AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
By the number of posts, the Firehawk seems to be the popular choice. I have one and it's great. Even Marantz demos using the Firewhawk.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Rob Tomlin, AVS member, has a Silverstar for his TV3. He expects to have it up and running in about two weeks (HT still under construction). He will be able to give you an opinion then, if you can wait.

I have seen my SP7200 on a 106" D silverstar. Bad combination. Blacks way too light, and video noise way to clearly displayed due to extreme brightness. Because of that experience, I would recommend that you wait to see this combo yourself, or get alot of different opinions from people who have personnaly seen a 700 lumen HD2 on a Siverstar that is the size you propose getting. What size is that by the way? When I go to Rob's I will zoom the TV3 to your screen size to simulate your situation and give you an opinion.

I have seen the Marantz on a large Firehawk. It was beautiful. It brought the blacks down very close to CRT levels. Top and Bottom bars on scope movies were almost as black as the felt borders on the screen frame.

The firehawk is my favorite. I grow to love mine more every day.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I use a 16:9 110" Firehawk with the S2 in a fairly light controlled enviroment. Looks stunning!

____

Axel

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
George,

Storminorm, AVS member, just got a Silverstar Screen. I think he has a Sim PJ. He should be posting impressions in the Screen forum pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Noone have any problems with the firehawks limited viewing angle?

I´ve never seen a firehawk, but from the specs I thought I´d go for a Studiotek or Da-Lite high contrast cinema vision(whats the viewing angle of that one?), because I worry that the firehawk will look bad from some of my seats(I sit about 15 feet from the screen, but the side seats are closer).

p.s. I´m planing on getting an infocus 5700

·
Registered
393 Posts
When I wanted to compare screens, I took my SIM300PLUS to a local HT store. They had a Marantz S2 hooked up to a Silverstar and it looked GREAT. They let me hook up my SIM to the Silverstar and that is what sold me. I really love this screen. They also had a Firehawk that I hooked up my SIM to but the Silverstar still looked better, even the salesman was impressed. Its your decision and to be honest you can't lose on either screen, but for me its the Silverstar. I've got mine still in the shipping crate and I'm not sure when I'll get it hung since breaking my arm this past Thursday.:( :( I'M IN A TIGHT SPOT...

BOTH SCREENS WERE 110' DIAG.

I had a Dalite HCCM 106" but it just did'nt do the job. It was ok but the Silverstar is more of a WOW :) :)

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keyser
Noone have any problems with the firehawks limited viewing angle?

Nope, but my room is only a bit wider than the screen...

_______

Axel

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
How does the Da-Lite high contrast cinema vision compare to the Firehawk?

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
" How does the Da-Lite high contrast cinema vision compare to the Firehawk? " -

I can't anwser that but I really like my HCCV with my ceiling mounted HT1000. Much better than my previous matt white screen. Blacks look great, whites are bright and I have not seen any " sparklies ". Looked surprisingly good watching HDTV with quite a bit of ambient light. Since I needed an electric screen the Firehawk was financially out of the question.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Do you know the viewing angle of the HCCV?

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
From Da Lites website -

High Contrast Cinema Vision

A smooth, gray, vinyl finish surface for moderate output LCD and DLP projectors. This surface improves the perceived contrast by lowering black levels and offers a moderate amount of gain. It is a flexible unsupported vinyl fabric and may be folded or rolled. Available on all models offered with the Cinema Vision surface.

Gain: 1.1 Viewing Angle: 45°

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The Firehawk states 100° viewing angle, how does HCCV´s 45° compare.. does the 45 mean 90 on the same scale as the firehawk?

Craig, what white screen did you have before? I´ve thought of going with the Studiotek 130.

Does anyone have white walls in their home theater projector room?

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
I was using a regular Cosmopolitan Electrol matt white screen. It worked fine really, but the HCCV seems better with uncontrolled ambient light and contrast seems improved.

I don't know how Stewart figures viewing angles.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
With the Firehawk, the brightness drops of dramatically when you move out of the viewing cone. If you have a very bright PJ, like the Infocus, it is probably still bright enough to see OK, but not optimum, provided you don't move to far out to the sides. With a less bright PJ, it would be way too dim.

I begin to notice the drop in brightness when I move more than 2'-3' beyond the edge of the screen while sitting at 1.5X the screen width away.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think I´ll go for the Studiotek, I think the viewing angles of the firehawk aren´t good enough for my room and the greyhawk might be to dim. Unless the viewing angle of the Da-Lite HCCV is better then the firehawk?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.