AVS Forum banner

5401 - 5420 of 5534 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
When running just one pair of surround speakers that in my case are behind my listening position does it matter if those speakers speakers are connected to the surround or back surround pre-outs? Is the surround signal from source material handled the same when using just one set of surround speakers?

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
Which movie evoked this function. Christopher Nolan's movies have a sway towards Imax full screen and "black bars".
Zombieland 2. AFAIK, none of Nolans films are IE.

·
Registered
15,394 Posts
When running just one pair of surround speakers that in my case are behind my listening position does it matter if those speakers speakers are connected to the surround or back surround pre-outs? Is the surround signal from source material handled the same when using just one set of surround speakers?
That's actually a good question. I think the surround signal is considered more important and more fundamental than the surround back signal so even though yours may not be optimally placed I would still connect them as surround, not back surround.

I don't think Dolby has a stated stance on this but I'd fully accept whatever they say if different than my opinion.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That's actually a good question. I think the surround signal is considered more important and more fundamental than the surround back signal so even though yours may not be optimally placed I would still connect them as surround, not back surround.
That is how I have always paired those speakers is on the surround not the back surround pre-outs but I could not find any information the manual nor have I ever tried bolting them to the back surround outputs. Since I have my 8805 coming back from service, I thought I would float the question to you folks to see if there is a right or wrong way to handle this.

·
Registered
15,394 Posts
That is how I have always paired those speakers is on the surround not the back surround pre-outs but I could not find any information the manual nor have I ever tried bolting them to the back surround outputs. Since I have my 8805 coming back from service, I thought I would float the question to you folks to see if there is a right or wrong way to handle this.

According to Dolby the surround speakers can be slightly behind you, as much as 110 degrees away from the center axis.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/dts-x-immersive-surround-sound/DolbyAmos7.1.4.png

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I don't think you can have surround backs without surround speakers. You are always using "surround", not "surround back" in 5.x configurations.

Reactions: Baby Jocko

·
Vendor
26,675 Posts
That's probably a reasonable statement. If one is expecting HUGE sound quality differences between an 8802 and 8805 with identical speaker configurations (same crossovers, same sizes, same level and distance settings, etc.) and with Audyssey turned off (see next point), the result should be disappointing if lots of money was spent to upgrade with an expectation of huge differences.
I have told many people who wanted to update their speakers or receiver looking for better sound "not going into audiophile gear", well I feel it does not work like that with sound. Scrap the update and get audio calibration as long as you have a "good" receiver and "good" speakers.

You get a master like Chad B in there, with the right receiver, he can pretty much make it sound anyway you want. He made my Swans sing, it was night and day difference. I have to tell people you have never "really" heard music :D https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/857183-swan-owner-s-thread-117.html#post21294330

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nolan shot some scenes in IMAX but that’s not the same as IMAX Enhanced

In order to get IMAX Enhanced on the Marantz you need to play an IMAX Enhanced source like the Angry Birds 2, Jumanji Next Level, Journey to the South Pacific, and Beautiful Planet 4k discs.

There are a few more IMAX Enhanced discs but not many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thankyou for your response.
I have been "away" from this new Tech due to personal family reasons for quite a while.
I am starting to get a handle on it.
Youtube is a great educator on new HT Tech as is the helpful folk on this and other forums.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I currently have an AV8805 in my theatre room and wonder if one of you experienced owners could confirm an issue I've come across.

I was testing the "movie modes" and noticed that when playing a DTS-HD MA track, the options available to me - not listing them all, only the ones I was interested in were DTS-HD MSTR, DTS-HD + Neural:X and DTS-HD + Dolby Surround

I am aware of the capabilities of each of the modes - well I assumed I was until I put them to the test. Both the Neural:X and DSU variants performed as expected, taking a 5.1 native track and upmixing to all speakers (Current set-up 7.2.4). However what I found perplexing was the DTS-HD MSTR mode. I thought that this mode would merely pass the "native" track, in this case 5.1, to my "bed" speakers up to the 5.1 limit of the track. However to my surprise I noted that in fact it took the track and upmixed it to 7.1 (using all speakers in the bed - fronts, centre, sides and rears). Can anyone confirm whether this is by design or whether there might be a setting I'm missing (I did check various tracks, in case I originally had used a 7.1 in error, but all DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks behaved in this way). Dolby HD tracks do not show the same behaviour and if playing a 5.1 track, it plays back on 5.1 channels.

Thanks

·
Registered
787 Posts
I currently have an AV8805 in my theatre room and wonder if one of you experienced owners could confirm an issue I've come across.

I was testing the "movie modes" and noticed that when playing a DTS-HD MA track, the options available to me - not listing them all, only the ones I was interested in were DTS-HD MSTR, DTS-HD + Neural:X and DTS-HD + Dolby Surround

I am aware of the capabilities of each of the modes - well I assumed I was until I put them to the test. Both the Neural:X and DSU variants performed as expected, taking a 5.1 native track and upmixing to all speakers (Current set-up 7.2.4). However what I found perplexing was the DTS-HD MSTR mode. I thought that this mode would merely pass the "native" track, in this case 5.1, to my "bed" speakers up to the 5.1 limit of the track. However to my surprise I noted that in fact it took the track and upmixed it to 7.1 (using all speakers in the bed - fronts, centre, sides and rears). Can anyone confirm whether this is by design or whether there might be a setting I'm missing (I did check various tracks, in case I originally had used a 7.1 in error, but all DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks behaved in this way). Dolby HD tracks do not show the same behaviour and if playing a 5.1 track, it plays back on 5.1 channels.

Thanks
That is part of the DTS decoder. It copies the surrounds to the rears when you have 7.1 speakers and a 5.1 input signal.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That is part of the DTS decoder. It copies the surrounds to the rears when you have 7.1 speakers and a 5.1 input signal.

Thanks - so there is no way to circumvent that and get "native" DTS-HD MA audio - without moving to "Direct" which of course bypasses Audyssey.

So pick your poison basically?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks - so there is no way to circumvent that and get "native" DTS-HD MA audio - without moving to "Direct" which of course bypasses Audyssey.

So pick your poison basically?
Correct. However, I don' believe 'Direct " will change anything. It is the DTS decoder. If you only want 5.1, you will probably have to disable the rear speakers in the speaker config. DTS does it because the position for the surround speakers in a 5.1 setup is not the same as in a 7.1 setup. In a 5.1 setup, the surrounds should be placed 110 to 120 degrees while 5.1 90 degrees. By using all 4 speakers (surrounds and rears) with the 5.1 signal you should wind up with a phantom image closer to where the surrounds are supposed to be in a 5.1 setup.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Correct. DTS does it because the position for the surround speakers in a 5.1 setup is not the same as in a 7.1 setup. In a 5.1 setup, the surrounds should be placed 110 to 120 degrees while 5.1 90 degrees. By using all 4 speakers (surrounds and rears) with the 5.1 signal you should wind up with a phantom image closer to where the surrounds are supposed to be in a 5.1 setup.

Thanks for the information. Is this purely a Marantz implementation. Only reason I ask is that my previous Arcam, Pioneer processors and Emotiva RMC-1 didn't and don't do that.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks for the information. Is this purely a Marantz implementation. Only reason I ask is that my previous Arcam, Pioneer processors and Emotiva RMC-1 didn't and don't do that.
As far as I know, it is simply the way the DTS decoder has worked for the last several years. You actually get closer to what the mixer intended by doing this unless you have your surrounds in the wrong position in your 7.1 setup.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Can't speak for other brands, but the expansion occurs with DTS decoders on both Marantz and Denon models.
This happens when I select Dolby Surround also. If the input is 5.1, my surround rears and heights are active. I have had several Yamaha Aventage AVRs that did not do this. Instead, output = input.

Is there a way to get the AV8805 to play Dolby Surround where output = input and remaining speakers disabled?

5401 - 5420 of 5534 Posts