AVS Forum banner

15681 - 15700 of 15739 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Scratch that.

The reset fixed that for all of 10 minutes. Then the pops popped back again. :(

I finally figured out that the pops were caused by passing Dolby Vision through the 8802A. I read that it was a similar issue with a Denon of the same vintage.

So it looks like there is an issue with the 8802A and passing through Dolby Vision. I was using the 8802A with my projector and that didn’t have Dolby Vision before. But now I’m using the Vertex 2 to trick the sources like AppleTV to output in low latency Dolby Vision.

Has no one else encountered this before?

I turned off Dolby Vision and the pops have disappeared.
Dolby Vision works fine for me to LG C7 through the 8802A. Never had any pops ever with mine, so something is very wrong.

Reactions: alebonau

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Dolby Vision works fine for me to LG C7 through the 8802A. Never had any pops ever with mine, so something is very wrong.
C7 isn’t using LLDV.

I’m using Amazon Basics HDMI cable. Could that be a limitation? They are rated for 18Gbs.

Might go try a Kordz cable next.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I’m using Amazon Basics HDMI cable. Could that be a limitation? They are rated for 18Gbs.

Might go try a Kordz cable next.
hi woof woof, it sounds very much like a hdfury thing as kind of instability i have seen with hdmi can introduce. however ....the amazon basics is not a premium certified hdmi cable so leaves some uncertainty.... the VERY low cost of mono price premium certified... means really no reason not to use them. We in oz (if have prime membership) get free shipping for over $50 purchases.... can bundle a cable in with something else.... they are really well made high quality cables, I see no reason to spend more on anything else if looking for peace of mind

only like a $10 item for 6ft cable

all way upto 60ft and still only $63

can buy kordz if want but its not premium certified...

if looking for local aussie options, even jbhifi has the gtek premium certified at only $24 !

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Is ALLM the same as LLDV. Are we confusing two different terminology as the same ?
hi rocky allm is auto low latency mode... this is not LLDV

LLDV is where source is forced to do DV tone mapping. this is for displays not capable of DV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I now that Dolby Vision and ALLM were both added via a firmware update in 2018, but recently if found out that HDR10+ did not work on the AV8802a L.

I contacted Marantz and they told it should work from the beginning, but after delivering proof it didn’t they suddenly told that is not possible is too ad Dynamic HDR tot the 8802a because the HDMI 2.0a board.

Strange because DV is also Dynamic HDR…

I live in The Netherlands and the person at the Marantz Helpdesk is not capable to answer anything other than what’s in de Q&A database.

Anyone who can help?

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
I now that Dolby Vision and ALLM were both added via a firmware update in 2018, but recently if found out that HDR10+ did not work on the AV8802a L.

I contacted Marantz and they told it should work from the beginning, but after delivering proof it didn’t they suddenly told that is not possible is too ad Dynamic HDR tot the 8802a because the HDMI 2.0a board.

Strange because DV is also Dynamic HDR…

I live in The Netherlands and the person at the Marantz Helpdesk is not capable to answer anything other than what’s in de Q&A database.

Anyone who can help?
HDR 10+ only added to the current 2020 models and with the "A" upgrade to the AV8805.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There is apparently a new firmware update on my 8802A. It says Auro3D (for European only).

I’m in Australia. So not sure what that’s supposed to do.

It’s connecting to update now. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
There is apparently a new firmware update on my 8802A. It says Auro3D (for European only).

I’m in Australia. So not sure what that’s supposed to do.

It’s connecting to update now. Fingers crossed.
no update for me and am in Au,

but I had to pay for that back in the day on the marantz 8802.... it was a paid downloadable update and had to be cleared by D&M back in that time in the EU region...when the A update came it didnt automatically carry through and had to be engaged on my units mac address....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know, but what I don't understand is that Marantz refuses to upgrade the firmware of the 8802a to HDR10+.
It has the same 2.0a HDMI as het Oppo 203 and Oppo did the HDR10+ upgrade to output HDR10+, Dolby Vision and HGL...

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,059 Posts
The older a processor gets, the less likely that it will receive the engineering effort to update the firmware. Some vendors, like Oppo, have done a better job than others. While this sucks for current owners, it is a fact.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I know, but what I don't understand is that Marantz refuses to upgrade the firmware of the 8802a to HDR10+.
It has the same 2.0a HDMI as het Oppo 203 and Oppo did the HDR10+ upgrade to output HDR10+, Dolby Vision and HGL...
A manufacturer is only going to support an old product for so long. By the time HDR10+ actually existed, the Marantz AV8805 had already been released, so they added HDR10+ support to the 8805. Five years after release the 8802A is still a very capable and high performing processor. HDR10+ is one of the few new features it doesn't support. And the impact to most users is slim to none. It's pretty tough to sell new products if manufacturers continuously add new features to old products.

Unfortunately Oppo is no more. They knew they were exiting the business and not releasing anything beyond the 203/205 so they added HDR10+ to that product line with the last firmware update.

Honestly one of the primary reasons HDR10+ even exists is because Samsung doesn't want to pay Dolby licensing fees for Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision has far more support across the industry, not just in hardware but software as well. Perhaps the better question is why Samsung doesn't add Dolby Vision support.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I remember that in some of the model years xx11/12/13 and the equivalent Denons, Marantz didn’t even change the hardware between the models. It was just a number change. It allowed them to segregate feature updates - like not having IMAX Immersion mode on a previous year model.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I offer a different point of reference. I always believed sub response would be optimized if all subs were properly time aligned and polarity-matched. However, during a lengthy analysis using REW measurements, I found that in some cases time aligning the subs did not produce the smoothest bass response. Same goes for matching polarity.
Thanks Jerry, I have indeed read your write-up, and concur that blindly aligning polarity and delay is not enough.
I actually use a combination of group delay and FR / waterfall metrics in REW to determine alignment.
In the end, using sharp percussive sounds (in the 60 to 90Hz range) to confirm the timing.
In my case, I have one IB sub front-center, one huge sealed sub rear-center and two nearfield Mid-Bass Modules, and getting the MBMs delay just right took over an hour of tweaking while reviewing metrics in REW.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,059 Posts
Thanks Jerry, I have indeed read your write-up, and concur that blindly aligning polarity and delay is not enough.
I actually use a combination of group delay and FR / waterfall metrics in REW to determine alignment.
In the end, using sharp percussive sounds (in the 60 to 90Hz range) to confirm the timing.
In my case, I have one IB sub front-center, one huge sealed sub rear-center and two nearfield Mid-Bass Modules, and getting the MBMs delay just right took over an hour of tweaking while reviewing metrics in REW.
Indeed, every setup is unique and has its challenges in getting everything dialed in properly. My point, on which you seem to agree, is rely on measurements, and to not accept preconceived notions about what should be best.

15681 - 15700 of 15739 Posts