AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Marantz 9500 Universal audio/video player for just under three years. I use it strictly for audio. CD's, SACD's and DVD-A's in surround.

But now I find it refuses to play my surround DVD-A's & DTS CD's IN surround! (It does play SACD's in surround, however.) I made sure that the menus from the player were set properly, and also the menus on the discs, (I've been doing this for years with no problems) but the player is showing Downmix on the display, which means it is downmixing surround from my DVD-A's and DTS CD's to stereo.

I called Marantz tech support but they could not help me. This is extremely disappointing, as I have well over sixty DVD-A's and also a handfull of DTS CD's, all of which are now "stuck" in stereo.

Does anyone else on this site have this player? Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
I assume you are using a multichannel analog connection from the player. Sounds like an issue with a setting to me, especially if the player is displaying "Downmix".

You may need to reset the player's processor. If the instruction manual doesn't include info on how to do this, Marantz should be able to provide it. Sometimes it is a "secret" code that you punch into the remote. Or it might be done by holding down a particular button on the front panel while turning it ON.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I said, I did call Marantz tech. service. They couldn't help me on this. All they seemed to do was read things out of the manual. They said nothing about resetting the players processor. (I also tried resetting the player to the way it came from the factory.) I even tried pulling the power cable for thirty seconds. Nothing worked.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman /forum/post/15563490

All they seemed to do was read things out of the manual.

Yeah, that's what tech support does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman /forum/post/15563490

They said nothing about resetting the players processor.

So, ask them about it.

You tried resetting it as described on pg54 of your manual? "Audio out" defaults to "2 Channel". I assume you are setting it to "5.1 Channel".

That is works fine with SACD and not with DVD-As and DTS CDs indicates to me that there might NOT be something wrong with it. There is a reason it is "Downmixing". Have you tried a movie soundtrack? DD and DTS.

This IS a multichannel analog connection, correct? What is the player connected to? Do you also have a digital connection from the player to the receiver/pre-pro?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did reset it as described on page 54 of the manual. It did reset to stereo, so then I changed it back to 5.1.

As for trying movies.... that hadn't occured to me, since I was using this player soley for music playback. I decided to try it though, to see if it would provide you with a clue. It did play in Dolby Digital Surround (using analog connections to my Sony TA-P 9000 ES

multichannel preamp) with the movie Saving Private Ryan. It did not have audio though with a Super Bit DTS of Lawrence of Arabia. I don't know why, because the display on my Marantz 9500 showed DTS & the speaker arrangement for 5.1 surround.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since my first post, another problem has come up with my 9500. It refuses to play any CD! I can't believe it! So I broke down and took it in for repair. Luckily, I still have almost one more month of warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a similar problem with my Marantz DV8400.

It will not play certain DVD A titles. Some surround dvda's work but some don't. No problems with SACD or DVD video.

Just started doing this in the past year.

Seems to be my silverline titles that give it trouble, but these discs definitely used to work

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 8400 would not play DVD-A's or DAD's reliably. I didn't have it a year and sold that sucker. Now my DV9500 is getting balky playing certain DVD-A's.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The reason I got rid of my Denon 3910 was that it wouldn't play certain discs. So I picked up the Marantz 9600. Haven't had any problems with it so far. I wonder if other have had any problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts