AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a little bit of a conundrum on picking a Receiver and Blu-Ray player. I can get the Marantz av5007 and ud5007 Blu-ray for $1050 as a package, NIB with full warranty. Originally I was drawn to the Marantz receiver for looks but also liked the fact that it had 7 channel external amp capability if I were to get external amps down the road. I had also originally planned on getting an OPPO BD103 before this deal came along. However I will now have all of my audio gear hidden away so "looks nice" is not as big a factor anymore. What are some other options I should like at. I am mainly a videophile but could see myself venturing more into the audiophile 2 channel room as I am drastically upgrading my speakers from what I used to have. Without further ado this is what I have and my minimum requirements.

I already have or will have

Speakers LCR

Salk Supercharged Songtower's http://www.salksound.com/songtower%20supercharged%20home.htm

Salk Supercharged Songcenter http://www.salksound.com/supercharged%20songtcenter%20home.htm

Rythmik Subwoofer LV12R (possibly a second later) http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

Surround speakers (for the time being)

NHT Superzero 2.1 http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-1?sc=12&category=5060

Video Side

Epson 5020UB projector

Other equipment

Apple TV3

Cable Box

Possibly a computer running XBMC

iRule to control it all with a backup remote system using an IR repeater

What I am looking for

7.1 or 7.2 capability

Minimum of Audyssey MultEQXT or equivalent (I have heard that Audyssey is better than the alternatives though)

7 channel preamp out

3D pass-through

Staying at $1100 or less for both the receiver and blu-ray (I can get the Marantz av5007 for $750 if a different blu-ray would be recommended)

I am not opposed to purchasing from Amazon or any other store/audiogon etc (amazon would allow me to up the budget another $160 if needed but would prefer to use those gift cards towards other items)

Having a warranty or at least being able to verify the product works is important to me.

I do not have a Costco for those of you planning to recommend a Pioneer from there.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well, I could probably write a book, but I'll just say that I have the SR5006 and UD5005 (last year's version of what you are asking about) and have been mostly happy. I don't like the minimal display on the receiver face and don't like the fact you have to use HDMI for on-screen display. You won't have any issues with this based on what you are doing. I've never had reliability issues, problems with the sound or any other operational quirks. The blu-ray player has worked flawlessly as well.

I especially like the fact that you can set up the receiver from your computer. Just plug it into the network and go to the IP address in your browser. From there I believe you can do everything excepting the microphone run.

B.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. So far it looks to be the route I am going to go. Honestly I would never have looked at the ud5007 blu-ray player as the price is pretty steep, but the combo price is hard to beat. I still like the thought of the OPPO and have never heard anything bad about them but I am finding it hard to justify the extra money on it right now vs. this package.

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
That's a great deal for that combo. MSRP would be $1450 I believe. I agree the Oppo will do more but at the price offered I'd say go for it. I own the UD5007 and really like it. It loads blu-rays much faster than the 5005 and the two channel analog outs are nice if you enjoy 2-channel music. It's a bit lean on streaming apps and only includes Netflx, Hulu Plus, Vudu, and YouTube. That wasn't a big deal to me though since I care more about blu-ray and music (flac).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see Onecall has the Onkyo NR818 for $699 (if you call to order). That would give me a few more watts and Audyssey XT32 over the Marantz. If I ordered the OPPO BDP 103 through Amazon with some giftcards I have my out of pocket would come to $1000. Have to research that a little more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White  /t/1468232/marantz-av5007-ud5007-or#post_23218491

Isn't the Onkyo only 2 channels driven? I've been looking to upgrade too and was recently told to look into Marantz. Are they including shipping? Is this deal only for you?

I found about the 818 deal on this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418870/onkyo-tx-nr818-949-88/420#post_23217441 I called Onecall and they gave me the $699 price over the phone for a new unit with free shipping. This price is for anyone, however you have to call them to get it as the website lists the price for more. Yes that is 2 channels driven. I am not as conerned about that as I eventually will probably get a 3 channel amp for the LCR. The Marantz sr5007 is also rated at 2 channels driven at 100 watts vs the Onkyo at 135 watts. I have not seen any test bench numbers for the both of them to see how far the drop off is for all channels driven. To get into all channels driven at high level you really have to drop some big bucks on a receiver or go separates.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White  /t/1468232/marantz-av5007-ud5007-or#post_23219353

http://www.nhthifi.com/Marantz-SR5007-100W-7-2-Home-Theater-Receiver-w-Airplay?sc=12&category=6561

Says that Marantz is 7x100 all powered. I was looking to get a Emotiva amp and (another) Onkyo receiver but was told to try out Marantz because they have more power. Then if I still am not getting enough to buy a amp later on.

Having trouble finding it's all channels driven specs. Best Buy and tigerdirct seem to claim that it has a total output of 945 watts. Which would equate to 135x7. Again I can't find real world tests. I think the Adyssey xt32 upgrade, the ability to go 9.2 with external amps, and the cheaper price are winning it for me so far. A few places I called around to said the Onkyo 818 is a better comparison to the Marantz sr6007.

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdgate  /t/1468232/marantz-av5007-ud5007-or#post_23219451

Having trouble finding it's all channels driven specs. Best Buy and tigerdirct seem to claim that it has a total output of 945 watts. Which would equate to 135x7. Again I can't find real world tests. I think the Adyssey xt32 upgrade, the ability to go 9.2 with external amps, and the cheaper price are winning it for me so far. A few places I called around to said the Onkyo 818 is a better comparison to the Marantz sr6007.

My guess is that the Marantz will provide 2 channels driven to specification but not with all channels driven. Unfortunately, most of the major companies play this game. Only a few manufacturers, such as NAD, report all channels driven specifications anymore. Onkyos usually have very good amps but I haven't owned one in so long so can't comment on the newer models.

Concerning the Oppo, the major advantages include connectivity and file support. If you just want to spin shiny discs neither the Oppo or Marantz are particularly economical options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts