AVS Forum banner

5121 - 5140 of 5714 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,709 Posts
What annoyed me was what was happening with the digital inputs actually.

My measurement mic found a 3 inch difference in the FL and FR speakers. The manual implied I'd have the correction my prepro applied neutralized by selecting Pure Direct and that was not the case for digital inputs getting PCM from my disc player. I needed the L and R to be same so when I sent my preamp level signal to an outboard headphone amp or recording device I'd have the two channels in correct phase. Having a button labelled "Pure Direct" which couldn't actually accomplish that with a quick, single button selection for digital inputs was annoying.
Sure it's a valid complaint, but the gripe is with the AVR / pre-pro manufacturer, not with Audyssey on that.

As I said in one of my other posts, these companies would do everyone (including themselves due to fewer support calls) a huge favor if they did a better job of documenting how these features actually work and interact with each other.

·
Registered
15,758 Posts
Sure it's a valid complaint, but the gripe is with the AVR / pre-pro manufacturer, not with Audyssey on that
Make that manufacturers, plural, since krabapple found the same oddity on his Denon AVR made a year or so later than my Marantz prepro. [Although I realize D+M Group, then D&M Holdings I believe, is the same company.]

·
Registered
18,340 Posts
If in the same position and same gain /level etc.. you shouldn't but and I mean but the sub may not be the same after the repair and therefore to settle that little nagging wabo that will bother you till no end!:D So yeah if it were me I'd do another calibration;)

Agreed, it probably makes sense to do a new calibration in case the gain level changed or the state of the amp was bad enough to have an effect on the calibration when you (@Waboman) ran it previously.
Yeah, you guys are probably right. Will have to run another cal. Been so long I don't remember my mic positions. I'll have The Franin come over and work his magic. Think I still have some Vegemite masks leftover. For proper social distancing.

Reactions: audiofan1

·
Registered
814 Posts
Couple of questions:

1) Is the 8805 XLR inputs/outputs fully balanced?

2) can someone help explain the Smart Select feature is and how you guys use it? I read the manual and it didn’t really help.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Trouble w/ bass?

Hey guys - so I finally got a Mini DSP 2x4 HD to connect dual subs. When I started Audyssey, it sent a tone to the subs for me to Level match them. Easy. Then I got into REW and spent a couple hours making it sound right, got a decent flat response. So, I finish everything up and went to watch TV, no bass. I waited a few hours (because I needed break from it) and went back into Audyseey. Checked sub levels....almost no sound. Very low and the trim is at -6. I started Audyssey again to check, and it picked them up again. Loud and vibrated the room. Went into REW and ran a sweep....came back w/ the same graph as before. Went back into level test...nothing.

I thought it was the mini dip, so I unhooked it and ran the xlr straight into the back of the 8805....ran the levels..almost nothing. Is there some weird hiccup that's happening or something that needs to be reset? As I type this, I ran another sweep and I get the exact same graph I had before....so its clearly picking up that subs are there. I have spent hours on this and can't find the answer anywhere. I was going to call Mini DSP, but it seems that its not the issue - seems that something has happened w/ the LFE on the 8805. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks in advance, probably a simple solution I haven't thought of

·
Premium Member
88,572 Posts
Hey guys - so I finally got a Mini DSP 2x4 HD to connect dual subs. When I started Audyssey, it sent a tone to the subs for me to Level match them. Easy. Then I got into REW and spent a couple hours making it sound right, got a decent flat response. So, I finish everything up and went to watch TV, no bass. I waited a few hours (because I needed break from it) and went back into Audyseey. Checked sub levels....almost no sound. Very low and the trim is at -6. I started Audyssey again to check, and it picked them up again. Loud and vibrated the room. Went into REW and ran a sweep....came back w/ the same graph as before. Went back into level test...nothing.

I thought it was the mini dip, so I unhooked it and ran the xlr straight into the back of the 8805....ran the levels..almost nothing. Is there some weird hiccup that's happening or something that needs to be reset? As I type this, I ran another sweep and I get the exact same graph I had before....so its clearly picking up that subs are there. I have spent hours on this and can't find the answer anywhere. I was going to call Mini DSP, but it seems that its not the issue - seems that something has happened w/ the LFE on the 8805. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks in advance, probably a simple solution I haven't thought of
What master volume level is set when you run the test tone? As a lower frequencies are more "felt" than "heard", the master volume would have to be set fairly high.

When a strange issue presents that cannot easily be explained or resolved, there are two steps to take:

1. Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVP and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes.

2. If still no joy, then do a microprocessor reset by powering off the AVP and while pressing/holding the GAME and INFO buttons on the AVP front panel power on the AVP. Continue holding the two buttons until you see the word "INITIALIZED" on the front panel display.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

What sound mode and material are you trying with after setup?
Speaker size set to small? What crossover settings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Couple of questions:

2) can someone help explain the Smart Select feature is and how you guys use it? I read the manual and it didn’t really help.
1) This is a controversial question... Not gonna touch it. :)

2) Think of these as a way to save a particular configuration and recall them with a press of a button. Basically, it will remember your input source, output, volume level, sound mode, etc., so pressing a Smart Select button will re-select or restore your settings. They will also turn the unit on. The best feature I like is they also select the HDMI output (my 8805 is feeding a projector and a TV) and it's the quickest way to choose the output by far. It's sort of like with programmable remotes, where you create macros for "Watch TV" (for example) to fire off a bunch of IR commands to set up your devices; the only difference here is that these are for the processor only, not other devices.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
What master volume level is set when you run the test tone? As a lower frequencies are more "felt" than "heard", the master volume would have to be set fairly high.

When a strange issue presents that cannot easily be explained or resolved, there are two steps to take:

1. Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVP and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes.

2. If still no joy, then do a microprocessor reset by powering off the AVP and while pressing/holding the GAME and INFO buttons on the AVP front panel power on the AVP. Continue holding the two buttons until you see the word "INITIALIZED" on the front panel display.
I even raised the sub trim to -12 and almost no sound. Very odd. Ok, I have it unplugged now and will try in 10 mins. If not, I'll try your other option as well.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
What sound mode and material are you trying with after setup?
Speaker size set to small? What crossover settings?

2 channel, tv, youtube videos, scenes from John Wick...zero bass. Running small/80hz across all 5. Its just some connection issue, hopefully the reset suggested above will work!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
2 channel, tv, youtube videos, scenes from John Wick...zero bass. Running small/80hz across all 5. Its just some connection issue, hopefully the reset suggested above will work!

You dont use direct mode i hope.

Sub -12 is the lowest unless you mean +12

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
You dont use direct mode i hope.

Sub -12 is the lowest unless you mean +12

yea sorry tried all the way to +12....no audible difference. just got back home, gonna try the reset options now

·
Premium Member
639 Posts

Tried both resets - nothing :(

I tried to run audyssey again and it picked up the subs. Any other ideas, 8805 couldnt have gone out right?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Couple of questions:

2) Omitted

o The (+) and (-) XLR inputs have equal impedance to ground so the circuit is balanced. The circuit consists of a voltage follower circuit on each of the two input legs followed by a differential amplifier.

o The (+) and (-) XLR outputs have equal impedance to ground and equal output impedance. Each output, (+) and (-), is actively driven by an HDAM circuit.

As always, the quality of the balance and the overall quality of the circuits depends on, among other factors, the quality of the active components and power supply, and the tolerances and characteristics of the passive components.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does anyone know where we can provide feedback to Marantz about adding the ability to have Smart Select remember your choice of HDMI vs. 7.1 CH inputs? I’d love to be able to switch between the two for the Blu-ray input with the touch of a button, as opposed to having to go into the setup menu each time.

·
Premium Member
88,572 Posts
Does anyone know where we can provide feedback to Marantz about adding the ability to have Smart Select remember your choice of HDMI vs. 7.1 CH inputs? I’d love to be able to switch between the two for the Blu-ray input with the touch of a button, as opposed to having to go into the setup menu each time.
Have you tried setting to "Auto" for the Blu-ray input?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Older marantz units used to have that on the remote. It should be in the database if you use a Logitech Harmony remote.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts

Update - I did a demo of a movie the bass was there...just not super loud. I went to mv -15 and added 5 gain on the mini dsp. Its present, but nowhere near what it should be. I'm wondering if maybe the xlr to rca adapters I'm using are causing a gain attenuation? But when I plugged directly in, the volume was still low. So that actually kind of eliminates that. Its just literally like the bass signal is muffled/lowered. I have exhausted all options. It seems that bass is coming out now, I just have to turn up the volume knob on subs even more. In my room previously, -6 trim w/ one sub was very very loud. Sure there was distortion but it was room shaking. So having duals set at -6 shouldnt be this low...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you tried setting to "Auto" for the Blu-ray input?
Thanks JD, but I don't see AUTO for input mode. Only HDMI or 7.1CH IN.

What I'm trying to accomplish is a fast way of switching from HDMI audio (to use Audyssey) and Analog audio (to take advantage of the Oppo 205 DACs) when listening to music from the Oppo 205.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Update - I did a demo of a movie the bass was there...just not super loud. I went to mv -15 and added 5 gain on the mini dsp. Its present, but nowhere near what it should be. I'm wondering if maybe the xlr to rca adapters I'm using are causing a gain attenuation? But when I plugged directly in, the volume was still low. So that actually kind of eliminates that. Its just literally like the bass signal is muffled/lowered. I have exhausted all options. It seems that bass is coming out now, I just have to turn up the volume knob on subs even more. In my room previously, -6 trim w/ one sub was very very loud. Sure there was distortion but it was room shaking. So having duals set at -6 shouldnt be this low...

i am using a mDSP 2X4HD for a couple of months now, i also got XLR to RCA cables for it (4 of my subs are using those) with no issues and attenuation. I had my subs connected to my 8805 using XLR-XLR cables and it was the exact same level/sound.

5121 - 5140 of 5714 Posts