AVS Forum banner

13401 - 13420 of 15658 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,684 Posts
Hope all goes well for you mate.Our jobs are the backbone of our lives so i hope it gets sorted for you mate.Things have been a little slow for me as far as work goes but starting to pick up a little and has come at the right time.Good luck with everything mate.
Thanks @grassy and @audiofan1. I'm being treated well on the way out and there are lots of jobs in my field, so I'm not really concerned about finding employment and therefore not too worried about finances (though it will be nice to wrap things up so that the uncertainty of not knowing is gone). The trick is going to be finding another job that I really enjoy as the one I had is going to be tough to live up to (which is why I stayed there so long). I had built up to tons of vacation time, worked from home 4 days a week, had interesting work, worked with good people overall, and so on.

The good thing in all of this is that I've imposed a freeze on buying anything "expensive" until I know where I'm going to end up. What's the good part about that? It's forcing me to wait and see what Marantz does with the 8804 and what options there are from the competition (at various price points). Same thing with the upgrade to a 4K display as I'm now forcing myself to hold off a bit longer which likely means some combination of improved technology and a lower cost on the 75+ inch display I'll want to go with. The resale value on my Denon AVP may be close to zero by the time I upgrade, but that's fine as I got a great deal on it and don't feel it owes me anything at this point; it's one of the best A/V purchases I've ever made.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The Oppo 203 is now playing DV titles but I will quantify that this test was performed by playing DV demo clips, through the 203, via USB (obviously no discs yet). When going through the 8802A, my E6 will only recognize the signal as HDR10 and display it as such but when I bypassed the 8802A, my E6 kicked into DV mode.

Bummer, I hope that we get a firmware upgrade, otherwise will have to permanently install the other HDMI cable. :(
Yes.. Really a shame. I guess Marantz and I just were not ment to be.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Reactions: captainbrent

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I called Marantz again on the DV pass-through update and was informed that they have been getting swamped with questions about firmware updates. We should know something soon. I did find out that next month Anthem is going to update the AVM60 with Dolby vision & HLG firmware update which means the Anthem is getting upgraded to HDMI 2.0b. I let the customer the service rep know when I called and pretty told him everybody else has disclosed their plans except Marantz USA. The Anthem AVM60 is the competitor that everyone seems to jump to when they leave Marantz.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I called Marantz again on the DV pass-through update and was informed that they have been getting swamped with questions about firmware updates. We should know something soon. I did find out that next month Anthem is going to update the AVM60 with Dolby vision & HLG firmware update which means the Anthem is getting upgraded to HDMI 2.0b. I let the customer the service rep know when I called and pretty told him everybody else has disclosed their plans except Marantz USA. The Anthem AVM60 is the competitor that everyone seems to jump to when they leave Marantz.
That was the one I was getting. I had a few anthem units. I got talked into the Marantz 😯

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
So I am not the only one that got duped.
I just picked up my Marantz about 2? months ago and the AVM was in the running.

At that time, the prevailing wisdom from Dolby was that they didn't need any special support to passthrough Dolby Vision - stating it could even work with HDMI 1.4 so I wasn't even bothered.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

At that time, the prevailing wisdom from Dolby was that they didn't need any special support to passthrough Dolby Vision - stating it could even work with HDMI 1.4 so I wasn't even bothered.
No it is not Dolby it is the manufacturers, all that is needed is a firmware update no new hardware if your receiver/processor has HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a. The only miscommunication was that HDMI 1.4a was that was all that was needed which is correct I think, but then one of the prerequisites for UHD is HDCP 2.2 which means HDMI 2.0a is needed not HDMI 1.4a

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

If you are still in the return window I would return your 8802a and get a Anthem AVM60, Nick from Anthem said yesterday that HLG and DV are going to be added next month.

·
Premium Member
23,212 Posts
H Log gamma likes of bbc use it to stream HDR

so yeah another thing we get side stepped on with the marantz

sounds like anthem have their customers loyalty at heart... rather than side stepping so can release a new model...

We don't know yet. Problem is if they do release this for the 8802A the 8804 has to offer something special.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If you are still in the return window I would return your 8802a and get a Anthem AVM60, Nick from Anthem said yesterday that HLG and DV are going to be added next month.
I am out of my window. I checked last month. I just have to wonder how many people don't even know yet and just assume it will be upgraded.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I am out of my window. I checked last month. I just have to wonder how many people don't even know yet and just assume it will be upgraded.
If you purchased from a boutique store and you have a relationship with someone there you may be able to get a favor, does not hurt to ask. I asked that yesterday when I called Marantz. I said to the gentleman you obviously know what it takes for DV pass-through to work and what is needed because you trying to sell 2017 receivers that are DV pass-through capable. You have to wonder as well that Anthem has already stated that they are updating the AVM60 which I believe a 2015 processor just like the 8802a. Also Anthem is pretty much late to game on everything, talking about taking your home sweet time Anthem & NAD both fall into that category. No clue if NAD has made DV pass- though announcements yet but their processor I believe is upgradable which has been discussed before in this thread.

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
I would guess that many AV8802 owners haven't even heard of DV (and likely even fewer have a DV capable TV at this point) and also that most of those that have, will have the 4k BDP as their only 4k source which (with dual HDMI outputs) will pass the DV video to the TV and the HD audio to the AV8802.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would guess that many AV8802 owners haven't even heard of DV (and likely even fewer have a DV capable TV at this point) and also that most of those that have, will have the 4k BDP as their only 4k source which (with dual HDMI outputs) will pass the DV video to the TV and the HD audio to the AV8802.
That is a very generalized statement! Why would you say that?

13401 - 13420 of 15658 Posts