AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own the Marantz 7200 receiver and use the component switching for my HD cable box and my Denon DVD 2800 progressive player. Marantz does not disclose the bankdwidth for the component switcher, but it appears to be fine for HD because my picture looks great with no degradation.

The problem is with the progressive signal. Let me say up front that if I connect the dvd player directly to my monitor there is no problem, so I guess it has to be the switcher. Anyway, whenever there is a very bright scene with a lot of white or near white, or even a lot of bright sky, the top 10% of the picture goes haywire. It's hard to describe, but if flares off to one side and is not watchable. If the scene is bright enough and lasts long enough the screen will actually go blank for a second or two, then try to come back. This will continue until the scene changes to a darker one and then everything is fine again.

Has anyone ever expereinced something like this? What causes it? Is there anything I can do? Is the receiver defective or is this just a limitation of the switcher? Are there any adjustments I can make?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I know there has been threads about certain Sony RPTV's with bad reactions to bright HD displays similar to what your seeing, but they didn't involve any switching. Does a non-progressive DVD feed produce the same effects? Can you swap your DVD and HD inputs on your receiver/switcher? If you switch inputs and the problem is now on your HD and your DVD is ok, then you could suspect a defective switch. Could try a differnt DVD player if possible for compatibility. I think HD would put a bigger load on the switch. Double check all your cables and give Marantz a call.... can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
sh - I have a similar problem with both of the HD inputs on my Philips 60PP9601 RPTV. No switch involved.

turboquick86 - can you point me to threads about this? Were they on this board?

Mark

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. When I use non-progressive through s-video it works fine, and, like I said, if I hook the component cables directly to the tv it works fine. So it seems it has to be the receiver\\switch. I think I will call Marantz, I was just hoping to be better informed. It seems that although bandwidth is adequate, it is having trouble with "high frequency" pictures. For example, it absolutely cannot play the test pattern on Avia used to set contrast levels.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Marantz has a free repair for units that exhibit a loss of vertical sync as a result of bright flashing (at least it works for composite and S-video, I don't know about component, but I would assume so). However, be advised that depending on the quality of your source components (DVD player, etc.,) it may not cure the problem entirely. For my own experience, hooking up a cheap Toshiba SD-1600 DVD still results in some flashing, while the more expensive SD-2300 (with its better video ciruitry) is fine. I know how annoying that problem is. Good luck!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Do You have Scan Velocity Modulation on HDTV, some movies are washed out and show significent brightness. When connected to component input you can't change your settings, like S-video or composite. Read up on your owners manual, some HDTV SVM can be turned off by acessing the Service menu. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ChrisAG - What do you mean by a free repair? How would I get that arranged? I called them today and they didn't mention it. They said to make sure that the OSD was off, which it is.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Marantz knows that their early video boards exhibited the flashing problem, and offer a free upgrade. Some dealers may be able to do it, but you may have to ship the unit out to their repair centre. Call them up again - maybe ask to speak to a supervisor?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.