AVS Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 5531 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
When you cycle thru the sound modes by repeatedly pressing one of the "sound mode" buttons does it list IMAX now as DTS option? I would think it would?

Maybe it automatically sets the IMAX mode when an IMAX enabled movie is played ?

I have one of the imax enabled movies and will try it tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Sal1950

·
Premium Member
87,920 Posts
Hey guys I just set this up, is there a way to have different speaker profiles based on hdmi inputs? I’ll start reading the manual....

Can you be more specific? The AVP features custom 2CH Playback settings (p. 240 Owner's manual) that can be different from the multi channel settings.

Also, the AVP only allows for storing of one Audyssey EQ (ie. speaker configuration); however, you can download multiple EQs to separate thumb drives or use the MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android, $20) to store multiple EQs on your phone/tablet.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Can you be more specific? The AVP features custom 2CH Playback settings (p. 240 Owner's manual) that can be different from the multi channel settings.

Also, the AVP only allows for storing of one Audyssey EQ (ie. speaker configuration); however, you can download multiple EQs to separate thumb drives or use the MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android, $20) to store multiple EQs on your phone/tablet.

Hi. Sure, I will try.

The Anthem AVM 60 had what they called "speaker profiles". You could assign a certain profile to certain inputs. So what I did is have my subs off when watching cable as the audio sounds better that way. I had them on for everything else.

I think I found the equivalent solution in the Marantz option menu. Looks like you can ratchet down the levels on any speaker you have and it saves that to the input you changed.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Hi. Sure, I will try.

The Anthem AVM 60 had what they called "speaker profiles". You could assign a certain profile to certain inputs. So what I did is have my subs off when watching cable as the audio sounds better that way. I had them on for everything else.

I think I found the equivalent solution in the Marantz option menu. Looks like you can ratchet down the levels on any speaker you have and it saves that to the input you changed.

I wish more companies would handle inputs and profiles like Anthem does. It gives you so much flexibility.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I wish more companies would handle inputs and profiles like Anthem does. It gives you so much flexibility.

My experience with these two processors has been really eye opening. They are both extremely expensive, and within minutes of hooking either of them up I found myself wishing for certain features. The 8805 has an MSRP of 4500 USD and they have the audacity to put a paper microphone stand in the box. The anthem doesn't handle two subs correctly. Very easy simple things like speaker profiles should be a given.

But whatever, it sounds great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
high gain

I have used DEQ in the past (and typically watch movies at -10 dB from reference) , but it is a dedicated theater, so could do without it I suppose.

I am coming from a Denon 4311 set up in 2010, so it has been 10 years since I have run and set up Audyssey, and don’t remember if using DEQ used to be the recommendation.

Thanks.

Mark

I use Emotiva amps and had the same issue as you. I purchased -10DB attenuators and it made a huge difference in sound, recalibrated and it sounds great. Movies to xbox just sounds great.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I use Emotiva amps and had the same issue as you. I purchased -10DB attenuators and it made a huge difference in sound, recalibrated and it sounds great. Movies to xbox just sounds great.

Interesting you guys are talking about this, I was about to ask the same question.

After calibrating, I noticed my volume was way up for normal listening 60/65 range for movies. I didn't really think anything of it, but looked at my level settings and all of them were negative. Some barely, around -.5 but some at -12. What are these attenuators you speak of? Is it possible to share a link?

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts

Thanks.

Which attenuators did you purchase?

Edit: You may have purchased them from Parts Express if you are “Juan I”, but I noticed those are not actually balanced attenuators, according to a reviewer on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
87,920 Posts
Hi. Sure, I will try.

Correct. OPTION - CHANNEL LEVEL ADJUST - (speaker/Sub) is selectable by source.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
30,559 Posts

·
Registered
30,559 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey guys! Now that I have this thing all dialed in, I have a couple upgrade questions:

1) 7.2.4: Right now I am running 5.2.4 with in ceiling atmos speakers. Now that I have a processor that can do 7.1.4 I am wondering what your thoughts are on using in ceiling speakers for the side surrounds. Right now I have the rear surrounds in wall behind the MLP. My speakers are golden ear triton one.r's for fronts, golden ear super center reference, goden ear invisia 525's for atmos, and golden ear MPX's for the rears. I would like to lower the rear speakers a bit and upgrade to the golden ear SPS in the back. For the side surrounds I have my eye on the HTR 7000's as they look to be directional. My concern is this will sound worse then what I have now. I have never heard 7.2.4 vs 5.2.4. I enjoy the information coming from behind me, but wonder what it would add to have two more speakers.

2) Adding outdoor speakers for the pool: I have long wanted to do this, but have never actually pulled the trigger. If the AV8805 is running either a 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 main setup, can one use the extra two channels for a separate "zone"? In the manual they describe the zones as HDMI zones.

·
Registered
30,001 Posts
1) 7.2.4: Right now I am running 5.2.4 with in ceiling atmos speakers. Now that I have a processor that can do 7.1.4 I am wondering what your thoughts are on using in ceiling speakers for the side surrounds. Right now I have the rear surrounds in wall behind the MLP. My speakers are golden ear triton one.r's for fronts, golden ear super center reference, goden ear invisia 525's for atmos, and golden ear MPX's for the rears. I would like to lower the rear speakers a bit and upgrade to the golden ear SPS in the back. For the side surrounds I have my eye on the HTR 7000's as they look to be directional. My concern is this will sound worse then what I have now. I have never heard 7.2.4 vs 5.2.4. I enjoy the information coming from behind me, but wonder what it would add to have two more speakers.
So a few things here...

First, the primary surrounds in a 5.1 layout ARE the side surrounds. It's common for people to do what you have and place the surrounds behind you, but really you should only have back surrounds if you first have side surrounds (expanding from 5.1 to 7.1). So, yes, you are definitely missing something by not having side surrounds, as there's a huge gap between screen effects and surround effects currently.

That said, you should NOT use in-ceiling surrounds with an Atmos setup. Atmos requires separation between the "ear level" layer and the "overhead" layer. If you then lower the rear speakers further it will be even worse -- sounds panning around you will start at the screen, jump up to the ceiling, then jump down behind you. So only add side surrounds if you can place them properly to the sides at the same height as the back surrounds.

2) Adding outdoor speakers for the pool: I have long wanted to do this, but have never actually pulled the trigger. If the AV8805 is running either a 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 main setup, can one use the extra two channels for a separate "zone"? In the manual they describe the zones as HDMI zones.
The AV8805 is a processor, it doesn't have any amps so you don't have to worry about "using up" channels like a receiver. It is capable of connecting a full 15.2 speakers setup in Main Zone and ALSO running 2 pairs of stereo speakers for Zone 2 + Zone 3 via the dedicated pre-out.

3441 - 3460 of 5531 Posts