AVS Forum banner

5081 - 5100 of 5718 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could help me with a matter I've been having with the AV8805.

Recently I decided to connect the XRL outputs from my OPPO 205 into the XRL stereo inputs of the processor. It turns out that when I select the "Analog" input of the processor in order to take advantage of the DAC of the OPPO, the CENTER channel starts making a static noise (like the cable was broken). I tried to replace the XLR cables, and the noise remains, even with the OPPO on standby mode. It goes away if I pull the plug of the OPPO.
Also, if I remove the HDMI cable from the OPPO, the noise becomes MUCH louder.

Could you please help me with this?

If I factory reset the AV8805, will it solve the problem?

Thank you!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could help me with a matter I've been having with the AV8805.

Recently I decided to connect the XRL outputs from my OPPO 205 into the XRL stereo inputs of the processor. It turns out that when I select the "Analog" input of the processor in order to take advantage of the DAC of the OPPO, the CENTER channel starts making a static noise (like the cable was broken). I tried to replace the XLR cables, and the noise remains, even with the OPPO on standby mode. It goes away if I pull the plug of the OPPO.

Could you please help me with this?

If I factory reset the AV8805, will it solve the problem?

Thank you!
What sound mode is the 8805 set to - Stereo or some upmix surround mode?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What sound mode is the 8805 set to - Stereo or some upmix surround mode?
Thank you for replying, khollister!

The sound mode is “Pure Direct”. That’s what’s weird, because I have L and R XRL input connects, but I’m getting noise from the center channel.

A weird thing is that when I disconnect the HDMI cable from the OPPO (keeping the other end connected to the 8805), the noise gets louder. Could it be a grounding problem?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thank you for replying, khollister!

The sound mode is “Pure Direct”. That’s what’s weird, because I have L and R XRL input connects, but I’m getting noise from the center channel.

A weird thing is that when I disconnect the HDMI cable from the OPPO (keeping the other end connected to the 8805), the noise gets louder. Could it be a grounding problem?
A ground loop is usually a hum, not static. It would also likely be in all channels, not just the center. That said, it certainly seems to be more likely than other causes based on what you have said.A few things to try:

1) try Direct and Stereo as well as Pure Direct
2) try something like Dolby Surround instead of Stereo
3) Ideally, you would try a different source and a different preamp as the input. However, I'm guessing since this is the balanced inputs, that may not be possible.
4) I seriously doubt a factory reset would do anything except wipe out your settings since it goes away when the Oppo is powered off. That really sounds like an Oppo or grounding issue except for how you are getting anything in the center.
5) Presumably playing a CD (stereo) in the Oppo via the HDMI or SPDIF outputs is OK? It is only the analog input that presents the problem? If the XLR cables are hooked up but the input is set to HDMI there is no noise?

·
Registered
18,359 Posts
My Sub has a headache and is taking a trip to JL audio, great customer service by the way. With my 8805 I don't seem to be getting much bass through my mains? I did turn off the sub but it does still show crossover settings. Anyway looking for the bass.

Thanks
One of my Fathoms is taking a trip to JL too. Holy cow, I'm getting online quotes from FedEx and UPS and darn near fell out of my chair.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I recently replaced my Marantz AV8802A with the Marantz AV8805. Thus far I am very pleased with the upgrade. I also just purchased a Marantz MM8077 Amp to go with the Sunfire 7401 7 Channel Amp I am using for the 7.1.2 system I have. The Atmos speakers are being amped via a very small amplifier I picked up via Amazon. I acquired the MM8077 so that I could run the two Atmos speakers and add two more. I will be using the balanced XLR connectors. So here is my question. I placed the Marantz MM8077 into my cabinet and while I don't have any speaker connections setup wanted to make sure it would auto turn on when I turn on the system. I get power to the unit as the red light comes on but the unit does not automatically turn on. I ran a 12 volt trigger out of the Marantz AV8805 to the input trigger on the Marantz MM8077. But it does not auto turn on the unit. I can push in the button near the red light and the unit will come on and show the blue circle. Is my problem the fact that I have no speakers connected via XLR or RCA? Does the MM8077 need to sense a signal. I would appreciate any guidance in this question.
Thank you in advance.
Manny
I figured out the problem. I am using a Monster 5100 Mk2 unit to control my system. When I turn the TV on the AV8500 automatically turns on from a standby state. Then I have a delay where the Sunfire 7401 Amp is turned on as well as the Marantz MM8077. The problem was that the MM8077 would not completely turn on but go into standby. The trigger was turned on but the MM8077 was not ready for it. I could pull the trigger cable out and then plug it back in and the unit would turn on. So the solution was to not turn the unit off but take it to standby with a red light. So now when my system turns on the MM8077 is already in standby and the trigger signal takes it to ON showing the blue circle of light. The Monster unit has the ability to either set the output to either switched or unswitched. In the unswitched when I turn the system off the MM8077 goes to standby rather than completely off. So problem fixed. I guess I should have seen this given that the AV8500 when turned off goes to standby with a red light. I needed to duplicate that with the MM8077. I should be getting my XLR cables this Sunday and new Klipsch Atmos speakers for the rear surrounds so that I will have a 7.1.4 system.

·
Premium Member
88,590 Posts
I figured out the problem. I am using a Monster 5100 Mk2 unit to control my system. When I turn the TV on the AV8500 automatically turns on from a standby state. Then I have a delay where the Sunfire 7401 Amp is turned on as well as the Marantz MM8077. The problem was that the MM8077 would not completely turn on but go into standby. The trigger was turned on but the MM8077 was not ready for it. I could pull the trigger cable out and then plug it back in and the unit would turn on. So the solution was to not turn the unit off but take it to standby with a red light. So now when my system turns on the MM8077 is already in standby and the trigger signal takes it to ON showing the blue circle of light. The Monster unit has the ability to either set the output to either switched or unswitched. In the unswitched when I turn the system off the MM8077 goes to standby rather than completely off. So problem fixed. I guess I should have seen this given that the AV8500 when turned off goes to standby with a red light. I needed to duplicate that with the MM8077. I should be getting my XLR cables this Sunday and new Klipsch Atmos speakers for the rear surrounds so that I will have a 7.1.4 system.
As a reminder, and as noted on on p. 18 of the AV8805 Owner's manual, "red" in standby is normal; however, the color will change to "orange" when one of the following is set:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
For me making the jump from the AV8801 to the AV8805 was a notable refinement in sound quality. Worth the upgrade, yes id say so. Thou on terms of money spent, it would have been nice for marantz to offer the new hdmi boards admin a free upgrade, considering the cost of these units... but i guess that's not going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
fathom shipping costs

One of my Fathoms is taking a trip to JL too. Holy cow, I'm getting online quotes from FedEx and UPS and darn near fell out of my chair.
I have not checked into that yet, what was your quote? Shipping 147 lbs is no small matter. As I recall, they pay for the return shipping.

·
Premium Member
88,590 Posts
For me making the jump from the AV8801 to the AV8805 was a notable refinement in sound quality. Worth the upgrade, yes id say so. Thou on terms of money spent, it would have been nice for marantz to offer the new hdmi boards admin a free upgrade, considering the cost of these units... but i guess that's not going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Although a final cost has yet to be announced by Sound United, initial estimate on the HDMI 2.1 board replacement was $200-$300 with the owner paying shipping cost to the factory repair facility, United Radio, Syracuse, NY and Sound United paying the return shipping cost using whatever service the owner used (eg. next day, 2 day express, 3 day express or ground).

·
Registered
18,359 Posts
I have not checked into that yet, what was your quote? Shipping 147 lbs is no small matter. As I recall, they pay for the return shipping.
It was a little north of $200. In my head, for whatever strange reason, I was locked into another number. A lower number.:D Have you got your RA# yet? Will probably ship mine out Mon or Tues. But yeah, these aren't light are they?

Edit: Yes, they pay for the return shipping.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
It was a little north of $200. In my head, for whatever strange reason, I was locked into another number. A lower number.:D Have you got your RA# yet? Will probably ship mine out Mon or Tues. But yeah, these aren't light are they?

It cost me about $130 to ship my amp back to ATI using their rates recently. It cost about $75 a couple years ago to ship it to me initially if I remember correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dave Vaughn

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,710 Posts
It cost me about $130 to ship my amp back to ATI using their rates recently. It cost about $75 a couple years ago to ship it to me initially if I remember correct.
Sounds about right. Shipping rates have gone through the roof the last few years.

·
Registered
150 Posts

I am supposed to get my RA# on Monday. Then they are going to send me a box to ship it in as I don't have mine anymore. Mine is from 2007, just glad they are going to fix it and I think it is a sweet deal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Surround speakers don't work

Hi, I got my 8805 and I've been working with it all day yesterday and today. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The unit recognizes all my speakers, 4 atmos, front wides, side and rear surrounds. It plays test tones perfectly thru all my speakers. But when I play a blue ray or cable or Netflix, doesn't matter, only my front left right and center work. I'm at my wits end. Please help. Thanks a lot. Sam

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It sounds like it’s in stereo mode. You can use dolby surround and it will play any signal through all of your speakers and will play Dolby Atmos when it’s present. You can use the info/status button in order to see what incoming signal is and on the right how many speakers are being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
122 Posts
I figured it out. I have a separate amp for my surround speakers and the power cord came loose in the middle of me moving my equipment rack in and out. I do have a couple of other questions. Cable and Netflix are the same volume but when I play a blue ray on my PS3 the volume is lower. When my Outlaw 990 was in the system all my sources were the same volume. Also when playing blue rays the display reads multi channel in 7.1. Shouldn't it say Dolby digital or DTS etc. thx again.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I recently acquired the Marantz Amp MM8077 for my Atmos speakers. I currently only have two fronts upper firing Klipsch Atmos speakers. I ordered two more. My AV8805 is running the 7.1 setup with a Sunfire 7401 Amp. My cabinet is a really tight fit for the Sunfire and Marantz Amps. I only have about 1 inch above the Amps, so I was concerned about heat. I just added two 5 volt computer fans in the back blowing air over the top of the Marantz. That seems to have cooled it down substantially. Thus far really happy with the setup. I found a couple of sample Atmos sound/video samples on www.youtube.com that are excellent and worth listening to. I redid the Audyssey and listening to the samples made everything worth the effort. I am excited to add two rear upper firing Atmos speakers later this week. That will give me a 7.1.4 setup. Thanks Jdsmoothie for your insight.

·
Premium Member
88,590 Posts
I recently acquired the Marantz Amp MM8077 for my Atmos speakers. I currently only have two fronts upper firing Klipsch Atmos speakers. I ordered two more. My AV8805 is running the 7.1 setup with a Sunfire 7401 Amp. My cabinet is a really tight fit for the Sunfire and Marantz Amps. I only have about 1 inch above the Amps, so I was concerned about heat. I just added two 5 volt computer fans in the back blowing air over the top of the Marantz. That seems to have cooled it down substantially. Thus far really happy with the setup. I found a couple of sample Atmos sound/video samples on www.youtube.com that are excellent and worth listening to. I redid the Audyssey and listening to the samples made everything worth the effort. I am excited to add two rear upper firing Atmos speakers later this week. That will give me a 7.1.4 setup. Thanks Jdsmoothie for your insight.
Consider turning the fans around such that the warm air is pulled "away" from the top of the AVP.

5081 - 5100 of 5718 Posts