AVS Forum banner

6301 - 6320 of 6368 Posts

·
Registered
15,007 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
you are welcome to disagree. however i can only relay the advice of the denon/marantz tech. who has been dealing with these devices for decades. and he was spot on in advice. and i followed it. and guess what it flipping works. :D

but go ahead and disagree. what do I care :D

it took some work on my part as with my old pioneer kuro hdmi dec control was called kuro link, and took much delving in the menus and a bit of a google to find it to turn it off ! also active cables can be a pita ! as they stay active no matter what ! the other watch out...

but I can confirm it works seamlessly and without issue. thank goodness as i like my dual screen setup. with old tv for every day TV - its good enough. 4k projector for movies and big screen events - sport, concerts and like ....love it :)
Thanks for your informative inputs

Reactions: alebonau

·
Vendor
28,637 Posts
Thanks!

I had an AV8803, so it would have had the DSP bypass, too. Unfortunately, I didn’t (still don’t) have enough room for the additional separate amps, so I replaced it with a receiver when I installed an Atmos system.
Which receiver?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use the Balanced inputs and Pure Direct for an outboard dac and find it transparent , from what I understand it has no processing as well as the 7.1 inputs.
Thought I'd try this today, and on the strength of a single listening session it seems to work pretty well. There must be some bass management still going on because the subwoofer symbol comes up when I adjust the volume. I am not clear whether SW settings are analogue or digital - the handbook is vague as to this - and therefore unclear as to whether Pure Direct is fully a by-pass. Any thoughts?

[By the way - for me the "analogue" chain is Oppo205 XLRs to 8805 to Musical Fidelity kW750 Superchargers (very carefully controlled for volume!) to Quad 2905s. Good enough to make a judgement of quality.]

Dave

·
Registered
346 Posts
Any chance we'll get a firmware upgrade for the AV8805 with Dolby Atmos height virtualization?

·
Registered
16,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
It’s my understanding DTS:X Pro is just as good if not better than Atmos. I haven’t tried it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keeping in mind that DTS:X Pro simply increases the number of speakers that can be configured from 11 --> 13 whether it's preferred over Atmos is purely personal preference.

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Any chance we'll get a firmware upgrade for the AV8805 with Dolby Atmos height virtualization?
Yes. This feature has already been added with a firmware update back in November 2020. The feature itself can only be enabled when there are no Top/Height/Dolby speakers configured (ie. 7.1 or less) and the Dolby Surround mode is selected. Note however, that installing this update has resulted in dialog being passed to the SURROUND speakers regardless of whether the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer is selected or not. Sound United (Denon/Marantz) is working with Dolby to try and resolve this issue.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
It’s my understanding DTS:X Pro is just as good if not better than Atmos. I haven’t tried it yet.
goes beyond atmos is my understanding... eg supports speakers like Ch and Ts that atmos dont ! and auro3D ... and cH for imax

atmos is the odd one out now that does support all speakers DTS-X and auro 3D, Imax do :)

"With Neural:X on, no speakers left silent in 7.1.6 setting" :) is what it says in the sound united presentation :)

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Yes. This feature has already been added with a firmware update back in November 2020. The feature itself can only be enabled when there are no Top/Height/Dolby speakers configured (ie. 7.1 or less) and the Dolby Surround mode is selected. Note however, that installing this update has resulted in dialog being passed to the SURROUND speakers regardless of whether the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer is selected or not. Sound United (Denon/Marantz) is working with Dolby to try and resolve this issue.
hi JD, thanks for highlighting this issue, i do hope they give some option to switch the thing off well and truly for folks with no inclination to use ! it must be driving more than a few folk batty trying to figure out what on earth is going on !

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
hi JD, thanks for highlighting this issue, i do hope they give some option to switch the thing off well and truly for folks with no inclination to use ! it must be driving more than a few folk batty trying to figure out what on earth is going on !
Not sure what "thing" you are referring to as the issue presents regardless of whether the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer is enabled or not?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey all. So a week ago or so I posted about audio drop outs. These drop outs were intermittent, random, and resulted in either strange static, or a high pitch squeal from all speakers.

Given it was Christmas and New Years, I didn’t bother boxing up the Marantz 8805. I decided to wait until the holiday period settled.

We have spent a couple weeks dealing with the issues. Some days it wasn’t very problematic. Others, it happened quite a lot.

So, anyway. I hadn’t really played much music but when I did it sounded, in a word, bad. Not how a $30,000 sound system should sound. It sounded harsh, and as my fiancé put it, irritatingly noisy.

Today I had a light bulb moment. And as a part time club DJ and music producer, I’m kicking myself for not picking up on this earlier....

I haven’t/hadn’t run Audyssey. So all my channel levels were set to 0dB. And since I’m outputting via balanced XLR to my Elektra Theatre power amplifiers, there’s likely a 6dB gain compared to RCA.

Basically, I believe I’ve been running all my channels “hot” to my power amp and everything has sounded as if my volume was too high on the input source. Even if the overall master volume was within normal levels, everything has still sounded super loud and harsh. Particularly in the upper mid and lower highs.

Even with my 8805 set to -35dB, music from Apple Music on my Apple TV 4K was irritatingly noisy and loud.

So today I adjusted the levels. Not with Audyssey yet, but manually. With each channel ranging from -8dB up to -6dB, I feel like I have a new sound system. It sounds smooth and warm and airy like my old 8802 sounded three years ago before I moved out of my home.

Dince making this adjustment I have not had a single cut-out or audio issue. Touch wood - I’m assuming my circuitry either in my Marantz or my Elektra amps were “freaking out” due to the hot signals.

Can anyone here corroborate my findings? Am I right in assuming this was causing my issues all along? Could I have done permanent damage to my components? This could also explain why some shows and movies had no issues while others did, since some streaming services have a lower output signal gain than others.

Could the hotter signal have caused my amps to potentially draw too much power off our 20 amp circuit upon which ALL of my equipment is connected?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Scot.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Not sure what "thing" you are referring to as the issue presents regardless of whether the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer is enabled or not?
do dolby and marantz know what the "thing' is ? am sure if they did we would have had an update out already to rectify ? not that am sure they aren't working furiously to resolve. holiday season and covid in consideration....

·
Registered
200 Posts
do dolby and marantz know what the "thing' is ? am sure if they did we would have had an update out already to rectify ? not that am sure they aren't working furiously to resolve. holiday season and covid in consideration....
This seriously annoying "thing" has been around Q3 of 2019 with no fix. Given that it is now some 18 months later and we still have this "thing", I doubt Dolby is working on a fix or if they are, a fix is even possible. I hope I am wrong.

6301 - 6320 of 6368 Posts