AVS Forum banner

3401 - 3420 of 5539 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I’m using HDMI control as it is handy that we can use any of the original component controls. One strange behavior is that I’m finding that if I’m just playing music (via an optical or analog connection - with the TV off), the unit will play fine, but eventually will switch to my DISH network source which if off, but since it is a DVR, it really is always on. Any workaround for this? Not sure what is triggering the unit to switch, but assume it is HDMI control? Thanks. SJ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ethernet splitters are flaky. Get rid of it and see if the 8805 works. You may have to reset the Ethernet.
If it works, then you know it may have been the splitter. Invest in a 5 port switch instead.
Am I the only one confused by the term 'ethernet splitter' since there's no such thing.

We used to have just 'hubs' and now we have just 'switches' (for gigabit ethernet). I could explain the difference but won't bore everyone here. In any case, both of these are designed to pass multiple simultaneous independent data streams and neither could be called flaky. Without them - no Internet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Am I the only one confused by the term 'ethernet splitter' since there's no such thing.

We used to have just 'hubs' and now we have just 'switches' (for gigabit ethernet). I could explain the difference but won't bore everyone here. In any case, both of these are designed to pass multiple simultaneous independent data streams and neither could be called flaky. Without them - no Internet.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=https://eastmanreference.com/the-difference-between-an-ethernet-splitter-a-switch-and-a-hub

·
Registered
115 Posts
I confess I have not waded through all 100+ pages of this thread. I started, but then realised how many pages there are and that I'd never get through all of them. So if this question has already been asked, I do apologise.

Currently, the AV8805 has 15 output channels, but only 13 'processed' channels internally. What's stopping them from having 15 internal processed channels?

Surely that's just software? It has the hardware for the data input (HDMI) and the 15 channel output so surely the number of independent channels it can handle/process internally has to be just down to software. Or is there specific hardware required for each channel that isn't catered for with the existing 15 channel outputs?

Obviously, I want a 15.x channel processor as I think 9.2.6 is the optimum layout (I just don't think I'd be allowed to add any more speakers :) ), but I'd want 15 discreet channels without any internal 'fudging' (such as the current 8805 does) and for it to not cost the earth.

So, is it feasible that Marantz could 'upgrade' the 8805 to full-time 15 channel processor with just a software update?

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,684 Posts
I confess I have not waded through all 100+ pages of this thread. I started, but then realised how many pages there are and that I'd never get through all of them. So if this question has already been asked, I do apologise.

Currently, the AV8805 has 15 output channels, but only 13 'processed' channels internally. What's stopping them from having 15 internal processed channels?

Surely that's just software? It has the hardware for the data input (HDMI) and the 15 channel output so surely the number of independent channels it can handle/process internally has to be just down to software. Or is there specific hardware required for each channel that isn't catered for with the existing 15 channel outputs?

Obviously, I want a 15.x channel processor as I think 9.2.6 is the optimum layout (I just don't think I'd be allowed to add any more speakers :) ), but I'd want 15 discreet channels without any internal 'fudging' (such as the current 8805 does) and for it to not cost the earth.

So, is it feasible that Marantz could 'upgrade' the 8805 to full-time 15 channel processor with just a software update?
There's only enough processing power, and presumably enough DAC channels to process 13 channels at a time. The output can be routed to the desired 13 outputs at any given time, but the 13 channel limit is definitely a hardware limit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I repeat, there’s no such thing as an Ethernet Splitter.

The example shown is a UTP splitter. That just uses the fact that 10 and 100baset only use 2 pairs which allows a single 4 pair cable to carry more than one connection. This might allow 2 Ethernet connections, or as we used to do in structured cabling installations, 1 x Ethernet and 1 x telephone. But that does NOT split the Ethernet network connection which is simply not possible. In any case, you can’t do it with Gigabit Ethernet as that uses all 4 pairs.

I say again, there’s no such thing as an Ethernet Splitter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There's only enough processing power, and presumably enough DAC channels to process 13 channels at a time. The output can be routed to the desired 13 outputs at any given time, but the 13 channel limit is definitely a hardware limit.
Ok, thanks. Guess we just have to wait for an upgraded model with 15 channel processing hardware.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Now that’s a great question!
I’ve never seen one used. And never would consider it over a switch.
Splitting a UTP cable to carry 2 connections can be very useful although as I said no longer possible with Gigabit, but in any case it is a completely different function than a hub or switch. It’s simply not doing the same thing at all.

·
Registered
470 Posts
So I finally got my 8805 hooked up with four Atmos speakers -- I popped in Game of Thrones on Blu-ray, which is advertised as having an Atmos soundtrack. It ran the Atmos demo when the disc first loaded, and the display on the Marantz said "Dolby Atmos". However, when the first episode played, the display then showed "Dolby D + Dolby Surround". There does not appear to be a way for me to select Atmos -- am I doing something incorrectly? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
385 Posts
So I finally got my 8805 hooked up with four Atmos speakers -- I popped in Game of Thrones on Blu-ray, which is advertised as having an Atmos soundtrack. It ran the Atmos demo when the disc first loaded, and the display on the Marantz said "Dolby Atmos". However, when the first episode played, the display then showed "Dolby D + Dolby Surround". There does not appear to be a way for me to select Atmos -- am I doing something incorrectly? Thanks in advance.
To get ready for April 14th, we just re-watched seasons 1 through 7 on Blu-ray. Although my current system is not Atmos capable, I discovered the default soundtrack on some Blu-ray GOT series discs is DD+. Atmos has to be selected from the Blu-ray disc audio menu. With my system, selecting Atmos resulted in Dolby TrueHD 7.1.
That's as good as it gets for my system.

Curiously, when I first purchased the GOT seasons 1-4 package on Blu-ray, the highest fidelity audio on that release was DTS HD Master, not Dolby. Don't recall if it was 5.1 or 7.1.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

You have to select the Atmos track on the GOT discs either from the menu before you start the episode or changing the audio track while playing which will depend on your player

The Atmos audio sounds pretty good on those discs and obviously better with the recent seasons

Atmos isn’t always the default track for movies either so always good idea to confirm what is playing which I do from the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is it worth it to include front wides I'm currently using surround backs and i do like what they add and it seems most surround uses surround backs.
should I just add front wides and still keep the back speakers I hate to lose them. I did hooked up front wides+ surround backs and they didn't make much noise even when i disabled back speakers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have not done that yet. I know when I have played stuff from HEOS in the past, it doesn’t sound that great to me compared to when I had my Parasound Halo Integrated connected in the chain. I am going back to that over the weekend so that I can listen to all of the hires streaming services in all of their glory. The Integrated has theater bypass which allows me to pass the 2 channel speakers and amplifier straight through to the Marantz when watching DirecTV or Blu-ray’s through my OPPO or Pioneer Elite 4K player. By reconnecting the Parasound, I will run the Bluesound Node2i straight in to the Parasound via optical and analog so I can compare the DAC in the Bluesound and the DAC in the Parasound and listen to music from the Parasound connected to my L and R main speakers. I have BG Radia planar magnetic towers that sound awesome with the right equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I decided to pickup a Meridian 218 from a local dealer. Very understated and undermarketed device, geared towards custom installers. Has their well regard proprietary dac with full MQA decoding. Super simple installation, plugged it in, added to roon and connected it ito the analogue bypass on the 8805. Playing Tidal, comparing to HEOS, the 218 completely changed the sound dynamics added clarity and resolution with super smooth highs and accurate bass. This is on HiFi, on MQA even better. The HEOS is a tad bass heavy and instruments like violin and piano sound more realistic and crisper with the 218.

Highly recommended, this little device punches way over its price point and pairs well with 8805.

·
Registered
470 Posts
To get ready for April 14th, we just re-watched seasons 1 through 7 on Blu-ray. Although my current system is not Atmos capable, I discovered the default soundtrack on some Blu-ray GOT series discs is DD+. Atmos has to be selected from the Blu-ray disc audio menu. With my system, selecting Atmos resulted in Dolby TrueHD 7.1.
That's as good as it gets for my system.

Curiously, when I first purchased the GOT seasons 1-4 package on Blu-ray, the highest fidelity audio on that release was DTS HD Master, not Dolby. Don't recall if it was 5.1 or 7.1.
You have to select the Atmos track on the GOT discs either from the menu before you start the episode or changing the audio track while playing which will depend on your player

The Atmos audio sounds pretty good on those discs and obviously better with the recent seasons

Atmos isn’t always the default track for movies either so always good idea to confirm what is playing which I do from the app
Thanks to both of you! I watched two episodes of season 3 last night, and it sounded great!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Connecting two monitors

Until now I have used a 1080p projector on monitor one and a small 1080p TV as a secondary monitor for occasional use on, for example, Blu-ray Audio menus. I tried an old non-HD TV today and discovered that the Marantz reset both to the lower resolution. It was easy enough to get it all back where I wanted it, but it triggers a question: can I connect two monitors which are different resolutions and set each independently to its own resolution?

Dave

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Until now I have used a 1080p projector on monitor one and a small 1080p TV as a secondary monitor for occasional use on, for example, Blu-ray Audio menus. I tried an old non-HD TV today and discovered that the Marantz reset both to the lower resolution. It was easy enough to get it all back where I wanted it, but it triggers a question: can I connect two monitors which are different resolutions and set each independently to its own resolution?
Short answer: NO

Long answer:

HDMI by nature requires a "handshake" between all the components in the chain, where they each report their individual capabilities. When you have the source split to two different "sinks" (endpoints), then the source is going to see the capabilities of both sinks. If one of the sinks reports "I can't accept a 1080p input signal" then the source isn't going to send it, regardless of the capabilities of the other sink. Nothing to do with the Marantz, this will happen with ANY setup with an HDMI splitter/matrix output trying to send the same source to two different sinks with non-identical capabilities.

The exact same thing happens on the audio side -- if you split an HDMI source with one sink being an AVR that can accept multichannel bitstream audio, and the other being a TV that can only accept stereo signals, then guess what? The source is going to send stereo, even though the AVR can decode multich bitstreams.

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
235 Posts
Short answer: NO

Long answer:

HDMI by nature requires a "handshake" between all the components in the chain, where they each report their individual capabilities. When you have the source split to two different "sinks" (endpoints), then the source is going to see the capabilities of both sinks. If one of the sinks reports "I can't accept a 1080p input signal" then the source isn't going to send it, regardless of the capabilities of the other sink. Nothing to do with the Marantz, this will happen with ANY setup with an HDMI splitter/matrix output trying to send the same source to two different sinks with non-identical capabilities.

The exact same thing happens on the audio side -- if you split an HDMI source with one sink being an AVR that can accept multichannel bitstream audio, and the other being a TV that can only accept stereo signals, then guess what? The source is going to send stereo, even though the AVR can decode multich bitstreams.
Rather what I thought. That also means that once I get a 4K projector, I shall have to use a 4K small monitor too. That is useful. Thanks.

Dave

·
Premium Member
88,042 Posts

Dave
The only way it would work via the AVP is if you connected one of the monitors to the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output and passed a different source than what is selected for the main zone. Note, however, this is simply a pass through (ie. no video processing), so whatever the source is passing is what will be passed to the Zone 2 monitor. Another option would be using either the 2016 Marantz Remote app or a laptop/tablet using the Web Control feature.

3401 - 3420 of 5539 Posts