AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't live with an LCD after seeing the Sharp 9000. LCDs just don't have enough contrast for me. I couldn't live with a 4:3 DLP either after seeing the Sharp. The 16:9 Sharp has such better resolution. That leaves the Sharp and the Marantz, the two I'm trying to decide about myself.

The Sharp and Marantz specs are almost identical. The Marantz is a bit quieter (29dB vs. 32dB).

The problem with the Marantz is its throw distance:

Quote:

Originally posted by NiToNi:

Lens: 1.2x zoom, f 26.5-30.7/F 3.0

Screen Range: 40-250 inches diagonal

Throwing distance (16:9)in feet:

40": 4.3-4.9

80": 8.5-9.8

100: 10.8-12.5

120: 12.8-12.1

200: 21.6-24.9
For the projector to be 14 feet back, your screen would have to be well over 120" diagonal. For your 87" screen, the projector would have to be no further than 10 feet back.

On the other hand, for your 87" screen, the Sharp could be between 11'6" and 15'7" back. I created a spreadsheet to calculate screen dimensions and Sharp throw distances. As soon as I find a Marantz throw distance formula, I'll add that to:

http://www.teamzim.com/augie/screen_...calculator.xls

There is some speculation that the Marantz might have the new Texas Instruments' HD2 DLP chip. The mirrors on that chip tilt 12 degrees instead of 10 degrees, theoretically improving black levels and contrast. Everyone has heard that the Marantz will be available in November, but if it is going to have the HD2, maybe it won't come out until January's Consumer Electronics Show.

Bottom line, the Sharp is the winner for a lot of us because of its longer throw distance. But I'm going to wait until the Marantz comes out just to be sure its not so much better than the Sharp that the longer throw distance would be worth sacrificing.

One last consideration: The Sharp's MSRP is $11,000, its "street price" is $10,000, but you can easily find it for $8,000. The Marantz's MSRP is $13,000. If it follows the Sharp pricing, you may be able to find it for $10,000 eventually, but that's still $2,000 more than the Sharp.

[This message has been edited by Augie (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am seriously considering the Sharp 9000 but every picture posted on this forum makes the Sharp picture look very blue (cold). Is there any way to warm up the color temperature on the Sharp?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 7 color temperature settings on the Sharp.

IMHO, posted digital pictures are useless in determining color temp. How the pictures look depend on the environment they were taken in, the projector's color temp setting, the camera's capabilities and characteristics, the quality of the posted picture, and your monitor's settings. Too many variables.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you for your posts! I've narrowed it down to the Marantz 8100 DLP or the Sharp 9000. Not sure which one I should get, though I can get the marantz for $1500 less, though used, it would have a new bulb. I can get the Sharp 9000 for $7k if anyone cares to purchase one...

eric

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Augie Eric is talking about another Marantz and not the upcoming one VP-12 and therefore in my opinion give the ones to choose from there can be only be one projector. The Sharp XV-Z9000U http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, sorry. The current Marantz 8100 has a 4:3 DLP. So I'm with Spero, unless you are willing to wait on the Marantz 12S1 and its finally specs, the 9000 is the way to go. The 9000 is worth the extra $1,500 (over the 8100), especially if you only have to pay $7,000!

I'm very interested in talking to someone willing to sell the 9000 for $7,000. Please send me a private message with the information.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Augie wrote: "I'm very interested in talking to someone willing to sell the 9000 for $7,000. Please send me a private message with the information."

Me too.

Thanks,

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The Sharp is a great projector, but it is no quantum leap better than other projectors. The Sharp is only marginally better than a $2200 LT150 or a $4500 PLV60, IMHO.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering which you'd buy if all around the same price. I'm considering the units for a 16:9 screen, throw distnace around 14 feet. My room is rather dark to begin with, and I'll have a 87" screen.

Would you buy the Sanyo PLV60, Sharp Z9000, DreamVision 500DLP, or the marantz 8100 dlp? (Obviously, looking for best black levels, color levels, and quietest unit of the bunch)...

thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stheger:
Hi all,

should get, though I can get the marantz for $1500 less, though used, it would have a new bulb. I can get the Sharp 9000 for $7k if anyone cares to purchase one...

eric
How much is your dealer friend selling the Sanyo PLV-60HT for?

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to own the Marantz 8100. The unit is nice and the internal scaler is very good. I sold it and purchased a Sanyo XP21N and a Quadscan. I can easily say that I made a good decision. The clarity, color and contrast of the Sanyo trumps the Marantz unit. Also a friend of mine has an LT-150/Quadscan combo, this too is a much better combo than the VP8100.

------------------

Through man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world...

- Saint Arnoldus

·
Registered
38 Posts
PLEASE tell me where I can get the Sharp Z9000 for $7000 in the U.S.; I spoke with Jason today and he wouldn't quote me a price saying that Sharp hadn't granted AVS dealer rights or something...he was obviously pressed for time.

Dr D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.