15541 - 15560 of 15645 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,844 Posts
Reactions: mcallister

·
Registered
716 Posts
I recently upgraded from a AV7702 to an AV8802A using Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-200 for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. I ran the Audessy calibration and got a good sound result, but found it selected my B&W CM7 front and center speakers as small and level was -12dB on almost all channels. Searched the forum here and ordered 7 XLR 10dB attenuation (have not received them yet.) However yesterday I tried the AV7702 microphone, since I never needed any damping with the AV7702 and that mic. I then got a completely different sound. Not positive and was faded and not clear at all. However levels were OK and it also selected my front and center as large.

My plan now is to wait for the -10dB XLR and rerun with the AV8802a mic. Any other suggestions?
Use the 8802a mic. Don't shortcut the setup.Use a minimum of 5 mic locations. Then make the final one your original center spot where you will be sitting. Even if it sets up your mains as small you can change that in the speaker setup menu with no ill effects.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Had weird issue yesterday I don’t think is coincidence. Reading through a few of the above posts I also have to have my projector on to be able to just listen to music.

So on my OPPO 203 I was listening to the new MOFI T. Rex disc last night and messing with some setting in my OPPO. I’m using an Epson 5040 projector and messing with the settings in the OPPO I was going to change the resolution. From “auto” to custom as I’m just letting the Epson upscale to 4K and wanting to run 1080p from the OPPO as it just looks better that way.

Anyways when I switched to custom I lost my picture, sound, everything. I couldn’t get the projector to turn off, had to try multiple things to get it to turn off. I then got everything turned back on and went to my appleTV to see if any issues. Same thing. However now the sound is working but the picture keeps cutting out, like a handshake issue. And again once picture cuts out I can’t control my projector by remote or by buttons on the Epson. When the picture comes back in for a flash second the controls on the Epson will work again so I have to quickly power off when opportunity arises.

I assume it’s something with my projector. I wasn’t on the latest firmware and had been meaning to update so I did that this morning. Turn everything on and, same thing.

Still assuming it’s the projector just to make sure I switch too the monitor 2 output on my Marantz and opulent you know it, it works perfectly. Did I fry the HDMI monitor output 1 on my Marantz somehow? Any suggestions? Using a mono price fiber optic HDMI cable by the way.
You didn't fry anything so relax. I have experienced that too. It's like an endless loop trying to catch it the right time to shut it off. Best way is to just select a different source. Once the picture from that source lights up you can shut the system down normally. Everything will be back to normal when you power back on.

Reactions: mcallister

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You didn't fry anything so relax. I have experienced that too. It's like an endless loop trying to catch it the right time to shut it off. Best way is to just select a different source. Once the picture from that source lights up you can shut the system down normally. Everything will be back to normal when you power back on.
Thanks, initially I tried switching to multiple inputs but couldn’t get a lock. However after reading your post I went down switched my HDMI from output 2 to the main and it worked! Probably would have went through the reset if you did not post this and glad I don’t have too.

Thanks for the help guys greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Maddmaster

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know if you found a resolution yet. As far as I can tell there is none because you are using the HDMI input. In the Setup menu under INPUTs you probably have it set to HDMI and Auto. What happens at that point using HDMI the system looks to see what type of signal is coming in. Many streaming signals will always show as 2 channel so it will default to 2 channel. Unfortunately, that's how the firmware is setup. Using the Smart Buttons on the remote is probably your only work around.

Somehow I missed your reply for nearly a month... I use a URC MX-980 remote, and I found a button code in the CCP library for AV8801 that is called DTS, but it will select either Dolby Surround mode or DTS Neural:X, depending on which was last selected in the AV8802A's Movie Sound mode settings. Even though the display never changes from "Dolby Surround," pressing this button corrects it from Stereo to the actual Dolby Surrond mode. I find this to be a better workaround than the smart buttons, which I don't have on my MX-980...

Interestingly, when I plug a Roku into the same input (HDMI1) and launch the same app (FuboTV) and tune to the same PCM stream, it defaults correctly to the actual Dolby Surround mode. The weird stereo problem appears to be unique to my Firestick, but no setting I can find there changes the behavior...

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
Yesterday (May 3,2020) my 5 year old AV8802A Pre Amp would not power on. I had been doing work on my house electrical system so I shut off the main breaker. Before that, I turned off all my major electronics including my Pre Amp. After finishing my house electrical work, I turned the main breaker back on. Later that evening I wanted to watch a movie and the Pre Amp would not power on. I tried everything that I could think of to troubleshoot the problem to no avail. I unplugged the unit and checked the power strip and the cord. The power strip has a serge protector but every item connected to it was working. I used a heavy duty extension cord to plug the unit into another outlet and still no power up. Today I called the Marantz service line. I was on hold for a long time and the call back feature did not work. After a long wait, I talked to the service person about the power up failure. They did not confirm that this is a common issue. They said is that I should send it to one of their repair shops. I live in San Jose in northern CA. He said they have repair shops in southern CA. He wrote me an e-mail recommending I send this unit to a repair center in E. Syracuse, NY. The letter said that I should contact any service center to confirm they are working and can do the repair. This unit is out of Warranty. I am interested in looking for a local (San Jose area) repair shop that can make these repairs. Does anyone have experience with any Bay Area repair shops? Is there any recommendations for any local repair shops? I will do more troubleshooting and tests when I totally disconnect this unit. As you know, there are a lot of cables connected to this unit and it is a major undertaking. I will have to label everything for reassembly. Note: My main Monitor out HDMI connection went out a long time ago. The unit was still in Warranty but I did not want go through the hassle of sending this unit to the repair shop back then for free. This unit has a secondary Monitor out HDMI connection that I hav used. It may not have the ACR feature but it still worked. Thank you! Terry in San Jose

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
...weirdly, my main HDMI flaky output is why I thought I would post - gave up on the black screens and just switched to 2nd output.

From those that may have done the repair, how awful is a replacement HDMI output board on this unit, and does the entire section need replacement?

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does anyone know the sampling rate/bit depth that is used to convert an analogue input to digital (i.e. the phono input)?
Thanks

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
...weirdly, my main HDMI flaky output is why I thought I would post - gave up on the black screens and just switched to 2nd output.

From those that may have done the repair, how awful is a replacement HDMI output board on this unit, and does the entire section need replacement?
My primary monitor out HDMI failed a long time ago. My unit was still under warranty. I decided to not have it fixed because I did not want to go through the hassle of disconnecting, packaging, shipping and reinstalling this unit. I also didn’t want the down time. I just switched to the secondary monitor out HDMI. It worked fine. I don’t believe that it has the ARC feature but I never needed it.

Now my unit is down with a failure to power up. I wonder how frequent this failure happens. I am trying to figure out what my next step will be.

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts
My primary monitor out HDMI failed a long time ago. My unit was still under warranty. I decided to not have it fixed because I did not want to go through the hassle of disconnecting, packaging, shipping and reinstalling this unit. I also didn’t want the down time. I just switched to the secondary monitor out HDMI. It worked fine. I don’t believe that it has the ARC feature but I never needed it.

Now my unit is down with a failure to power up. I wonder how frequent this failure happens. I am trying to figure out what my next step will be.
Have you tried resetting the microprocessor (p. 288 Owner's manual)?

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
Have you tried resetting the microprocessor (p. 288 Owner's manual)?
Thank you for the suggestion. I just downloaded the manual. I could not find the instructions on how to reset the microprocessor. I did find instructions on resetting to the factory settings. It did not work. Are these different procedures?

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I just downloaded the manual. I could not find the instructions on how to reset the microprocessor. I did find instructions on resetting to the factory settings. It did not work. Are these different procedures?
Same thing; however, the firmware version remains unchanged.

With nothing connected to the AVP, try doing the reset at least 5-10 times in a row. If still no joy, then lesson learned, better to have some discomfort while the unit is still under warranty. ;)

Time to start looking for a more current model noting if the AV8805 is not in your budget, the AV7705 is due to be replaced in a few months with an HDMI 2.1 model so should be going on clearance soon.

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
I will be disconnecting my Preamp tomorrow. I will be labeling all the cables. I will need to reconfigure the system with no surround sound. I wonder what my TV speakers sound like? Really the only sources that I use these days is the Xfinity Cable TV and my AppleTV. I use the Plex App that organizes and plays all my music and movies. They are stored on my file server (NAS).

I also have my Master bedroom system. It has a Marantz SR5011 running a 5.1 system with a 2 ch second zone in the bathroom.

I will try the multiple resets with nothing but the power cable connected.

I have been considering the AV7705. It fits my 9.2.4 Speaker/Amp setup. I am also shopping around to see what else is out there. I have been reading a lot of reviews. The Marantz Preamps are not getting very good reviews. I would love to be able too test drive some units in a showroom.

Thanks again!
Terry from San Jose

·
Premium Member
87,889 Posts
I will be disconnecting my Preamp tomorrow. I will be labeling all the cables. I will need to reconfigure the system with no surround sound. I wonder what my TV speakers sound like? Really the only sources that I use these days is the Xfinity Cable TV and my AppleTV. I use the Plex App that organizes and plays all my music and movies. They are stored on my file server (NAS).

I also have my Master bedroom system. It has a Marantz SR5011 running a 5.1 system with a 2 ch second zone in the bathroom.

I have been considering the AV7705. It fits my 9.2.4 Speaker/Amp setup. I am also shopping around to see what else is out there. I have been reading a lot of reviews. The Marantz Preamps are not getting very good reviews. I would love to be able too test drive some units in a showroom.

Thanks again!
Terry from San Jose

Unlike the AV8805 which is capable of a operating a 9.2.4 setup, the AV7705, like the AV8802A, is only capable of operating up to a 7.2.4 setup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Help issues with lip sync and cec power on

Having issues with lip sync issues please help. Also issues on power function talking to 8802a

HI all,

I have a samsung q90r tv and using a comcast cable box HDMI to the tv.

I am using the tv to do the switching and then arc cable to the 8802a.

Everything works fine but when the source is the cable box i have a lip sync issue..
the tv allows me to delay audio to the 8802a but the problem is it needs to be a negative delay not positive...video appears to be ahead of audio on timing...

I tried auto lip sync etc on the 8802 but again the delay needs to be negative from the tv....

If the source is the built in apps on the tv example Netflix using arc there is no lip sync issue..its only with the external cable box and tried 2 different ones...btw its xfinity

If i hook the cable box directly to 8802 and then to the tv the sync issue goes away as the 8802 leads the tv on timing..... but the problem i have then is when i turn the tv off it turns off the 8802 but when i turn it back on the 8802 does not turn back on...unless the source was the tv via arc.... that is the main problem with me using the 8802 for switching as Cec power on is not working from tv... if i use the tv for switching and the 8802 stays on tv source via arc it turns on and off perfect

Any thoughts on how to attack the problem... as one way i have delayed audio using tv as switcher (which i really like better) the other scenario is the 8802 as the switcher power on command from tv is not turning it on

Help please

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,844 Posts
Having issues with lip sync issues please help. Also issues on power function talking to 8802a

HI all,

I have a samsung q90r tv and using a comcast cable box HDMI to the tv.

I am using the tv to do the switching and then arc cable to the 8802a.

Everything works fine but when the source is the cable box i have a lip sync issue..
the tv allows me to delay audio to the 8802a but the problem is it needs to be a negative delay not positive...video appears to be ahead of audio on timing...

I tried auto lip sync etc on the 8802 but again the delay needs to be negative from the tv....

If the source is the built in apps on the tv example Netflix using arc there is no lip sync issue..its only with the external cable box and tried 2 different ones...btw its xfinity

If i hook the cable box directly to 8802 and then to the tv the sync issue goes away as the 8802 leads the tv on timing..... but the problem i have then is when i turn the tv off it turns off the 8802 but when i turn it back on the 8802 does not turn back on...unless the source was the tv via arc.... that is the main problem with me using the 8802 for switching as Cec power on is not working from tv... if i use the tv for switching and the 8802 stays on tv source via arc it turns on and off perfect

Any thoughts on how to attack the problem... as one way i have delayed audio using tv as switcher (which i really like better) the other scenario is the 8802 as the switcher power on command from tv is not turning it on

Help please
A third option would be connecting the cable box to the 8802, turning off ARC and CEC, and purchasing a smart remote like the Harmony to control powering your devices off and on.

Reactions: 65Goat

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
Unlike the AV8805 which is capable of a operating a 9.2.4 setup, the AV7705, like the AV8802A, is only capable of operating up to a 7.2.4 setup.
I misspoke, my system is a 7.2.4 configuration.
Amplifiers - Emotiva XPA-2 (2X300 W/Ch) - Emotiva XPA-5 (5X200 W/Ch) - Adcom GFP-7500 (5X150 W/Ch)
Speakers - Paradigm Reference - Fronts: 2X Studio 100 v2 (F Amp XPA-2) - Center: 1X CC450 v1 - Sides: 2X Studio 60 v1 - Rears: 2X CC450 v1 (C/S/R Amp XPA-5) - Ceilings (ATMOS): 4X Studio 20 v1 (ATMOS Amp Adcom GPF-7500) - Subwoofers: 1X Paradigm Servo 15 & 1X Velodyne 10/8

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts

Thanks again!
Terry from San Jose
I have removed my 8802A from my system. I plugged it in and pressed the factory reset Buttons several times. It still will not power up. I will be checking out repair options next.

I set up my system to play through the TV speakers. It will have to do for now.

I guess I will break out my old Denon AVR3200. I hope it still works. It is a 5.1 receiver with preouts for FL, C, FR and SW. I will need some XLR to RCA adapter cables. I could connect my 2 rear speakers using the wires from the amp. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds. There are no HDMI inputs so I will have to run the HDMI direct to the TV.

I used to have a Denon AVR5800 (7.1 receiver) but it also had a power failure. It could not be repaired at the time. The main power board was not available anymore. It would have cost $1500 for parts plus labor to fix it. That is when I bought the AV8802A.

I am also considering other Preamp options to replace the AV8802A. I would prefer not to spend too much $ right now. I want to retire in 3 to 8 years. At that time I will see if I can upgrade and build a dedicated home theater when I move.

So far, I am considering the Marantz AV7705, Monoprice HTP-1, Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XMC-2, Onkyo PR-RZ5100 or a Lexicon MC-10. I would like to hear everyone’s recommendations and comments. Let me know what other Preamps are out there for <$4000 that will run my 7.2.4 system. I might soon be on a different thread soon.

Thank you,
Terry from San Jose

15541 - 15560 of 15645 Posts