AVS Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 5532 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,681 Posts
Another option is to install something like a HDFury Vertex between the Marantz and the 1080P display, which can be used to scale 4K to 1080P, but it might make more financial sense to just replace the 4K display.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi, I’m interested in this processor and have a couple of questions.
I read through the manual but am slightly unclear- if you have a Dolby 5.1 source in can the processor upmix this to Dolby Atmos (called Dolby surround?)or DTS virtual X? It seems to suggest that you can upmix a 5.1 DTS track to DTS Virtual x / neural x.
I have a 7.1.4 set up and would like to utilise all the speakers.
Also how does everyone find Audyssey RC?
I understand the new app has more flexibility and is better.
Has anyone compared it with DIRAC in their rooms?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
87,984 Posts
Hi, I’m interested in this processor and have a couple of questions.
I read through the manual but am slightly unclear- if you have a Dolby 5.1 source in can the processor upmix this to Dolby Atmos (called Dolby surround?)or DTS virtual X? It seems to suggest that you can upmix a 5.1 DTS track to DTS Virtual x / neural x.
I have a 7.1.4 set up and would like to utilise all the speakers.
Also how does everyone find Audyssey RC?
I understand the new app has more flexibility and is better.
Has anyone compared it with DIRAC in their rooms?
Thanks
Atmos and DTS:X are audio codecs which will pass audio to the overhead speakers when the mixer has designed it as such.

Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X are simulators which can take a 2.0/5.1/7.1 signal and simulate audio to the overhead speakers.

DTS Virtual:X is a simulator which simulates height/surround from DTS and PCM audio only when no Height/Top/Dolby speakers are configured so does not apply for your current setup.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello guys, i just upgraded to a AV8805 from my venerable AV8003.

I have a couple of questions.

So by default when receiving a DTS-HD signal the receiver uses DTS Neural:X mode, i have a 5.2 setup, should i turn it off and just use DTS HD MA, or leave it as it is? Will this mode take better advantage of my setup, can it for example mix a 7 channel stream into my 5 real speakers?
it's also using Dolby Surround when receiveing Dolby TrueHD.

Also my sources are a Sony BDP5000-ES and a Dune Smart D1, now when i put them into HDMI 12 bit mode, in information the 8805 shows video as ->12 bit -> 8 Bit to a Sony VPL-HW55ES projector, should it not leave 12 bit to pass through? could i have a problem in my chain that i never took notice?
The 8805 is configured as default to activate both monitor 1 and 2 outputs (Auto DUAL) where i have a turned off tv, could this be the problem?

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
I ran an Audyssey calibration today and I have a five channel balanced amplifier that I’m using with the 8805 and all the speakers and amplifier the game was set to -12 in the Marantz and when I checked them with my RadioShack sound meter they’re 80-81 dB.

Do I adjust the levels of the rest of the speakers to match those? Use signal attenuators on the XLR cables? There are no controls on the amplifier.

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
81 Posts
Which sounds better to you?
i installed it this afternoon in a hurry, i barely saw 2 movies this weekend with it (no playing during week days i'm afraid) so i can't really say have to test it out more.

i heard really impressive surround with it on some action movie scenes, sounf movement seems to be much improved from my av8003 and that sounded to my really good anyway, so it might be from the new algorithm.

what movie scenes do you guys recomend to test this out? i like Mad Max Fury road for example it gives the system a good beating.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i installed it this afternoon in a hurry, i barely saw 2 movies this weekend with it (no playing during week days i'm afraid) so i can't really say have to test it out more.

i heard really impressive surround with it on some action movie scenes, sounf movement seems to be much improved from my av8003 and that sounded to my really good anyway, so it might be from the new algorithm.

what movie scenes do you guys recomend to test this out? i like Mad Max Fury road for example it gives the system a good beating.
can we edit posts?

aniway i meant i installed it this saturday afternoon, sorry

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
If you're listening to a movie with a DTS 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack (not DTS:X), can you hear the difference between DTS-HD MA decoding vs Neural:X processing when you switch back and forth? Or is the difference not easily audible?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I ran an Audyssey calibration today and I have a five channel balanced amplifier that I’m using with the 8805 and all the speakers and amplifier the game was set to -12 in the Marantz and when I checked them with my RadioShack sound meter they’re 80-81 dB.

Do I adjust the levels of the rest of the speakers to match those? Use signal attenuators on the XLR cables? There are no controls on the amplifier.

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

If Audyssey is setting all your speakers to -12 then that typically means your amp is outputting too high of a signal. Audyssey can only cut the signal down to -12 and it likely needs to cut it further. Are you possibly running Emotiva amps? I think they have had issues before in this area. I believe the solution is to purchase signal attenuators. Search the forum as I am not an expert in attenuators and maybe others can chime in.

I do know that there is an issue if Audyssey is reducing your signal on all speakers by -12.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Is it worth it to include front wides I'm currently using surround backs and i do like what they add and it seems most surround uses surround backs.

should I just add front wides and still keep the back speakers I hate to lose them. I did hooked up front wides+ surround backs and they didn't make much noise even when i disabled back speakers.

Not many sound tracks use front wides. I would keep your surround backs in place as they utilized much more often. You could always try to hook up front wides temporarily to see if you like it better.

Also depends on your room size and if you are sitting far enough away from the screen for front wides to make any audible difference.

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
can we edit posts?

aniway i meant i installed it this saturday afternoon, sorry
Once you get 10 or more posts(approximately, I don't know the exact number), other options are available to you including editing and deleting posts. I think you are also barred from links, at first.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
If Audyssey is setting all your speakers to -12 then that typically means your amp is outputting too high of a signal. Audyssey can only cut the signal down to -12 and it likely needs to cut it further. Are you possibly running Emotiva amps? I think they have had issues before in this area. I believe the solution is to purchase signal attenuators. Search the forum as I am not an expert in attenuators and maybe others can chime in.

I do know that there is an issue if Audyssey is reducing your signal on all speakers by -12.

Thanks for the response. It is a Classe’ CAV-180 amplifier. I think 10 dB attenuators will do the trick since the speakers are running between 80-81 dB right now at -12.0 cut in the 8805.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're listening to a movie with a DTS 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack (not DTS:X), can you hear the difference between DTS-HD MA decoding vs Neural:X processing when you switch back and forth? Or is the difference not easily audible?
not sure have to try it.

i was wondering if there was a technical best practise, but if it's down to preference i will test it out.

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Thanks for the response. It is a Classe’ CAV-180 amplifier. I think 10 dB attenuators will do the trick since the speakers are running between 80-81 dB right now at -12.0 cut in the 8805.
Do you use Dynamic EQ? If not, not need for the attenuators, simply manually level match your speakers to 85dB instead of 75dB and just be aware that "reference level" will be -10 instead of 0.0 on the master volume.

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
Do you use Dynamic EQ? If not, not need for the attenuators, simply manually level match your speakers to 85dB instead of 75dB and just be aware that "reference level" will be -10 instead of 0.0 on the master volume.

I have used DEQ in the past (and typically watch movies at -10 dB from reference) , but it is a dedicated theater, so could do without it I suppose.

I am coming from a Denon 4311 set up in 2010, so it has been 10 years since I have run and set up Audyssey, and don’t remember if using DEQ used to be the recommendation.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
497 Posts
So I got an IMAX update which it said would take 5 minutes. Not sure what changed as the version numbers are the same before/after...

Firmware Version: 7300-5254-9181-3094
DTS Version: 3.90.50.54

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So I got an IMAX update which it said would take 5 minutes. Not sure what changed as the version numbers are the same before/after...

Firmware Version: 7300-5254-9181-3094
DTS Version: 3.90.50.54
When you cycle thru the sound modes by repeatedly pressing one of the "sound mode" buttons does it list IMAX now as DTS option? I would think it would?

·
Registered
497 Posts
When you cycle thru the sound modes by repeatedly pressing one of the "sound mode" buttons does it list IMAX now as DTS option? I would think it would?

I have not seen it as an option yet.

3421 - 3440 of 5532 Posts