maybe even paying someone to set it up. It may cost you but it would be a valuable lesson.

Also, and this one is really driving me nuts, I initially had surround sound from the DVD's at least but now it only wants to play in stereo, no back, S/W or center speakers. Any idea on why the audio is now in stereo instead of surround sound when playing a DVD - the speakers connections are all tight and correctly connected?

Are you getting 5.1 from the cable box? If so be sure the setings are the same for DVD. Go into the Marantz's Preference menu and make sure you have ""HDMI audio" enabled.

and not 2 channel selected. Also be sure your PS3 s set up to Bitstream 5.1.

I even tried using the Audyssey auto speaker setup which identified the surround setup up but the receiver will still only play DVD's out the front speakers - no surround.

Audyssey is an EQ function only it does not determine which speakers are active. Be sure to turn off "surround back" by choosing "non" when you set up.

I'm ready to fix everything with a sledge hammer - any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated. I have read through the manual several times and tried many different options to no avail.

Thanks,

Bill
There may be a "Handshake problem when connecting the TV-Receiver-PS3 combo. (but unlikely). Do you have another DVD player to test? My first suggestion would be to do a reset of your reciever to get it back to factory settings. (See the manual p68.) I think you changed something some where.

Also try the TV in another hdmi port.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I figured out how to get the PS3 to operate both in 5.1 surround audio and HDMI now through the receiver onto the TV. I also figured out how to get the time warner HDMI cable box to work, providing HDMI picture through receiver. But I am getting dropout in the audio almost continuously - jumps between stereo and surround, also while doing this the receiver's display is also bouncing between M-CH Movie (surround) and D-Norm +4 DB. The picture is fine though. Any ideas? Don't think it is the quality of the cable signal because only the audio is affected. It is also dropping of in stereo only also. Maybe a setting in the TW scientific cable box?

Thanks again,

Bill

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Is there audio dropout from PS3 or just the cable box?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Then it's a problem with the cable box. Here's a test. Disconnect the receiver's HDMI to the TV and then play some HD 5.1 source from cable. Do you still have audio dropout?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I unplugged the cable as you suggested (watching HDMI channel of NFL game) - the stuttering continued.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Then for sure it's probably the cable box. The only other thing might be the HDMi cable itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I switched the cables - no change. I will exchange the box. I read online that comcast had issues with motorola boxes basically doing the same thing but that was in 2005. Hopefully, Timewarner central NY's cable is capable of providing the HDMI content - everything else they do is below par, and the HDMI channels are slow in showing up. Thanks cattledog for your help. I had one of the first surround systems back in the late 70's - quad, things are just slightly more advanced now. Wish they had an HDMI/AV for dummies book.

Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found another site that has multiple complaints about TW and their faulty scientific atlanta explorer 4250 HDC boxes, many many people having issues and switching out boxes multiple times due to same problems. Probably just taking the returned boxes and repackaging for the next guy to get screwed. I just unplugged the box and rebooted same - problem is now gone - so we'll see if it returns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts