AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hope we get some feedback for this thread.

I'm trying to decide between the Marantz 8400 and the Denon 2900. Early reviews on the 2900 are pretty strong. The Marantz is supposed to have outstanding audio, but the unit's msrp is about $700 higher than the Denon and it doesn't appear to have the level of base management of the Denon. The Marantz should be more comparable (if price means anything) to the upcoming Denon 3900.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have been going back and forth between the two also.

Here are some things to consider.

The marantz will have dvi out, which will give outstanding pic.

The marantz (imho) will have better sound than the dennon.

The dennon will have base management for dvd audio and sacd, while the marantz will only have base management on sacd.

Being that this audio/video world is changeing so fast, I dont think it will be long until we get dvi out, and firewire(like the phillips), and bass managemernt for sacd and dvd audio, all in one package.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Matt,

Good Summary on the relative pluses for each piece.

I'm leaning towards the Marantz if indeed the audio is a good bit better, but the price differential is pretty significant, especially considering that I will probably need to spend another $250 for the ICBM base manager that wouln't be needed with the Denon.

If I can get a Denon dealer to guarantee a good trade-in price when the Denon 3900 is out that might swing things the other way.

What does DVI add and do you need a monotor with DVI connection to take advantage of it. I've only had my HDTV about a year so it will be a while before I upgrade.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LennyPK
Matt,

What does DVI add and do you need a monotor with DVI connection to take advantage of it.
It adds significantly to picture quality but its benefit is best appreciated on a larger screen. For example, the improvement is not huge on my 17 inch LCD computer monitor, but it is an improvement. And yes, you'll need DVI inputs and outputs.

Does anyone know if the Marantz does 720P?

·
Registered
84 Posts
To use the DVI on the player, you would need a DVI input on your HDTV.

If you have a PLasma or LCD monitor, The signal through the DVI will be all digital from dvd to tv

If you have a CRT RPTV HDTV, the signal will be digital from the dvd player via the DVI but will be converted back to analog on the tv.

This will still give you a better picture then the traditional, analog (via component or s-video) to digital back to analog that occurs with dvd players without a DVI output.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Does anyone know if they have corrected all the problems with the 8300? The 8300 basically failed the DVD player shootout tests.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The 8400 I believe, like the 8300 before it is based on the Pioneer Elite model (I have the DV-47A in the bedroom system which I've compared to the 8300). I took a quick look at it at the store where my friend works part-time and looked at the manual briefly. I don't believe from what I read (although I did it very quickly) that the DVI output is active at all. There was a blurb that it could be activated by software for future use. So think of it as a Elite unit with better audio.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My information from Marantz is that the DVI input is active on the 8400. I am expecting one for review soon. As an aside, the Denon 2900 has already been received by the main office, I am awaiting shipment to me after photography. I will probably end up having both here at the same time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Uhm. . . its DVI when shipped doesn't work. It is supposedly gonna be possible to upgrade to do something, but as it is right now the DVI is worthless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.