AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 7048 Posts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi again,

Concerning the DACs, the specs sheet of the 8805 above indicates AKM AK4490, which are indicated as being "premium"... a direct differentiation from the 7704...

Now my personal interest in the 8805 lies in that - as the specs sheet above indicates - this 8805 will have a 9.2.4 capacity, aka it will be able to process wides in Atmos. This interest coming from the fact that our installation is 9.2.6.

And for those interested in getting an idea of what 9.X.X configurations can provide, some time ago I wrote an article for HCFR directly comparing 7.1.4 and 9.1.4 reproductions (+ 9.1.6 & 21.1.8, all this with the exceptional Trinnov Altitude 32...), it's available here (in French) :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/dolby-...ns-7-2-4-7-1-7-1-array-9-1-4-9-1-6-et-21-1-8/

So in our case Spring 2018 (availability of the 8805 as JD indicated above) will be a tough period to decide which option to choose a 8805 with its 9.2.4 (or 7.2.6) capacity or a Trinnov Altitude 16 with a full 9.1.6 capacity...

And for those interested here is a photo I took for the look and specs of the static Trinnov A16 shown at the recent (mid October) Festival du Son et de l'Image in Paris.

Hugo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Seems strange to me that they are maintaining so many of the legacy video connections on there. The picture makes it look like there are several component and composite video inputs, more than most anyone needs.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Seems strange to me that they are maintaining so many of the legacy video connections on there. The picture makes it look like there are several component and composite video inputs, more than most anyone needs.
When I was in Japan October of 2016, I was shown the road map of the pending prepro. I asked the very same question. A key reason why they kept them was based off of their demographics of the typical Marantz buyer. Meaning, they are older. So according to their research, the legacy connections still made sense. It's not as if they want to spend more on the BOL. Rather, they don't want to lose buyers who still have these legacy connections. In the custom installer world where a lot of 88xx sales end up, legacy connections are infinitely more important than the researched oriented, earlier adopter AVS-type member.

For me, I don't personally need up-conversion on my prepro, phono, a tuner, more HDMI outs, composite, component, balanced inputs. Yet others like myself do care about the embedded HEOS (a VERY nice feature IMHO) as well as zone 2 and zone 3. But for me at least, those features are positively important. So mathematically speaking, their economy of scale increases when they don't exclude buyers which further drives down their over all costs. I assume that's how they work the math and how they make their decisions. If their only target market was an early adopter AVS type buyer, then I bet they would not have slashed those connections.

My other guess has to do with what exactly the 8805 really is. It's a tweaked out Denon platform not the other way around. So when Denon drops even more connections (that of course will happen one day), that's when Marantz will drop more connections too. Furthermore, I would not be surprised if it is actually less expensive to leave the back panel, "motherboard" etc the same as before versus re-engineering a new platform to "save" connections.

This last paragraph reminded me of the Lexicon MC-12 then the MC-8 and finally the released MC-4. While talking with Jeremy Front of Lexicon back then, he alluded to the fact that it was expensive to re-spin a "cheaper" Lex prepro. As in, when you amortize engineering costs and tooling over a lower volume product, the BOM and assembly savings are nonexistent. Putting it another way, their "cost" of re-spinning a cheaper prepro (including NRE's, etc) may not of added much to their bottom line.

To be clear, Marantz has made no references to the last two paragraphs. Rather this is my own theory.

·
Premium Member
91,799 Posts
Balance in all things. Following the logic of @SteveH (who was responsible for all the great 8802/7702 comparison photos), I should take the Polk (albeit their hi -end) speakers as my baseline and match the other audio components to them in performance. I respect this opinion, as I am happy with the Polks in my HT. Per JD's response on processor power (first I've ever read on this comparison--thank you very much):
If AV7702 MkII > X4200W, and
AV8802A > X7200WA, then
AV7704 > X4400W All of these are 11.1

So, if I want 13.1 early next year, I must go to the flagship AV 8805 receiver or the X8500H (or RMC-1) and be out of balance with my speakers. If I want to stay in balance, but still have 13.1 ch of processing power; I'll have to wait for the replacement for the X6400W (or AV7705?), which might have 13.1 ch of processing? Following the usual D/M timing, these models would be announced mid-2018, or so.

This sounds like a reasonable plan, if I can fight off ungradeitis. Comments?
Highly unlikely. Only the "flagship" AV8805 and X8500H models are likely to retain that honor for a few years to set them apart.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Huge Buckeye Fan. I actually think they are in great shape if they win out. I have followed the BCS rankings long enough to know they NEVER stay steady. In 2014 they were ranked #14 in the first BCS poll of the season...so we are way ahead of schedule right now :) There will also be movement and loses by top 10 teams. IF they make it to the Big Ten Championship game and beat Wisconsin then I am 90% confident they will be in the playoff this year.

I am in Cincinnati so the Cleveland teams do nothing for me :)
I grew up in Mansfield, so picked the Cleveland teams. My undergrad was a D-III school that always got pounded by our rivals. Fortunately went to OSU for grad school. Then we moved up here to Minneapolis, where my adopted sports team aren’t so hot either

·
Registered
541 Posts
Any body have information on the suggested placement with an AV8805/X8500H for the 6 top speakers in an Atmos 7-1-6 setup? This is a dedicated theater with 2 rows of seating.....

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
91,799 Posts
Any body have information on the suggested placement with an AV8805/X8500H for the 6 top speakers in an Atmos 7-1-6 setup? This is a dedicated theater with 2 rows of seating.....

Thanks!!
Using all (3) height speaker settings that have been available since Atmos AVRs were first introduced 3 years ago in the normally configured locations: Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Using all (3) height speaker settings that have been available since Atmos AVRs were first introduced 3 years ago in the normally configured locations: Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear.
Thanks, I’ve seen those suggested diagrams. They typically account for a single MLP and not a 2 row theater. I am hoping that the additional ceiling speakers may increase the sweet pot or coverage area. Although it is always a compromise!

·
Registered
30,178 Posts
For even coverage, mount the front pair of heights a few feet forward of the front row, the back pair a few feet rearward of the back row, the middle pair splitting the gap between the two rows. Both rows will be able to distinguish height sounds that are forward of them, rearward of them, and overhead.

·
Registered
541 Posts
For even coverage, mount the front pair of heights a few feet forward of the front row, the back pair a few feet rearward of the back row, the middle pair splitting the gap between the two rows. Both rows will be able to distinguish height sounds that are forward of them, rearward of them, and overhead.
Thank you! That is how I have it sketched out, but really wanted some confirmation.

James

·
Premium Member
91,799 Posts
Thanks, I’ve seen those suggested diagrams. They typically account for a single MLP and not a 2 row theater. I am hoping that the additional ceiling speakers may increase the sweet pot or coverage area. Although it is always a compromise!
Regardless of how many rows of seats you have, there is generally always only one MLP (ie. where you sit). Focus speaker placement on the MLP.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Very interesting. I better start saving money! :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
IMHO - this pre/pro is the safest bet. Seems the others (while on paper read well) are full of bugs. I'm assuming based on history that Marantz will have the bugs ironed out in this machine.

I do hope they can implement HDMI 2.1 or at least be capable of pass-through.

I also hope the powers that be stop with the shenanigans changing specs. Make something that does 1000gb and be done with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi again,

Concerning the DACs, the specs sheet of the 8805 above indicates AKM AK4490, which are indicated as being "premium"... a direct differentiation from the 7704...

Now my personal interest in the 8805 lies in that - as the specs sheet above indicates - this 8805 will have a 9.2.4 capacity, aka it will be able to process wides in Atmos. This interest coming from the fact that our installation is 9.2.6.

And for those interested in getting an idea of what 9.X.X configurations can provide, some time ago I wrote an article for HCFR directly comparing 7.1.4 and 9.1.4 reproductions (+ 9.1.6 & 21.1.8, all this with the exceptional Trinnov Altitude 32...), it's available here (in French) :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/dolby-...ns-7-2-4-7-1-7-1-array-9-1-4-9-1-6-et-21-1-8/

So in our case Spring 2018 (availability of the 8805 as JD indicated above) will be a tough period to decide which option to choose a 8805 with its 9.2.4 (or 7.2.6) capacity or a Trinnov Altitude 16 with a full 9.1.6 capacity...

And for those interested here is a photo I took for the look and specs of the static Trinnov A16 shown at the recent (mid October) Festival du Son et de l'Image in Paris.

Hugo
8805 has the same DAC as the current 8802A...so I’m wondering if Upgrade is serious or filler step. Of course I guess they will upgrade the partner pro the MM8077. Any news about that? I remain very unhappy with the speaker terminals on the 8077. They are rubbish inside and out. If I could replace them I would. Or replace the power amp I have considered too. But no alternatives spring readily to mind from ATC or elsewhere.

Hugo, the Trinnov is a major step up in # channels even at 16 vs 13.2.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nah ... the AV7702MKII is more akin to the Denon X4200W in both processing power and DAC while the flagship X7200WA is more akin to the AV8802A.
I owned both the 7200a and 8802A and now an AV 7704... its the dacs and video processing that make the difference. Video scaling noticeably better with the audio DACS just a bit easier to listen to in the flagship products.

·
Registered
81 Posts
8805 has the same DAC as the current 8802A...so I’m wondering if Upgrade is serious or filler step. Of course I guess they will upgrade the partner pro the MM8077. Any news about that? I remain very unhappy with the speaker terminals on the 8077. They are rubbish inside and out. If I could replace them I would. Or replace the power amp I have considered too. But no alternatives spring readily to mind from ATC or elsewhere.

Hugo, the Trinnov is a major step up in # channels even at 16 vs 13.2.
Something else to note. MY 7704 gave up a web based control interface with the shift to HEOS. So I sit in my home office working away on my PC...my cell rings...with the 8802 I hit the browser tab with the control interface, mute the music, answer the phone...boom With the 7704 that is not possible because the control interface is on the cell phone I want to answer...if I want to control a device using HEOS I need to lug around a new tablet I have to buy....HEOS giveth and HEOS taketh away

·
Registered
25 Posts
First world problems

I hear ya, I use Sonos in my office, but it doesn't work with my company's VPN, so I have to have Sonos up on my phone... if it rings, I have to get up and manually turn the volume down.....

First world problems. :)

Something else to note. MY 7704 gave up a web based control interface with the shift to HEOS. So I sit in my home office working away on my PC...my cell rings...with the 8802 I hit the browser tab with the control interface, mute the music, answer the phone...boom With the 7704 that is not possible because the control interface is on the cell phone I want to answer...if I want to control a device using HEOS I need to lug around a new tablet I have to buy....HEOS giveth and HEOS taketh away

21 - 40 of 7048 Posts