AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top-level problem: After working during setup, AV7702 is now infinitely power looping, immediately shutting down once it turns the 12V output on.

I ran out of HDMI inputs, and that's a good reason to upgrade my 8 year old Sony receiver :)
I bought the Marantz AV7702 from Amazon, and it arrived this week. I wired it all in yesterday, and set it up today.
I set up the AV7702 with Audyssey calibration, speaker/amp selection, and setting up only a single input "GAME" connected to the HTPC, and it worked so far.

Then, I connected to the device from a web browser, to start assigning inputs, and re-assigned some inputs in the web interface (mainly, the Xbox composite input.)
To know which unit is what, I powered on all the sources.
Then I went to the "rename inputs" page, and at that point, the unit started power cycling.
Each time it comes up, as soon as it's "ready" (turning on the 12V output,) it almost immediately (within a second) turns it off again and restarts.
Note that all the inputs were connected before, but only the "GAME" input (HTPC) was configured and turned on.

Because the boot cycle seems unhealthy to the TV and speakers, I pulled the power plug out of the unit.
When plugging the unit back in, it now won't even turn on -- it will switch between orange light, and a short red light with a relay click.

Is this at all a known problem? Is there a software update that can fix this? Or do I call warranty service and have a new unit shipped? If so, any good advice; do they cross ship, etc?
(I got the unit on Amazon Prime, so returning there would be painless!)

Extreme details in case you care:
My setup (has worked fine forever with the Sony STR-DA5200ES) is:

- US/California
- living room with front wall covered in burlap/rockwool for treatment
- media cabinet with one 20A circuit for preamp and sources
- 12V hard-wired relay to a second 20A circuit to power speakers and TV screen (this saves power when the unit is off!)
- Balanced wire run from the media cabinet to each of the mounted speakers (6.1 setup)
- Currently using RCA outs and an EbTech Line Level Shifter to go to balanced, because I need adapters from the XLR in the 7702 to the TRS 1/4" terminating my cable run. The Sony only had RCA.
- 35 foot HDMI run with equalizer to the TV screen
- Gigabit Ethernet router in the media cabinet with in-wall run up to my main phone/network/cable/server closet
- Thermostat controlled fans to move air when needed

Sources are:
- PS/4 HDMI
- PS/3 HDMI
- Steam Link HDMI
- Intel NUC with Kodi on Windows 10 HDMI
- Xbox/360 (component video + optical!)

The in-cabinet circuit is also split in two through a UPS, which I use for units that have hard drives.
Everything connected to the network hub, as well.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If it were me I would start by disconnecting everything and see if it will start up. Your relay may be too much load for the trigger circuit, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were me I would start by disconnecting everything and see if it will start up. Your relay may be too much load for the trigger circuit, just a thought.
Yes, I considered that. I did take out the relay, and it does the same thing. Then I took out everything except power, and it STILL does the same thing.
So ... Marantz warranty experience stories would be great!
(They're going to have a hard time competing with "order another one for free two day delivery; return the first one as defective with free return shipping" though ...)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Just contact Amazon, I have never had any issues with returns. I would be leery about hooking up that relay again though.

·
Premium Member
88,902 Posts
Yes, I considered that. I did take out the relay, and it does the same thing. Then I took out everything except power, and it STILL does the same thing.
So ... Marantz warranty experience stories would be great!
(They're going to have a hard time competing with "order another one for free two day delivery; return the first one as defective with free return shipping" though ...)
Was this unit "sold by" Amazon, Amazon Warehouse, or a 3rd party? Is it new or refurbished?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
New, fulfilled by Amazon, so the Amazon return is not a problem. Just a hassle :) The box and things in it seemed factory sealed. To be nice to the next person, though, I'll put some light masking tape with the text "defective" on it to avoid Amazon just returning it to stock ... (I've heard some stories!)

Regarding the relay: It's correctly done, and doesn't draw that much current. I plugged everything back into the Sony, and it still worked as well as it ever did.

The Marantz, entirely unplugged (only power) still does the power cycling, so this feels a lot like lack of burn-on in the factory...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, Amazon doesn't have another new Prime unit.

I really don't need the features of the 7702mkII. I'm just driving 6.1. However, I do need a phletora of HDMI inputs, as well as Ethernet-based remote control, and ideally balanced outs. I don't need a power stage -- in fact, the heat from that is a negative.

Is there something equivalent, ideally at the same price as this?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In case anyone at all cares, Amazon was out of AV7702 replacements.
However, Emotiva has the XMC-1 on factory refurb (full warranty) for $1699, so I ended up ordering that.
I will also have to replace the Xbox with one that does HDMI, but as the 'bone now does backwards compatibility, that might be good enough. The non-S version is now $199.

Anyway, been perusing the Emotiva manual, and the setup of that box seems SO MUCH MORE IN LINE with what I'd expect than any of the consumer gear I've used before.
(I also use some pro gear, and that's usually more well designed and usually makes more sense.)
The other drawback with the Emotiva is that it'll draw 30 Watts day and night, unless the family wants to wait a minute each time they turn it on. (They don't.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts