AVS Forum banner

15701 - 15720 of 15739 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,059 Posts
I have recently become interested in how to configure an analog-only path through the 8802a. After a number of searches and reading quite a few posts, I believe this to be correct:

• Only the analog audio in RCA jacks provide for an analog-only signal path. The Balanced XLR inputs subject the signal to an A-D-A conversion.
  • Only Direct and Pure Direct signal modes ensure the signal remains analog only.
  • Direct and Pure Direct automatically set all speakers to "Large", passing a full-range signal with no bass management.
  • On the output side, the power amp must be connected to the analog RCA out connectors.

Please correct me if I am wrong. If configured as described above, a friend told me that low frequencies can be routed to the subwoofer by selecting LFE+Main. I don't see how that would work, first of all because a stereo input signal has no LFE channel, and second because there is no bass management in Direct mode. How can my friend be having a signal on his subs?

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts
I have recently become interested in how to configure an analog-only path through the 8802a. After a number of searches and reading quite a few posts, I believe this to be correct:

• Only the analog audio in RCA jacks provide for an analog-only signal path. The Balanced XLR inputs subject the signal to an A-D-A conversion.
  • Only Direct and Pure Direct signal modes ensure the signal remains analog only.
  • Direct and Pure Direct automatically set all speakers to "Large", passing a full-range signal with no bass management.
  • On the output side, the power amp must be connected to the analog RCA out connectors.
Please correct me if I am wrong. If configured as described above, a friend told me that low frequencies can be routed to the subwoofer by selecting LFE+Main. I don't see how that would work, first of all because a stereo input signal has no LFE channel, and second because there is no bass management in Direct mode. How can my friend be having a signal on his subs?

AFAIK, both RCA and XLR pass through ADA.

Not routed "just" to the sub but also passed to the sub as well as the Front L/R speakers.

The Sub = LFE + MAIN setting when used with the DIRECT/PURE DIRECT sound modes on a 2.0 signal will duplicate those frequencies below the crossover of the Front L/R speakers and pass them to the sub (aka "double bass") such that the sub and Front L/R are playing the same lower frequencies.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,059 Posts

Not routed "just" to the sub but also passed to the sub as well as the Front L/R speakers.

The Sub = LFE + MAIN setting when used with the DIRECT/PURE DIRECT sound modes on a 2.0 signal will duplicate those frequencies below the crossover of the Front L/R speakers and pass them to the sub (aka "double bass") such that the sub and Front L/R are playing the same lower frequencies.
Thank you for your response. Has your understanding of the XLR inputs changed since this post of yours?

Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread

As for the LFE+Main setting, it sounds like setting an LPF on the subs would be advised. While there is a negative connotation to the "double bass" setting, in this case it is not applicable because the stereo input signal has no LFE component. But the important take-away is that one can retain using the subs in an analog-only configuration.

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts
Thank you for your response. Has your understanding of the XLR inputs changed since this post of yours?

Marantz AV8805 15.2 XLR Pre/Pro Official Thread

As for the LFE+Main setting, it sounds like setting an LPF on the subs would be advised. While there is a negative connotation to the "double bass" setting, in this case it is not applicable because the stereo input signal has no LFE component. But the important take-away is that one can retain using the subs in an analog-only configuration.
1. Nope.

That post refers to the "multi-analog" inputs not the stereo RCA inputs whereas my above response was to the stereo RCA inputs.

2. "Double bass" still applies here regardless of no LFE signal as I indicated.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,059 Posts
1. Nope.

That post refers to the "multi-analog" inputs not the stereo RCA inputs whereas my above response was to the stereo RCA inputs.

2. "Double bass" still applies here regardless of no LFE signal as I indicated.
OK, sorry to be so dense, but I would like to get this right. The 8802a has 1) Stereo RCA inputs for various source, e.g. CD, 2) 7.1 RCA inputs to connect devices that have analog 7.1 outputs, e.g. Oppo disk players, and finally two XLR input connectors.

IIUC, the Stereo RCA inputs do not preserve the analog-only signal. The 7.1 RCA inputs do preserve the analog-only signal (in Direct mode). But your original post stated "RCA/XLR inputs using Pure Direct still pass signal through the ADC/DAC. Use the RCA multi analog inputs." This seems to imply that the stereo XLR inputs do not preserve the analog-only signal path. Otherwise, I think you should have said "Use the RCA multi analog inputs or the stereo XLR inputs" Can you please clarify?

And I know the difference is symantec, but "Double" implies two distinct signals, and since there is no LFE signal in a stereo input, the resulting signal to the subs is the same signal as is being sent to the main speakers, which I claim is "Single".

Thanks again for your reply.

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts
OK, sorry to be so dense, but I would like to get this right. The 8802a has 1) Stereo RCA inputs for various source, e.g. CD, 2) 7.1 RCA inputs to connect devices that have analog 7.1 outputs, e.g. Oppo disk players, and finally two XLR input connectors.

IIUC, the Stereo RCA inputs do not preserve the analog-only signal. The 7.1 RCA inputs do preserve the analog-only signal (in Direct mode). But your original post stated "RCA/XLR inputs using Pure Direct still pass signal through the ADC/DAC. Use the RCA multi analog inputs." This seems to imply that the stereo XLR inputs do not preserve the analog-only signal path. Otherwise, I think you should have said "Use the RCA multi analog inputs or the stereo XLR inputs" Can you please clarify?

And I know the difference is symantec, but "Double" implies two distinct signals, and since there is no LFE signal in a stereo input, the resulting signal to the subs is the same signal as is being sent to the main speakers, which I claim is "Single".

Thanks again for your reply.
1. Correct. When using the 7.1 analog inputs, a surround mode cannot be selected, however the analog-only signal path is preserved. As I said, AFAIK, the stereo analog (RCA and XLR) inputs DO NOT preserve the analog-only signal so the way I posted is correct.

2. "Double" is defined as "consisting of two equal, identical, or similar parts or things" and therefore is the correct term to use indicating the lower frequencies passed to the Front L/R are duplicated and also passed to the sub.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,059 Posts
1. Correct. When using the 7.1 analog inputs, a surround mode cannot be selected, however the analog-only signal path is preserved. As I said, AFAIK, the stereo analog (RCA and XLR) inputs DO NOT preserve the analog-only signal so the way I posted is correct.

2. "Double" is defined as "consisting of two equal, identical, or similar parts or things" and therefore is the correct term to use indicating the lower frequencies passed to the Front L/R are duplicated and also passed to the sub.
Thanks for being patient with me--all clear now.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I think I might have found a different reason for the popping sound.

When I was doing the tests and the popping stopped while I was using different cables, it was when my wife wasn’t at home. So it was only one 4K stream off the internet at that time.

I realized that all these popping happened again when she was streaming on a second AppleTV 4K. I did read that some experienced the same problem when they found network issues.

She is on wired and mine is on wireless but I’m not sure why the bandwidth is an issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try first doing a soft reset by simply putting the AVP into standby mode and unplugging the power cable for 10 minutes.

If no joy, then refer to "Resetting Factory Settings" in your Owner's manual.
Despite doing both the soft and Factory Reset my 8802 still randomly shuts off and on, even with nothing plugged into it. Looks like I need to send it in. Any recommendations which service center?

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,059 Posts
Despite doing both the soft and Factory Reset my 8802 still randomly shuts off and on, even with nothing plugged into it. Looks like I need to send it in. Any recommendations which service center?
Just curious, did you try disconnecting devices attached using HDMI and observing whether the power off and on events continue occurring? This would confirm that it is the 8802a at fault, and not a connected device.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious, did you try disconnecting devices attached using HDMI and observing whether the power off and on events continue occurring? This would confirm that it is the 8802a at fault, and not a connected device.
I did not though it did power off/on repeatedly with nothing attached to it other than a power cable so I didn't think the cause could be a HDMI connection.

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts
Prior to the pandemic slowing repair work, the quickest turn around time has generally been experienced by shipping to the factory repair facility, United Radio, Syracuse, NY. Call them for current estimated turn around times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went to use the system last night and the AV8802A is dead. The standby light on the power button doesn't even light up. I went through all the usual checks and nothing works. There is a fuse on the inside near the IEC socket but that is fine. I'm about 90% certain that it needs a new power input board which I am fully able to repair myself, but trying to locate, find, and sell me the part has been a nightmare.
I know that I could send it out to United Radio and they would be able to handle it, but who wants to go through that hassle and cost if one doesn't have to.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Prior to the pandemic slowing repair work, the quickest turn around time has generally been experienced by shipping to the factory repair facility, United Radio, Syracuse, NY. Call them for current estimated turn around times.
Quick question: Does the front panel HDMI port have any less capability then the other 7 on the back panel?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Quick question: Does the front panel HDMI port have any less capability then the other 7 on the back panel?
No it doesn't. It may even have less features/options. It's more for convenience using a MP3, iPad, etc.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Yes. It cannot pass a 4k/60Hz signal (p. 302 Owner's manual).
Thanks, thats what I thought. I remember a while ago running into problems with a Roku not able to pass 60hz video. I just couldn't find it in the manual.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

JD,
Does this ADA conversion hold true for RCA or XLR analog inputs even when specifying just Front L/R speakers with no subwoofer ? I'm thinking of adding a DAC just for stereo music and would like to ensure a pure analog.

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts
JD,
Does this ADA conversion hold true for RCA or XLR analog inputs even when specifying just Front L/R speakers with no subwoofer ? I'm thinking of adding a DAC just for stereo music and would like to ensure a pure analog.
AFAIK, yes.

As previously noted, use either DIRECT or PURE DIRECT or connect the source to the multi analog inputs for Front L/R.

15701 - 15720 of 15739 Posts