AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to ordering a new processor.

What I'm looking for is SQ. I know the Marantz has more bells and whistles and ofcourse the 3D sound formats. NAD is still working on an Atmos MDC module so....I guess in a few months it will also be possible to get Dolby Atmos from the NAD.

Other thing is the price. Here in Europe the price of the NAD is double then the price of the Marantz!!

Does anybody had the chance to hear these 2 processors?

Any advice is welcome.....

·
Registered
48 Posts

What I'm looking for is SQ. I know the Marantz has more bells and whistles and ofcourse the 3D sound formats. NAD is still working on an Atmos MDC module so....I guess in a few months it will also be possible to get Dolby Atmos from the NAD.

Other thing is the price. Here in Europe the price of the NAD is double then the price of the Marantz!!

Theres a thread on AVFORUMS sorry if I'm not meant to post a link, the guy is really impressed with it sound quality wise but sounds like he's having a few teething issues with it
https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-ken-kreisel-speakers-thread.1156589/page-100

·
Registered
940 Posts

As you may have read on the dedicated M17 & M27 thread I hope to get an AV8802 on loan to listen to. If that happens I will post my impressions there. What I can say though for certain is the performance of the M17 belong in a distinguished league (similar sonics as Krell Foundation processor).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you get the Marantz to do the comparison.

We must not forget that the Marantz is 3000€ in Belgium and the NAD is 6000€. Maybe in some other countries the difference is not
as big as here in Belgium.

It also depends if you really want immersive audio or you if you want to go more for SQ.

·
Registered
940 Posts
^ Hope so too. Don't know when though. The dealer I have for this have already lend me so much I feel like giving him a breather :D lol

Yeah there is a big price-difference (among other things - one being the Marantz is a feature-driven unit, where NAD focus on high end components and best possible sonic delivery). The NAD M17 is just under 5000€ here in Sweden actually. The sole dealer for NAD have great prices in Scandinavia compared to other regions. Don't know why that is but I'm not complaining lol. For the record I won't test immersive audio in the AV8802, 5.1 only.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I actually bought the Marantz 8802 and will pick it up tomorrow, however I wont be able to do a 1:1 comparison as I had to bring the M17 back to the dealer already.

Decided to get the Marantz for Movies and will most likely invest the remaining money on a good Stereo Preamp instead.

The NAD is a great unit, however for the price (6k in Germany as well, while the Marantz sells for 3300) I am not willing to live with some bugs/features it has (just my 2 cents).

Next step for me is most likely a MiniDSP 88A for Dirac room correction anyway. My initial thought process was that the usage of the MiniDSP will render whatever high quality DAC the Marantz/NAD have build in useless, but the benefits of the Dirac should easily outweight this.

Hence I decided to spend my money on the budget friendlier Marantz. ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you can share your impressions of the Marantz!

And even if its not a 1:1 comparison, that you can also tell
some differences with the M17, soundwise.

I'm also leaning towards the Marantz as I want to have Atmos
in my dedicated theater.

There is also to much uncertainty about the M17 and Dolby Atmos.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually bought the Marantz 8802 and will pick it up tomorrow, however I wont be able to do a 1:1 comparison as I had to bring the M17 back to the dealer already.

Decided to get the Marantz for Movies and will most likely invest the remaining money on a good Stereo Preamp instead.

The NAD is a great unit, however for the price (6k in Germany as well, while the Marantz sells for 3300) I am not willing to live with some bugs/features it has (just my 2 cents).

Next step for me is most likely a MiniDSP 88A for Dirac room correction anyway. My initial thought process was that the usage of the MiniDSP will render whatever high quality DAC the Marantz/NAD have build in useless, but the benefits of the Dirac should easily outweight this.

Hence I decided to spend my money on the budget friendlier Marantz. ;)
Hi REM Germany,

Can you give us some impressions?

I'm interested in the differences in sound between the Marantz and the NAD.

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi REM Germany,

Can you give us some impressions?

I'm interested in the differences in sound between the Marantz and the NAD.

Thanks
Hi,

As said I was not able to do a 1:1 comparison and I still havent found the time to tweak the Marantz completely. I didnt like what Audyssey did with the sound in my room as it was "eating up details" with the standard settings.

There is a lot more room to tweak though and I actually got the MiniDSP here as well, just waiting for the activation of my Dirac license. :)

Out of the box without any room EQ applied I was surprised how good the Marantz sounds with 2 channel music. With movies I am pretty happy as well, it could be that the NAD is a bit more revealing on the tiny details, but a comparison is really hard as there was a good week between both units so I cant do a A to B comparison.

There is definitely no "lifting the veil" like difference between the Marantz and the NAD. Both are great processors and if the small upgrade in SQ is worth a 3k price upgrade is something only you can decide.

I personally took the cheaper Marantz, got me the MiniDSP and will invest in a new Sub as well from the money I saved.

Overall the combination of all three upgrades will most likely Be a bigger upgrade for me than taking the NAD over the Marantz.

But thats just my two cents... :)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Here in the U.S. I believe the price difference is only 1k.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The other option is to let the german CINEMIKE do an upgrade on your AV8802........it's only 6000€ :eek:
I was recently checking out the Cinemike Website to see if they already offer something for the AV8802. When I noticed the price I almost fell off my chair. :p

Got to admit though that I never had the chance to listen to one of the upgraded units,they are supposed to be pretty good. And I can imagine there is a lot to tweak on the Marantz seeing that it is a mass market product.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was recently checking out the Cinemike Website to see if they already offer something for the AV8802. When I noticed the price I almost fell off my chair. :p

Got to admit though that I never had the chance to listen to one of the upgraded units,they are supposed to be pretty good. And I can imagine there is a lot to tweak on the Marantz seeing that it is a mass market product.

I know, but the price is a bit over the top He also has an upgrade on the 8801 wich was still reasonable but 6000€ for the tuning only on the 8802!!!???

So that means you pay almost 10k. For that price you have a big choice in processors, including Datasat, Krell.......

·
Registered
129 Posts
CineMike

:) IMO : Look at it in a different way: the performance you'll get back in return. The development of the modification takes a lot of time and hard work. Hundreds of parts are being replaced.

The CineMike Marantz AV 8802 is the new top model of CineMike, much cheaper than the modified Denon AVP-A1HD which was the previous top model of the company. In the price range of €20.000+ i haven´t heard a better processor, and a lot of others share the same experiences.

I know, but the price is a bit over the top He also has an upgrade on the 8801 wich was still reasonable but 6000€ for the tuning only on the 8802!!!???

So that means you pay almost 10k. For that price you have a big choice in processors, including Datasat, Krell.......

·
Registered
7.2.4 Hybrid Height Theater and 2-ch Music Man Cave. My place of peace and bliss!
358 Posts
Any additional thought/feedback on the AV8802?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.