AVS Forum banner

6321 - 6340 of 6368 Posts

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
This seriously annoying "thing" has been around Q3 of 2019 with no fix. Given that it is now some 18 months later and we still have this "thing", I doubt Dolby is working on a fix or if they are, a fix is even possible. I hope I am wrong.
I agree... its pretty concerning really ! how can a flagship unit be left with a flaw like this ... a processor thats not processing properly ? how are you experiencing this StephenB on any particular tracks and any sort of work around for you ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree... its pretty concerning really ! how can a flagship unit be left with a flaw like this ... a processor thats not processing properly ? how are you experiencing this StephenB on any particular tracks and any sort of work around for you ?
I watch a lot of content on streaming services such as CBS All Access, Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc and also on local TV. About 50% of the content that I watch is unfortunately broadcast in stereo. So the choice that I have is to watch in stereo in my 13.2 config (with wides) or put up with the crap centre channel leak using the DSU or use DTS:X. Stereo means I cannot get to use the surround up mixing functionality at all and in my view DTS:X does a poor job at up mixing to 13.2. The previous DSU version of the 8805 firmware did a great job up mixing stereo to 11.2 (the wides were not active in my config). The current DSU version of the 8805 firmware does a piss poor job up mixing to my 13.2 config (the wides are active).

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I watch a lot of content on streaming services such as CBS All Access, Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc and also on local TV. About 50% of the content that I watch is unfortunately broadcast in stereo.
I'd say thats not unusual ! be many folks in that situation. I have quite a few concerts and such with 2.0 pcm tracks. and yes FTA TV is mostly 2.0

So the choice that I have is to watch in stereo in my 13.2 config (with wides) or put up with the crap centre channel leak using the DSU or use DTS:X. Stereo means I cannot get to use the surround up mixing functionality at all and in my view DTS:X does a poor job at up mixing to 13.2.
that is disappointing, it is something i do like is the upmixing of 2.0 source so the whole speaker set gets utilised for quite an enveloping mix. its a shame you are not liking DTS-X ie using neural X for the up mix. I have utilised it to good effect for DTS/DTS-HDMA tracks. but not explored it for upmixing dolby 2.0 or strereo content.

The previous DSU version of the 8805 firmware did a great job up mixing stereo to 11.2 (the wides were not active in my config). The current DSU version of the 8805 firmware does a piss poor job up mixing to my 13.2 config (the wides are active).
I dont understand why they cant just revert this aspect to what was prior till they sort out the situation ? shouldn't take 18 months as you say ?

surprised there are not more folk in this thread jumping up and down :D

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Hey all. So a week ago or so I posted about audio drop outs. These drop outs were intermittent, random, and resulted in either strange static, or a high pitch squeal from all speakers.

Given it was Christmas and New Years, I didn’t bother boxing up the Marantz 8805. I decided to wait until the holiday period settled.

We have spent a couple weeks dealing with the issues. Some days it wasn’t very problematic. Others, it happened quite a lot.

So, anyway. I hadn’t really played much music but when I did it sounded, in a word, bad. Not how a $30,000 sound system should sound. It sounded harsh, and as my fiancé put it, irritatingly noisy.

Today I had a light bulb moment. And as a part time club DJ and music producer, I’m kicking myself for not picking up on this earlier....

I haven’t/hadn’t run Audyssey. So all my channel levels were set to 0dB. And since I’m outputting via balanced XLR to my Elektra Theatre power amplifiers, there’s likely a 6dB gain compared to RCA.

Basically, I believe I’ve been running all my channels “hot” to my power amp and everything has sounded as if my volume was too high on the input source. Even if the overall master volume was within normal levels, everything has still sounded super loud and harsh. Particularly in the upper mid and lower highs.

Even with my 8805 set to -35dB, music from Apple Music on my Apple TV 4K was irritatingly noisy and loud.

So today I adjusted the levels. Not with Audyssey yet, but manually. With each channel ranging from -8dB up to -6dB, I feel like I have a new sound system. It sounds smooth and warm and airy like my old 8802 sounded three years ago before I moved out of my home.

Dince making this adjustment I have not had a single cut-out or audio issue. Touch wood - I’m assuming my circuitry either in my Marantz or my Elektra amps were “freaking out” due to the hot signals.

Can anyone here corroborate my findings? Am I right in assuming this was causing my issues all along? Could I have done permanent damage to my components? This could also explain why some shows and movies had no issues while others did, since some streaming services have a lower output signal gain than others.

Could the hotter signal have caused my amps to potentially draw too much power off our 20 amp circuit upon which ALL of my equipment is connected?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Scot.
Well now! Congrats on getting the issue resolved and yes you where clipping the outputs and or your amps. If all sounds good there should be no damage as the dropouts prevented that. We all have made a blunder like this no matter the years or experience at it.
However per lounge rules you have to Bartend for the weekend:whistle:

·
Registered
38 Posts
has anyone in the forum connected the receiver to provide power like this?
to give cleaner electricity?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well now! Congrats on getting the issue resolved and yes you where clipping the outputs and or your amps. If all sounds good there should be no damage as the dropouts prevented that. We all have made a blunder like this no matter the years or experience at it.
However per lounge rules you have to Bartend for the weekend:whistle:
well I spoke too soon. While I fixed the audio quality issues, the dropouts came back. So I spoke with the Australian distributor of the 8805 and have sent a video showcasing the drop outs. Hopefully Monday they provide me with further advice, although I’m hoping they just tell me to box it up and send it back for a replacement.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
well I spoke too soon. While I fixed the audio quality issues, the dropouts came back. So I spoke with the Australian distributor of the 8805 and have sent a video showcasing the drop outs. Hopefully Monday they provide me with further advice, although I’m hoping they just tell me to box it up and send it back for a replacement.
drop outs not due to a hdmi cable issue is it Scott ? if case thats easily fixed :) without having to send in :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
"surprised there are not more folk in this thread jumping up and down "

I am jumping up and down in eagerness to upgrade my 8802A to then 8805, but have been holding off because of this Dolby Surround "center leakage" issue. Perhaps JdSmoothie can clarify a couple of things. With the 8805 I would have a 13.2 system. My up-mix favorite with the 8802a has been Neural X on all 5.1, 7.1 because I use wides and prefer it over Dolby Surround anyway. So I would continue with it on the 8805. For Atmos titles I use Atmos. So my question is if the "center leakage" issue only arises when using Dolby Surround up-mix and not with Atmos titles. And if I was to use DTS's up-mix for all up-mix uses, then I would never run into the leakage issue I assume. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
"surprised there are not more folk in this thread jumping up and down "

I am jumping up and down in eagerness to upgrade my 8802A to then 8805, but have been holding off because of this Dolby Surround "center leakage" issue. Perhaps JdSmoothie can clarify a couple of things. With the 8805 I would have a 13.2 system. My up-mix favorite with the 8802a has been Neural X on all 5.1, 7.1 because I use wides and prefer it over Dolby Surround anyway. So I would continue with it on the 8805. For Atmos titles I use Atmos. So my question is if the "center leakage" issue only arises when using Dolby Surround up-mix and not with Atmos titles. And if I was to use DTS's up-mix for all up-mix uses, then I would never run into the leakage issue I assume. Is that correct?
No worries for your use case. :)

The issue concerns 2CH sources when using the DSU to up-mix to the surround speakers.

Using DD 5.1 or Atmos source audio or when using DTS Neural:X on any source should not be an issue.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I am jumping up and down in eagerness to upgrade my 8802A to then 8805, but have been holding off because of this Dolby Surround "center leakage" issue
am with you brother :D

if I was to use DTS's up-mix for all up-mix uses, then I would never run into the leakage issue I assume. Is that correct?
this is definitely a work aorund

Using DD 5.1 or Atmos source audio or when using DTS Neural:X on any source should not be an issue.
are there not many current owners with 2.0 source ? are all of them just upmixing with neural X ? seems crazy dolby can't resolve this and taking so long that its unusable for anything below DD5.1 ie 2.0 mixes which would be a lot for folk i would think eg TV, older blu-ray/DVD movies. heck there are even UHD blu-ray (old movie re release)i have come across with 2.0 :D

·
Vendor
28,641 Posts
has anyone in the forum connected the receiver to provide power like this?
to give cleaner electricity?
Power conditioner are supposed to work well, I do not use one myself though. If you have big amps I would not plug those in a power conditioner as those should be plugged into there own circuit and outlet.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks JD for the reply. I may go ahead and get the 8805 anyway. I assume it'll have the previous firmware on it and I may just wait to update the firmware after the "fix" is in. I'll be limited to 11.2 for the Neural for now, but that's where I am now anyway with the 8802a.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes. This feature has already been added with a firmware update back in November 2020. The feature itself can only be enabled when there are no Top/Height/Dolby speakers configured (ie. 7.1 or less) and the Dolby Surround mode is selected. Note however, that installing this update has resulted in dialog being passed to the SURROUND speakers regardless of whether the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer is selected or not. Sound United (Denon/Marantz) is working with Dolby to try and resolve this issue.
Do I need to do something to enable Dolby Atmos Height Virutalizer on the AV8805? I don't see it in the menus (which tell me I have the latest firmware). I have a 7.1 speaker configuration (L,R,C,surround, rear surround, sub).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do I need to do something to enable Dolby Atmos Height Virutalizer on the AV8805? I don't see it in the menus (which tell me I have the latest firmware). I have a 7.1 speaker configuration (L,R,C,surround, rear surround, sub).
I think I found it. Speaker virtualizer On/Off.

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
I think I found it. Speaker virtualizer On/Off.
Yup. That would be it. Note only accessible when the Dolby Surround upmixer is selected as a surround mode along with no Top/Height/Dolby speakers configured.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They are supposed to work well, I do not use one myself though. If you have big amps I would not plug those in a conditioner as those should be plugged into there own circuit and outlet.
unfortunately I did not understand what you wrote
They are supposed to work well
what works well?

If you have big amps I would not plug those in a conditioner as those should be plugged into there own circuit and outlet.
nothing is understood
I'm talking about 8805
do not understand where you are connecting this?
and what's wrong with this device?

·
Registered
89 Posts
not my mistake in the number AV8805 not 8015
This has nothing to do with either model. The product you list is one of several that offer power protection and conditioning/purification. Audioquest, Furman, etc. all make such products. I personally use Furman & Audioquest. Any power surge, and you will wish you had one. The better units eliminate electrical noise as well. How much you wish to spend, the more grunge is removed. Again, the forum to read up on them is under AC power, if it exists.

6321 - 6340 of 6368 Posts