AVS Forum banner

15521 - 15540 of 15645 Posts

·
Premium Member
87,932 Posts
I need some help what I believe is a setting on my 8802A. I have a scoured the menus on both my 8802 and my OPPO 103 that is connected via HDMI only. My question is how to listen to s CD without having my television on? As soon as I turn off the TV, I get no sound? As soon as I turn the TV back on the sound is back. What am I missing?
This has been known to happen with some TVs in that the AVP is expecting to handshake with the TV prior to the source passing an audio only signal to the AVP. Try powering off the TV, AVP, and Oppo and unplugging their respective power cables and HDMI cables that connect them for 10 minutes. Connect all cables and power on the AVP, pause 5 seconds, then Oppo. If still no joy, try adding an HDMI switch/splitter between the AVP and TV which will copy the TV's EDID and then should allow you to keep the TV powered off while listening to a CD.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well, there must be something else different. As I said in my previous post, I can turn off the TV without interrupting the audio from the player. It is not obvious what might be different, except that I am not using a fiber HDMI connection. Maybe someone else will be able to provide you with some insight as to what might be going on.

Edit: My TV is usually on when I am using my setup. If I don’t want something displaying on the TV, my Sony has a “Pic Off” command that darkens the display.
On 2014 (lower) and older models, when HDMI Control is enabled on both the TV and AVR/AVP (ie. required for ARC), when the AVR/AVP is first powered on, it will automatically switch to the "TV Audio" source in anticipation of receiving the ARC signal from the TV. In 2014, a new setting ("TV Audio Switching") was first introduced on the higher models and on then on all 2015 and newer models. It factory defaults to ON and causes the AVR/AVP to react the same way as their predecessors (ie. AVR/AVP switches to "TV Audio" when ARC is enabled on the TV and HDMI Control is set on the AVR/AVP); however, when set to OFF, does not automatically switch the AVR/AVP to "TV Audio" such that you must manually select "TV Audio" when you want to use ARC.
This has been known to happen with some TVs in that the AVP is expecting to handshake with the TV prior to the source passing an audio only signal to the AVP. Try powering off the TV, AVP, and Oppo and unplugging their respective power cables and HDMI cables that connect them for 10 minutes. Connect all cables and power on the AVP, pause 5 seconds, then Oppo. If still no joy, try adding an HDMI switch/splitter between the AVP and TV which will copy the TV's EDID and then should allow you to keep the TV powered off while listening to a CD.
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me through this minor but annoying little bug. If leaving the TV on when listing to a CD is the simple fix then so be it. I stream music from my Lumin D2 most of the time on this system anyway.

Again...Thanks a bunch!!

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,879 Posts
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me through this minor but annoying little bug. If leaving the TV on when listing to a CD is the simple fix then so be it. I stream music from my Lumin D2 most of the time on this system anyway.

Again...Thanks a bunch!!
TBH, unless there is something on the TV screen that you find annoying while you are listening to music, my feeling is that leaving the TV powered on is the best choice anyway. In my opinion, it is much harder on a display’s electronics to be powered off and on frequently. When I power on the TV in the morning (I am retired), it stays powered on until I retire in the evening. Not only is this easier on the electronics, prolonging the TV’s life, but it provides the on-screen display for volume adjustments, etc. if you own a plasma TV, it can’t be that new, so prolonging its life would be high on my list. JMO.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
TBH, unless there is something on the TV screen that you find annoying while you are listening to music, my feeling is that leaving the TV powered on is the best choice anyway. In my opinion, it is much harder on a display’s electronics to be powered off and on frequently. When I power on the TV in the morning (I am retired), it stays powered on until I retire in the evening. Not only is this easier on the electronics, prolonging the TV’s life, but it provides the on-screen display for volume adjustments, etc. if you own a plasma TV, it can’t be that new, so prolonging its life would be high on my list. JMO.
Could not agree more, I have tried a couple of times to replace my trusted Pioneer plasma with an OLED and a high end LCD only to have thatnew panel find its way back to the store in favor of my plasma. It will be a sad day when my Pioneer Kuro gives out so prolonging its life is a good thing indeed!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Stereo Sub Output

I just read something in S&V magazine that I never considered or realized. It was a sub set-up article and the author made a recommendation for dual subwoofers to not set them up as a stereo pair. Makes sense if the intent of the dual subwoofers is to create more immersive bass to better fill a room. I had never even considered that the subwoofer signal might be output as distinct left and right channel. I just assumed it was output as mono even if the AVR or processor has dual outputs.

I searched the AV8802 manual and did not find any information to clarify if the dual sub outputs are distinct stereo (left/right) or just a split mono signal. I am using the dual XLR sub outputs on my AV8802A, one to each subwoofer. If this is a stereo arrangement, I am not sure I would make a change as I am happy with the bass response currently from my two Rythmik F8's.

Curious if anyone knows how Marantz sets up a dual subwoofer output... Is it true stereo or just a combined mono on both outputs ?

·
Premium Member
87,932 Posts
I just read something in S&V magazine that I never considered or realized. It was a sub set-up article and the author made a recommendation for dual subwoofers to not set them up as a stereo pair. Makes sense if the intent of the dual subwoofers is to create more immersive bass to better fill a room. I had never even considered that the subwoofer signal might be output as distinct left and right channel. I just assumed it was output as mono even if the AVR or processor has dual outputs.

I searched the AV8802 manual and did not find any information to clarify if the dual sub outputs are distinct stereo (left/right) or just a split mono signal. I am using the dual XLR sub outputs on my AV8802A, one to each subwoofer. If this is a stereo arrangement, I am not sure I would make a change as I am happy with the bass response currently from my two Rythmik F8's.

Curious if anyone knows how Marantz sets up a dual subwoofer output... Is it true stereo or just a combined mono on both outputs ?
Split mono signal.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Again...Thanks a bunch!!
Strange I don't seem to have that problem and I still have the 8802a and Oppo 93 connected using HDMI. Only time I loose audio shutting off my projector is when streaming music from my PC which I expect to happen.

BTW, everyone that upgraded to the 8805 from the 8802a, is it a noticable change or sound quality improvement?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks JD... Is it even possible to set it up to output the sub channels as stereo ? I'm guessing this might be a capability found only in some stereo pre-amps.
Stereo subs sounds strange. I've never seen that configuration as an option. With Bass being non directional it sounds like a marketing ploy. A stereo sub connection I would think would be physically wired using the speaker wire from from the amp to the sub input and using the crossover in each sub to feed the left and right mains individually. Stereo subs I imagine can cause all types of problems. Especially, phase shifts.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,879 Posts
Thanks JD... Is it even possible to set it up to output the sub channels as stereo ? I'm guessing this might be a capability found only in some stereo pre-amps.
First of all, setting up the subs in stereo is not recommended. Low frequencies are omni-directional and usually recorded as such, so expecting to hear discrete, directional low frequency sounds is unrealistic.

There is a way you could experiment with stereo subs. You could daisy-chain the subs onto the end of the speaker-level cables going to the left and right speakers. Set a low pass filter on the subs to filter out high frequencies. Set the speakers as “Large” in the AVR to ensure a full-range signal reaches the subs. Not sure what this would sound like, but you can be the judge.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,879 Posts
Stereo subs sounds strange. I've never seen that configuration as an option. With Bass being non directional it sounds like a marketing ploy. A stereo sub connection I would think would be physically wired using the speaker wire from from the amp to the sub input and using the crossover in each sub to feed the left and right mains individually. Stereo subs I imagine can cause all types of problems. Especially, phase shifts.
Exactly. If stereo subs were desirable, you would see more people recommending this setup. You rarely hear it mentioned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Strange I don't seem to have that problem and I still have the 8802a and Oppo 93 connected using HDMI. Only time I loose audio shutting off my projector is when streaming music from my PC which I expect to happen.

BTW, everyone that upgraded to the 8805 from the 8802a, is it a noticable change or sound quality improvement?
Yes the 8805 is a very big jump in sound quality over the 8802A. Sweeter bigger soundstage greater dynamic range hi’s mids lows all sound much better.

It is a keeper...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes the 8805 is a very big jump in sound quality over the 8802A. Sweeter bigger soundstage greater dynamic range hi’s mids lows all sound much better.

It is a keeper...
Man, that has to be an awesome piece when considering how good the sound from the 8802a is. You've become an enabler to my addiction to great sound quality. I thought I was through. Now I see another upgrade coming in my life. It's never ending!!!

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,879 Posts
Man, that has to be an awesome piece when considering how good the sound from the 8802a is. You've become an enabler to my addiction to great sound quality. I thought I was through. Now I see another upgrade coming in my life. It's never ending!!!
IMO, you should also consider the Monolith HTP-1 16-channel processor with Dirac Live. Many of us who have come from Audyssey backgrounds consider Dirac to be the superior room correction technology.

·
Registered
718 Posts
IMO, you should also consider the Monolith HTP-1 16-channel processor with Dirac Live. Many of us who have come from Audyssey backgrounds consider Dirac to be the superior room correction technology.
I've heard good things about Dirac but looking at the rear of the Monolith it won't work for me because my main power amps for the front and center have RCA inputs only. Those I never plan on replacing. Dirac may be in the 8805 replacement whenever it comes. Maybe I'll hold off unless I get a price I can't turn down on the 8805. Thanks for the recommendation.

UPDATE: I ordered the 8805. Should get here Wednesday. Upgrade bug bit me hard!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Audessy microphone

I recently upgraded from a AV7702 to an AV8802A using Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-200 for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. I ran the Audessy calibration and got a good sound result, but found it selected my B&W CM7 front and center speakers as small and level was -12dB on almost all channels. Searched the forum here and ordered 7 XLR 10dB attenuation (have not received them yet.) However yesterday I tried the AV7702 microphone, since I never needed any damping with the AV7702 and that mic. I then got a completely different sound. Not positive and was faded and not clear at all. However levels were OK and it also selected my front and center as large.

My plan now is to wait for the -10dB XLR and rerun with the AV8802a mic. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Had weird issue yesterday I don’t think is coincidence. Reading through a few of the above posts I also have to have my projector on to be able to just listen to music.

So on my OPPO 203 I was listening to the new MOFI T. Rex disc last night and messing with some setting in my OPPO. I’m using an Epson 5040 projector and messing with the settings in the OPPO I was going to change the resolution. From “auto” to custom as I’m just letting the Epson upscale to 4K and wanting to run 1080p from the OPPO as it just looks better that way.

Anyways when I switched to custom I lost my picture, sound, everything. I couldn’t get the projector to turn off, had to try multiple things to get it to turn off. I then got everything turned back on and went to my appleTV to see if any issues. Same thing. However now the sound is working but the picture keeps cutting out, like a handshake issue. And again once picture cuts out I can’t control my projector by remote or by buttons on the Epson. When the picture comes back in for a flash second the controls on the Epson will work again so I have to quickly power off when opportunity arises.

I assume it’s something with my projector. I wasn’t on the latest firmware and had been meaning to update so I did that this morning. Turn everything on and, same thing.

Still assuming it’s the projector just to make sure I switch too the monitor 2 output on my Marantz and opulent you know it, it works perfectly. Did I fry the HDMI monitor output 1 on my Marantz somehow? Any suggestions? Using a mono price fiber optic HDMI cable by the way.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,879 Posts
I recently upgraded from a AV7702 to an AV8802A using Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-200 for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. I ran the Audessy calibration and got a good sound result, but found it selected my B&W CM7 front and center speakers as small and level was -12dB on almost all channels. Searched the forum here and ordered 7 XLR 10dB attenuation (have not received them yet.) However yesterday I tried the AV7702 microphone, since I never needed any damping with the AV7702 and that mic. I then got a completely different sound. Not positive and was faded and not clear at all. However levels were OK and it also selected my front and center as large.

My plan now is to wait for the -10dB XLR and rerun with the AV8802a mic. Any other suggestions?
Did you verify that the mic model numbers are the same? If they are, then you should be getting similar results. Unless, of course, one of the mics is defective.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,879 Posts
Had weird issue yesterday I don’t think is coincidence. Reading through a few of the above posts I also have to have my projector on to be able to just listen to music.

So on my OPPO 203 I was listening to the new MOFI T. Rex disc last night and messing with some setting in my OPPO. I’m using an Epson 5040 projector and messing with the settings in the OPPO I was going to change the resolution. From “auto” to custom as I’m just letting the Epson upscale to 4K and wanting to run 1080p from the OPPO as it just looks better that way.

Anyways when I switched to custom I lost my picture, sound, everything. I couldn’t get the projector to turn off, had to try multiple things to get it to turn off. I then got everything turned back on and went to my appleTV to see if any issues. Same thing. However now the sound is working but the picture keeps cutting out, like a handshake issue. And again once picture cuts out I can’t control my projector by remote or by buttons on the Epson. When the picture comes back in for a flash second the controls on the Epson will work again so I have to quickly power off when opportunity arises.

I assume it’s something with my projector. I wasn’t on the latest firmware and had been meaning to update so I did that this morning. Turn everything on and, same thing.

Still assuming it’s the projector just to make sure I switch too the monitor 2 output on my Marantz and opulent you know it, it works perfectly. Did I fry the HDMI monitor output 1 on my Marantz somehow? Any suggestions? Using a mono price fiber optic HDMI cable by the way.
Hard to say. When faced with hard-to-explain issues like yours, my recommendation would be to reset the 8802a to factory defaults to see it this clears the issue. Make sure you conduct a configuration save over the network to preserve your Audyssey calibration and other settings, and re-load the file after the reset has completed. If you are unfamiliar with how to do a network save, I can provide a link to the instructions.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hard to say. When faced with hard-to-explain issues like yours, my recommendation would be to reset the 8802a to factory defaults to see it this clears the issue. Make sure you conduct a configuration save over the network to preserve your Audyssey calibration and other settings, and re-load the file after the reset has completed. If you are unfamiliar with how to do a network save, I can provide a link to the instructions.

Thank you, yes if you could please provide the link that would be great!

15521 - 15540 of 15645 Posts